Thread: KeyHoling...For noobs.

User Info Menu

Default KeyHoling...For noobs.

Keyholing is seen on cymbals particularly older cymbals where the plastic sleave was not replaced when it wore out causing metal to metal contact with the metal post seen in the cymbal as a fracture or extending of the cymbals central hole futher into the bell. There is different levels of keyholing with some having cracks extending past the slot in the hole going far into the bell and others with minor keyholing. If not to bad most time the extended hole can be repaired no problem and the cymbal will serve you very well for a long time. It's the more damaging and rough fractured in appearence extended keyholing far into the bell with multiple cracks and hairline cracks that can cause the cymbal to have a altered effect to it's sound and impossible to repair.

If your new find has minor keyholing just clean up the extended area with a small round file carefully and then clean and smooth up the edge so it does not bind on a plastic sleave with fine sandpaper and your set to go.

Many old fine cymbals have this damage and some sell for mega $$$$ on the vintage used market. As long as it is not to far out of control and can be cleaned up with some simple repair work as suggested your fine since it will not have a noticable effect on it's sound.

User Info Menu

Default Re: KeyHoling...For noobs.

Good info Shortstack!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

You can also put rivets in the cymbal where you keyholed it, and really go to town.

User Info Menu

Does the hardware in a new drum set usually come with sleeves for the cymbal stands?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vipergts2207 View Post
    Does the hardware in a new drum set usually come with sleeves for the cymbal stands?
    Yes, normally the hardware in a drumset, or even when you just buy a stand, will have the sleeves already on the stand(s). If for some reason they do not, I'd highly suggest buying a few at guitar center for a few bucks and saving your cymbals.
    Gretsch - Tama - Pearl - Sabian - Zildjian - Stagg - Evans - Vater - Gibraltar

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat Rabidpenguin (that may take a little explanation)!

Thanks for the input!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rabidpenguin45 View Post
    Yes, normally the hardware in a drumset, or even when you just buy a stand, will have the sleeves already on the stand(s). If for some reason they do not, I'd highly suggest buying a few at guitar center for a few bucks and saving your cymbals.
    or you can do what i did for one of my sets....

i took eletrical tape (or any tape) and wrapped a few layers around the area where the cymbal would come in contact with the stand. works great.
    The only way to catch a butterfly is never waiting for the wings.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gretsch View Post
    or you can do what i did for one of my sets....

i took eletrical tape (or any tape) and wrapped a few layers around the area where the cymbal would come in contact with the stand. works great.
    Just be sure to check it periodically. I went that route before and was surprised how quickly the cymbal would "eat through" the tape.
    Scott G
    Follow me on twitter
    My discography sample
    Strange Americans

Gear:
    Brady
    Gretsch
    Ludwig
    Paiste
    Bosphorus

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Scottie_Guns View Post
    Just be sure to check it periodically. I went that route before and was surprised how quickly the cymbal would "eat through" the tape.
    ..well then you had better check your technique
    ...a properly played cymbal chews its tape 32 times

-Les

User Info Menu

........or just buy the sleeves. Don't put a an expensive cymbal (sheet or cast) on a stand with tape on it! Your talking about spending pennies to save dollars here.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cdaug View Post
    ........or just buy the sleeves. Don't put a an expensive cymbal (sheet or cast) on a stand with tape on it! Your talking about spending pennies to save dollars here.
    That was my point, cdaug. Tape will only last so long, and you run the risk of damage if you aren't constantly changing it. I learned that many years ago when I noticed "buzzing" on my taped cymbal. I quickly replaced that tape with a sleeve.
    Scott G
    Follow me on twitter
    My discography sample
    Strange Americans

Gear:
    Brady
    Gretsch
    Ludwig
    Paiste
    Bosphorus