Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lets See Your Best Conga Picture

User Info Menu

Default Lets See Your Best Conga Picture

Lets see your best Conga pic! Yours, someone else, old or new, black and white, color. It doesn't matter, just show us!
    Here's just a set of Lp Performers Series but check out the electric bolt coming off the tumba on the right and all the colors that come in to play on the pic.
    Attached Images Attached Images

User Info Menu

Default Re: Lets See Your Best Conga Picture

L4C, I only have the LP Aspires (aspiring seems to be the right word for me), but here's what they look like:
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Lets See Your Best Conga Picture

Okay...enjoy the view from behind the wheel...
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Pastor Bob, thats a great pics of your congas, stand and bongos. They look brand new! Bongobro, I'd like to take a test drive on that set! I bet the Pancho Sanchez tumba with the old school CP's sounds great!
    L4C

User Info Menu

Here's my Valje's

User Info Menu

Another angle showing my Valje's with LP Aspire bongos

User Info Menu

Wow, they look brand new, what sizes? Has kona seen these?
    Very sweet pic Bongobill

User Info Menu

11 3/4, 10 3/4, 9 3/4. I got them in '72.

User Info Menu

Cool.

User Info Menu

I don't know about the best photos of my drums - maybe these are. The first one is me in the late 70's (last century!).

The second photo is my Valjes indoors a couple of days ago and about a week after re-finishing the lot - still haven't set them up yet but I'm tuning and "boping" on them a little.

Final photo is them outside a few days ago......different lighting - this is closer to the real colour - not a scratch or dint in them and nice-n-shiny.
    Last edited by kona; 05-26-2009 at 11:45 PM. Reason: took the old photos out - they're for another post
    Gary

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat StrumPluckTap!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

Im not trying to be cute with this post. This is my solution to the arsenal of hand drums I would like to have at my disposal while behind a kit. I love this instruments versatility.

[IMG][/IMG]

User Info Menu

Cdaug! Good to see ya dude!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bongobill View Post
    Here's my Valje's
    Wowa! Those are some beautiful drums bongbill! Love the photo and setting - nice touch. 1972 ! They look new!

Where did you buy them if I may ask? Do they have the 3314 Sunset Boulevard address on them? Just curious. I think Ralph Flores would like to see those drums if he hasn't already. They look like they have cowhide skins not the water buffalo is that right?
    Last edited by kona; 05-26-2009 at 11:24 PM.
    Gary

User Info Menu

Hey Kona,
    I bought the drums directly from Tom Flores. He was not exporting to canada when I ordered them, so I had to have them shipped to washington and drove down to get them. The address is 3312 not 3314. He had the two shops. The 3314 are the older models. I went to Calgary to a leather wholesaler to pick out a side of cowhide. I wanted all the drums to be skinned from the same animal. I am not a water buffalo fan for Valjes or Gon Bops. I don't mind it on some of the newer drums, just not on mine.

By the way, you refinish job look fantastic.

User Info Menu

Hey Kona,
    When digging around the house and found the original bill of sale. I bought the drums in Nov 1973, and Tom was the contact person.
    Bill

User Info Menu

Hey Kona,
    I bought the drums directly from Tom Flores. He was not exporting to canada when I ordered them, so I had to have them shipped to washington and drove down to get them. The address is 3312 not 3314. He had the two shops. The 3314 are the older models. I went to Calgary to a leather wholesaler to pick out a side of cowhide. I wanted all the drums to be skinned from the same animal. I am not a water buffalo fan for Valjes or Gon Bops. I don't mind it on some of the newer drums, just not on mine.

By the way, you refinish job look fantastic.
    Thanks - it was worth the 5+ weeks it took to do it.
    I bought mine from Ray Ayotte - Drums Only! - Vancouver

I may end up getting some good even cowhide some day - it's the way to go I'm sure. I've never been satisfied with the water buffalo. The original cowhide was much better. I had to tuck the heads a few years ago and didn't have a contact for cowhide and went with the LP buffalo from Artdrum. I mean - they sound like congas, pretty good actually, but probably not like they did with the cowhide.

Your drums are some of the NICEST looking Valjes I've seen. You've taken good care of them.
    Gary

User Info Menu

Hey Kona,
    When digging around the house and found the original bill of sale. I bought the drums in Nov 1973, and Tom was the contact person.
    Bill
    Man! That's organization - the original bill of sale. that's

I haven't got that and I seem to remember paying around $800 - $1,000 or so for the four drums and under $200 for the bongos - that may be a little off but not much I think. Ray always gave me a great deal on whatever I bought from him. I don't think I could get that for them now - they're pretty old.
    The thing I remeber most about buying the drums was Greg Lake and Carl Palmer were in the store at the time and I had a little chat with Mr. Palmer - one of my favorite drummers back then.
    Gary

User Info Menu

Hey Kona,
    It good to hear that you knew Ray as well. I did a lot business with him when he had the shop on Kingsway. We did some drum designs as well. My daughter is playing Ayotte drums now. When you were in Vancouver, did you ever run into a drummer called Cherub? He played a set of Valje's as well.
    Bill

User Info Menu

Hey Kona,
    It good to hear that you knew Ray as well. I did a lot business with him when he had the shop on Kingsway. We did some drum designs as well. My daughter is playing Ayotte drums now. When you were in Vancouver, did you ever run into a drummer called Cherub? He played a set of Valje's as well.
    Bill
    That's great - a lot of drum history there (Axis, Drums Only! & Ayotte drums). You must be very proud of your daughter playing drums, and Ayotte drums at that - good to hear.
    No I did not know Cherub. I moved to Kelowna in 1973 and got away from the Lower Mainland music scene other than travelling down to Vancouver to shop at Drums Only! and take a lesson or two from Mandido (Dido) Morris (Dido And The Hand People). I was sad to hear of his passing this last January.
    Gary

User Info Menu

Semi-Best. I could have looked for a little more unique background.
    LP Matador Quinto and Conga w/stands and matching Matador Bongos.

"Middle age is when you still believe you'll feel better in the morning."

User Info Menu

Ooooh yaaahhh... the sweet mule, nice! just want to jump through my monitor and put some slaps on that skin! Did you hear about the new olive oil treatment for mule yet? everyones doing it!
    L4C

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by luv4congas View Post
    Ooooh yaaahhh... the sweet mule, nice! just want to jump through my monitor and put some slaps on that skin! Did you hear about the new olive oil treatment for mule yet? everyones doing it!
    L4C
    No, tell me more. Not any water in the base I hope?
    LP Matador Quinto and Conga w/stands and matching Matador Bongos.

"Middle age is when you still believe you'll feel better in the morning."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BongoCajon View Post
    Semi-Best. I could have looked for a little more unique background.
    Very nice BongoC !!
    I love the setting........peacful. Nothing like congas outside..........Great shot!
    Gary

User Info Menu

It is mainly for mule, it's not for all skins especially buffalo but I did try it on two of my cow skins and was very pleased. This is the way I do it..... Take the head off and pour a little extra virgin olive oil on the inside, rub it in with your fingers until the entire inside is coated then let sit for three days. Wipe the excess and re mount the head slowly. Then repeat for the top. It takes a couple of week to cure but everyday after that just gets better, the color of the head is beautiful, the feel is smooth and the sound is warm. The way I understand your supposed to do it is to submerge the whole head in olive oil...Yah right! My wife would kill my if I used all of her olive oil for that. I sold one of the drums last weekend to a professional who owned Jay bereks skin on skins. He really liked the head and said shea butter, coconut oil, lanolin oil never made his skins feel that nice and demanded I tell him my secret!