Thread: rudiments

User Info Menu

Default rudiments

they have always been a weak point with me but I intend to do something about that.
    I was wondering if anyone here uses one of those pads to practice them on,I was going to get one to take to work for my downtime.
    That way I could practice them.

just looking for input from those who use them.

Thanks

User Info Menu

Default Re: rudiments

yes I have a pad at work (and one in the truck!), and yes I do my rudiments on the pad. I also just picked up Stick Control. Now there is some serious pad work..
    Yamaha DTXtreme III FrankenXpress w/ various pads and cymbals
    Pearl Eliminator w/Vater Bomber
    Roc-N-Soc Motion
    Vater 7A Sugar Maple
    Simmons DA-200S
    Sony MDR-7506
    MacBookPro Core2 Duo 2.33,4gb,500gb w/SD2, Reason 4, and LE9

http://s591.photobucket.com/albums/ss358/Charlygo/

User Info Menu

I ALWAYS use a pad to practice rudiments, and a metronome as well. Saves the ears, saves the neighbours, and allows you to practice "full on," without worrying.

Andy

User Info Menu

Rudiments are ridiculously useful, they will change the way you play if you aren't familiar with a lot of them. I got lucky and learned a lot of them when I played snare in marching band, but definitely go with the pad, that is what I still use now.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
    I ALWAYS use a pad to practice rudiments, and a metronome as well. Saves the ears, saves the neighbours, and allows you to practice "full on," without worrying.

Andy

this +1000

although, you just have to remember that pad has much more rebound than the drum head.

http://bipolarbarbierocks.com

Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post
    Quit belly aching and just do it...no other way.
    - RIP Frank

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Quadcam79 View Post
    this +1000

although, you just have to remember that pad has much more rebound than the drum head.
    I dont think so I mean my practice pad and snare pretty much feel the same. Now toms yes it bounces better then those but so does my snare. Maybe it is your pad. I have one of thr HQ Real Feels.

Pads are great for practicing rudiments. I use mine everyday, along with the book Stick Control. Also much quiter then real drums.

User Info Menu

I forgot to say use a metronome and using heavier sticks on your practice pad really can help your speed and smoothness on the kit.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CharlyG View Post
    yes I have a pad at work (and one in the truck!), and yes I do my rudiments on the pad. I also just picked up Stick Control. Now there is some serious pad work..
    I have practiced to Stick Control for over 25 years. In fact, I just purchased a new copy a couple of weeks ago to replace the old one that was falling apart. I play the exercises on my snare over a constant 16th pattern on my bass drums along with a metronome. It is great for your hands and can be easily applied to your kit.
    A good drummer will sound good on anything(even stock drum heads). A bad drummer will sound bad on anything.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Quadcam79 View Post
    this +1000

Use the black rubber side of the pad. It is hard and has less rebound than a drum head.
    A good drummer will sound good on anything(even stock drum heads). A bad drummer will sound bad on anything.

User Info Menu

rudiments are like guidebooks of the drumming universe. i tried a few of them at slower speeds for awhile and got better as a result
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

I like my VF drum pad. I put a Kevlar patch on the black side and traced the same patch on the "gray" side to give me a focal point. I think it is the best investment I have made pertaining to drums. Works great late night in front of the TV.

User Info Menu

I been using this pad for rudiment practice:

Works great!
    Attached Images Attached Images

User Info Menu

late8, I hear that pad is pretty good, waht say you?

User Info Menu

that reminds me of this old Adams pad i used to have, but gave to a student awhile back. i really liked it though
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments