Thread: Value of new heads

User Info Menu

Default Value of new heads

As a long time player, I hadn't really paid attention to different heads. Just kept replacing the Remo Pinstripes that came on my 1986 Tama's when they broke or were really worn.

Recently decided to switch to the Evans G2/G1 combo, and wow what a difference. I know many have had similar experiences.

So my son and I have been torturing over getting his Tama Superstar Hyper-Drives tuned well. I thought something was wrong with the lugs, the hoops might be out of round. Almost brought them back to the store.

After some thought and chat on DC, I bought G2/G1's for all the toms, and an EMAD2 for the kick. Voila, problem solved. They aren't tuned perfectly yet because we ran out of time, but the difference is immense. While the stock heads are supposedly decent for OEM heads, they had been on for a while and who knows what had been done to them even though they looked new. Next up is swapping the snare heads (or just batter for now).

The point of this thread is for anyone getting new drums, unless they are brand name heads or you can't afford to, I would change the heads right away. I know Kevin changed the heads on his Cat Maples right away and there was a huge difference.

Just sharing another positive experience that has come out of my continued involvement in the DC community.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

Default Re: Value of new heads

An excellent observation Kaosotis. I'm glad to hear the drums have come alive!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I find it really odd that manufacturers don't put better stock heads on their kits and charge a tiny bit more... after all, many people will make the decision of what to buy based on the way the drums sound on the showroom floor.

I guess the market it just too competitive to justify adding to the price.

User Info Menu

Just like buying a car...you want better quality tires, you have to upgrade to what you want.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by holycow77 View Post
    I find it really odd that manufacturers don't put better stock heads on their kits and charge a tiny bit more... after all, many people will make the decision of what to buy based on the way the drums sound on the showroom floor.

I guess the market it just too competitive to justify adding to the price.
    That would be my guess considering that Starclassics come with Evans G2/G1 combo.
    Jesse

2016 Roland TD-25K

User Info Menu

i only all drums came upgraded like that
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Whenever I look at the price of a drum set, I always add $200 (approx.) to the price to include a complete head swap. So when I look at a Mapex Meridian that costs $880, I think oh that will cost me about $1,080.
    Matt

User Info Menu

top and bottom wise, heads for my kit would be just a little over that, so it should be a lot less
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

I can be $200 if you do batters and resos on a full kit. I did his 4 toms and an EMAD2 for the kick. I think it was about $140.
    Jesse

2016 Roland TD-25K