Thread: Sticks

User Info Menu

Post Sticks

Who here uses Vic Firth sticks?
    I love them.
    Percussion is the pulse. With out a pulse, ya dead.
    GIRL DRUMMERS ROCK!!!

User Info Menu

I just got a couple pairs today!

5A i do think they are, im still trying to settle on a stick brand and stick size.... i used to use 2B but those are too fat, 5B was really nice, and i went to get another pair of ludwig 5B but they didnt have them, so i got some vic firth 5A, their holding up great for me after a 2 hour jam session

User Info Menu

i use vicfirth 7a´s and they have always worked for me. But i am a very soft hitter.

User Info Menu

I played Vic Firth for about 10 years. I pretty much played the same serie, but its name has changed over the years. Started out as Classic Rock, then to America Rock, then to Rock, and now is Rockn'.

I has switched over to the Lars Urlich Ahead drumsticks series. A little better overall feel than the Vic Firth, plus the Aheads weigh a bit more. Also, I use to break about a pair of stick every practice. With the Ahead sticks, I have broke one sleeve in two weeks.

Keith

User Info Menu

My favorite pair of Vic Firth sticks are Peter Ersking's. They are pretty thin. That's good cause i hav ekinda small hands.
    Percussion is the pulse. With out a pulse, ya dead.
    GIRL DRUMMERS ROCK!!!

User Info Menu

I play with black a silver macrolas sticks. I have been using this one pair for a while now and it wears very little. Sounds great and is very well balanced. Looks great too!
    ~John K.~

User Info Menu

Default Vic Firth

Been drumming since '64. I like VF 5Bs. I always spent time at the music stores rolling sticks to try to get a pair that weren't warped, then trying all the straight ones to see which two had the right balance and response (ok, they just felt "right"). One day I tried these new sticks by Vic Firth because they boasted of being straight and balanced right out of the plastic sleeve...sure 'nuff, they were (!) and I been using them since...always 5Bs, as I still like to rock out.

If I can't find any VFs, I've used Vaters and I like them almost as much but still have to go through all the rolling to find a good pair.

User Info Menu

I used to play Vic Firth sticks, 5B with the ball tip, and loved them, best wood stick out there in my opinion, but I was at guitar center awhile back and picked up a pair of 5B ahead sticks and instantly feel in love with them, they are so balanced, and they feel awesome, and they last forever, so now I play with ahead sticks.

User Info Menu

I use Vic Firth 5Bs much of the time.

User Info Menu

Vic Firth or Pro Mark 7ANs for me.

I know what you're thinking, Metal Drummer using Jazz sticks? How many pairs do you go through?

Seriously, these sticks are invulnerable. I had a set for 4 months, and I'm a hard hitter.

HB58
    My Kit: Pearl Session Custom 7 Piece w/ Zildjian Cymbals
    My Band: Lead Redemption
    Current Favourite Band: Necrophagist
    Current Favourite Song: To Rid The Disease - Opeth
    Next purchase: Pearl 18"x16" Floor Tom, Zildjian A Custom Crash

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

I like my Vic Firths but my Pro mark 747 rock really are the best in my book
    Band: System of a Down
    Song: Atwa

Current: four way independence

User Info Menu

I used to play pro mark 747 and like them alot, then I tried Vic Firth 5Bs and ditched the 747, then I tried aheads and the rest is history.

User Info Menu

I have vic firth 7bs those are heavier i'm assuming?

User Info Menu

Uh, well, theres no system for the sticks, at least no ones created one, but seeing as how 7A is the thinnest, and 5A is really thin

2B is really fat, and 5B is thinner, i bet 7B would be thin? if they excist

User Info Menu

i bought a couple pairs of vic firth rock stix at the local music store but i dont like them at all

way too bulky and heavy, feels like im holding a tree trunk in each hand

this is prolly just cuz i bought thick stix but ill stick with my Vater 5B's
    MY KIT: 5 Piece Westbury, Remo Ambassador Heads and Remo Muff'l Rings on all drums, Sabian AA 20" Metal-X Ride, Zildjian ZXT 16" Rock Crash, Pearl 14" Hats, Pearl 18" Crash Ride, Wuhan 12" China

Band Website:

The Torpedo Identity

http://www.myspace.com/thetorpedoidentity
    http://www.purevolume.com/blacksunn

User Info Menu

a 7B should be somewhere in between a 7AN and a 5AN.

A little thicker than the 7AN and a bit thinner than the 5AN.

My music store didn't have any 7ANs in stock when I went to buy sticks yesterday, so I ended up settling for the Vic Firth SD4 Combo N. Anyone else heard of these sticks?

They're basically the same thickness as a 7AN but without the Teardrop Nylon tip. They have a round nylon tip instead. They're pretty good, but I like the teardrop better.

HB58

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

Eh, zildjian or vic firth really needs to release a actual system for sizing sticks, cuz once big brands do that, then everyone else would follow

User Info Menu

Isn't it already done?

The smaller the number the thicker the stick?

N means Nylon tips?

A and B relate to length or something?

HB58

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

Wink

I don't know if there are 7bs but turns out my7 vics are 7a's. I used to like 'em until I found my pro mark 747 rock, they are so much lighter and easier to play with in my opinion. It's like amp said it feels like you're holding tree trunks in each hand.

User Info Menu

are Zildjian sticks any good?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drum_Fiend
    are Zildjian sticks any good?
    depends, for some people they last a long time, and for others (including me ) they break easy
    The egg approves!

User Info Menu

Zildjian stix blow, they are terrible

i agree with eggman they break SOOOO easily
    MY KIT: 5 Piece Westbury, Remo Ambassador Heads and Remo Muff'l Rings on all drums, Sabian AA 20" Metal-X Ride, Zildjian ZXT 16" Rock Crash, Pearl 14" Hats, Pearl 18" Crash Ride, Wuhan 12" China

Band Website:

The Torpedo Identity

http://www.myspace.com/thetorpedoidentity
    http://www.purevolume.com/blacksunn

User Info Menu

is anyone else having problems with chips coming out of the tips of pro mark 7as? I just got a new pair today but theres alread a tiny chunk missing from it.
    and i swear i don't hit the tips on the rims