Thread: Is it possible to make a floor tom sound like a tympani?

User Info Menu

Default Is it possible to make a floor tom sound like a tympani?

I have been fascinated for a while with tympani, but I have no place to haul such a large instrument. I do remember seeing this thing advertised online called the "Trash Kat", so named because it is shaped like a trash can on the outside, and it has a clear drum head on top. I saw a video with Adrian Young (No Doubt) playing it, he has it in his drum kit, and it does have that booming, powerful tympani sound, even though it's a floor tom. I have not yet bought a drum kit yet, but is there any way to make the floor tom sound like tympani? Would a pedal help?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Is it possible to make a floor tom sound like a tympani?

Id say you could. If its a big enough floor tom. Also if you played it with timpani mallet as opposed to a drumstick, Im sure that would help achieve that sound.

And if you reeeeaaaaally want a timpani, they make mini ones. Im not sure what company it is but I saw one in Modern Drummer once.

User Info Menu

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I didn't know they made "mini" tympani drums, I will have to do a Google search on that. In terms of size, how big would the floor tom have to be, is there any particular brand you would suggest, and are there any resources online on how to play tympani?

User Info Menu

contact precision drum, they can tell you how to make anything, and give you materials to do it as well.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments