Thread: Cajon Box Drum Help

User Info Menu

Default Cajon Box Drum Help

I have recently purchased a basic stringed cajon and I love playing it. I want to get better so I was wondering if there are any insructional videos/ books that can help me improve my skills? Thanks

Stephen

User Info Menu

Default Re: Cajon Box Drum Help

Mel Bay has a introduction to the cajon book called "Mel Bay presents Studies for Cajon" that I haven't seen, but have heard was decent. Also, you can check out some of the youtube videos like:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-IMARby9gA"]YouTube - Jen's Meinl Pick Up Cajon[/ame]

BongoCajon may have more resources than I do....
    ---- If thine enemy wrong thee, buy each of his children a drum. - chinese proverb

User Info Menu

Default Re: Cajon Box Drum Help

Quote Originally Posted by scalesdrum View Post
    I have recently purchased a basic stringed cajon and I love playing it. I want to get better so I was wondering if there are any insructional videos/ books that can help me improve my skills? Thanks

Stephen
    Hi Stephen,

I am not aware of any but if you type in your goggle search certain /phrases like "cajon lessons...or...cajon instruction...playing cajons...and so on chances are you will nail a couple of instructional videos.

I have found this instrument to be VERY forgiving and it allows you to sound great whoever you are! It's one of those things Stephen that you can just pop in a CD and play along and most likely sound pretty good.
    The upper 1/3 of the instrument is your playing surface. There is no need to play any lower or bend your back. Keep good posture! The middle upper 1/3 is your bass tones and your corners are your slaps and the upper top is your snare sounds.

Have fun!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    LP Matador Quinto and Conga w/stands and matching Matador Bongos.

"Middle age is when you still believe you'll feel better in the morning."