Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lets See Your Best Conga Picture

User Info Menu

Default Re: Lets See Your Best Conga Picture

Quote Originally Posted by luv4congas View Post
    It is mainly for mule, it's not for all skins especially buffalo but I did try it on two of my cow skins and was very pleased. This is the way I do it..... Take the head off and pour a little extra virgin olive oil on the inside, rub it in with your fingers until the entire inside is coated then let sit for three days. Wipe the excess and re mount the head slowly. Then repeat for the top. It takes a couple of week to cure but everyday after that just gets better, the color of the head is beautiful, the feel is smooth and the sound is warm. The way I understand your supposed to do it is to submerge the whole head in olive oil...Yah right! My wife would kill my if I used all of her olive oil for that. I sold one of the drums last weekend to a professional who owned Jay bereks skin on skins. He really liked the head and said shea butter, coconut oil, lanolin oil never made his skins feel that nice and demanded I tell him my secret!
    I love the feel of the mule and the crisp slaps! ...cant' wait to give it a bath in extra virgin olive oil! Mules rock! thanks L4C.
    LP Matador Quinto and Conga w/stands and matching Matador Bongos.

"Middle age is when you still believe you'll feel better in the morning."

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Lets See Your Best Conga Picture

bongobill--love those Valjes, man...you and kona both have some awesome congas in those pix!

bongocajon--wouldn't try a rimshot on that flower pot! But those mule skins??? I'm with L4C on jumping through the monitor!

cdaug--good to see ya again!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

nice pictures everyone! but i must say, Love4congas first picture really takes the cake
    The only way to catch a butterfly is never waiting for the wings.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gretsch View Post
    nice pictures everyone! but i must say, Love4congas first picture really takes the cake
    Thanks Gretsch! It’s amazing what you can do with an old 2.0 mega pixel camera and a set of beginner drums.
    L4C

User Info Menu

in your case, "L4C" could also be "luv4cameras!"

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gretsch View Post
    I totally agree.
    All the photos are great but the first one is truely outstanding - very sparkly and just a great photo of those drums. Nice work L4c !
    Gary

User Info Menu

LOL! I like that! (Love 4 cameras) It's got a good ring to it! Very cool Bongobro!

Thanks Kona, It might be a nice picture but your Valje's are a work of art!

L4C

User Info Menu

LOL! I like that! (Love 4 cameras) It's got a good ring to it! Very cool Bongobro!

Thanks Kona, It might be a nice picture but your Valje's are a work of art!

L4C
    L4C (L4cams ) Thanks too - The Valje's are great drums alright. I really lucked out when I decided to buy them. They're just starting to tune up nice with the new LP buffalo heads that I put on a few months ago. But - I can't really wait to hear them with new (hand picked by Ralph Flores) cowhides on them. Like I said before - there are a lot of very nice conga drums out there -I've seen a lot on this Percussion Forum that are looking very nice indeed.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Gary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kona View Post
    L4C (L4cams ) Thanks too - The Valje's are great drums alright. I really lucked out when I decided to buy them. They're just starting to tune up nice with the new LP buffalo heads that I put on a few months ago. But - I can't really wait to hear them with new (hand picked by Ralph Flores) cowhides on them. Like I said before - there are a lot of very nice conga drums out there -I've seen a lot on this Percussion Forum that are looking very nice indeed.
    You also lucked out when you decided to keep them That a real nice pic of the Valje's. How does the requinto sound with the hand pick? Is it your primary drum? Or do you play it up front, to the left or to your right?
    L4C

User Info Menu

They're just starting to tune up nice with the new LP buffalo heads that I put on a few months ago. But - I can't really wait to hear them with new (hand picked by Ralph Flores) cowhides on them.
    The difference will be night and day with Ralphs skins! They are definitely beautiful drums Kona! I really dig that rug too, wish I had one like that for my drums.

User Info Menu

There's just something about Congas that just represent relaxation, i love it. Beautiful drums everyone they look awesome. Hopefully soon i'll have a set.
    www.fadesaway.com

Matt...
    Fades Away

Forever I am Forgiven, and Forever, I will Rejoice.

User Info Menu

You also lucked out when you decided to keep them That a real nice pic of the Valje's. How does the requinto sound with the hand pick? Is it your primary drum? Or do you play it up front, to the left or to your right?
    L4C
    If you're asking how the Quinto sounds with the recently tucked buffalo - it's got a nice high pop - not bad so far. Years ago when I played more I played the Quinto to my left (I'm right handed). But now I tend to play the Quinto as my primary, conga on the right, tumba left (sometimes I switch these two around) and I now play my supertumba behind the quinto out front. When I first started (32 years ago) I played them left to right quinto, conga (primary), tumba and supertumba (like a couple of floor toms).
    My drums are:
    QUINTO 30.5” tall X 9.75
    CONGA 30.75” X 10.75
    TUMBA 30.75” X 11.75
    SUPERTUMBA 30.25” X12.75
    and I have the 6.75 & 8” Bongos

Quinto, conga, tumba and supertumba.
    Last edited by kona; 06-03-2009 at 09:23 PM.
    Gary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gretschhead View Post
    The difference will be night and day with Ralphs skins! They are definitely beautiful drums Kona! I really dig that rug too, wish I had one like that for my drums.
    Thanks
    It's actually kind of like a Saree (Sari) made of cotton - it's thin and the print is right straight through (the same on both sides). I picked it up more than 30 years ago after seeing one hanging in a drum retail store in Vancouver BC. I don't use it as a rug - I use it as a nice backdrop when I take photos of my drums.

Quote Originally Posted by Fades Away View Post
    Hopefully soon i'll have a set.
    If you hold that thought long and hard enough you will have some nice congas one day - hopefully sooner than later man
    Gary

User Info Menu

Man those LPs are sweet! Nothing says vintage better than gold sparkle !!

User Info Menu

Holy smoke leedy2 you have a very nice collection of drums! I am a big fan of old Lp's! Nice set of pearls too! How do you like the Buaers? I here alot of good things about them.
    L4C

User Info Menu

My set up at church ....
    Attached Images Attached Images

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jdl1881 View Post
    My set up at church ....
    Are those LPs or Volcano's jdl?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BongoCajon View Post
    Are those LPs or Volcano's jdl?
    Looks like LP Performer Series

User Info Menu

My set up at church ....
    Cool setup, jdl...obviously you play standing up, and the way you have 'em lined up makes it easy for you to jump back and forth between bongos and congas...now if I can convince our ensemble director that I need mics for each drum...

Charlie

User Info Menu

LP Performers. I have 4 mics all together going into the mixer, then just one output to the main board to make it easier on the sound guy. Our church band can get pretty loud and the drumset is right behind me, so I have in-ear monitors.

User Info Menu

BTW - Kinda hard to see, but that box just behind the bongos is a Meinl Bobgo Cajon. I play it with cymbol/padded sticks.. really nice for quiter/softer stuff. Also I have the mounted Tamb and a triangle and small symbol hanging from it.

Thanks for the comments!

User Info Menu

BTW - Kinda hard to see, but that box just behind the bongos is a Meinl Bobgo Cajon. I play it with cymbol/padded sticks.. really nice for quiter/softer stuff. Also I have the mounted Tamb and a triangle and small symbol hanging from it.

Thanks for the comments!
    I love the woody sound when i play the Meinl Bongo Cajon. The closer I play to the edge the better the tone.

User Info Menu

Nice drums jdl1881, Boy.. I bet those Performers sound great on the mics! I like the way Performers sound on stands, they have great projection! I had a set that I played sitting and they sounded really sweet when I replaced the skins with cow. Lp really gives them a sweet finish too!
    L4C