Thread: Bass Drum Size

User Info Menu

Default Bass Drum Size

I play metal/metalcore/hardcore type music and I was wondering if anyone knew of a good bass drum size? Would a 22" inch be a good size? I was also looking at a 24". Would that be too big? Or is a big bass drum size better for that type of music?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Bass Drum Size

22" is pretty standard, you really can't go wrong there. Your personal style and tuning is going to contribute more to your sound than diameter of the drum. In general, I'd stick with a 22" though.

User Info Menu

With todays microphones etc... it is more of a case of what size of a drum do you want to lug around!

all the best...

User Info Menu

22 or a 24.

User Info Menu

As stated 22" is pretty standard. But Justin Foley of Killswitch Engage uses a 20" and it sounds phenomenal. I was in a metal band several years ago and actually used two rythm traveler bass drums (8x20) with danmar metal click pads...the reaction I got from people was amazing when I would do sound checks.

User Info Menu

23". Too bad nobody makes that size. I'd love like a 23x19 bass drum or something.

But yeah, you can't go wrong with 22".
    Matt

User Info Menu

dw makes 23's, but no one makes heads that size yet. well unless you count the heads that come stock on dw's. 22" cases are widely available and you can get your toms low enough to reach well when combined with the height of your cymbals
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

What about wood, depth, and thickness (plies)???

Can anybody compare a 8ply and a 10ply?

Can anyone compare a 24x18 and a 24X20?

User Info Menu

As far as plies go, more plies means slightly higher pitch, less resonance and greater projection, while less plies means lower pitch, greater resonance and less projection.

I'm not 100% on the depth thing, but I think deeper drums have a more boomy sound, lower pitched with less definition, and the shallower drums have higher pitch, more attack etc. Someone needs to confirm that though cuz I'm not sure.
    Matt

User Info Menu

You have to have a good balance maintained though.

Ex: You wouldn't want a 4 ply 22(Dia)x26(Depth) bass.
    Or would you? haha

User Info Menu

20x18 (dia x depth) Should get you a nice, deep sound but also hit hard enough that you won't ever need to trigger or use anything to get more of a "click". The 20" kicks really shine with the faster double bass stuff.
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by quikstang2 View Post
    20x18 (dia x depth) Should get you a nice, deep sound but also hit hard enough that you won't ever need to trigger or use anything to get more of a "click". The 20" kicks really shine with the faster double bass stuff.

For heavy metal/double pedal use, how many plies would you prefer?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Owens View Post
    For heavy metal/double pedal use, how many plies would you prefer?
    Plies and thickness don't matter for style of music. Personally I'd like to have no more than 3ply 4mm wood shells. I've got that on my vintage kit and it sounded great, especially compared to the newer kits that other guys were using at the gigs. My other kit is 9ply 7.2mm shells and they get the job done. I'd prefer something thinner but these are inexpensive and I'm not afraid of them getting hurt at gigs.
    Now if I could afford carbon fiber (super thin) or aluminum shells (loud and more resonant) then I'd be all over that.
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by quikstang2 View Post
    Now if I could afford carbon fiber (super thin) or aluminum shells (loud and more resonant) then I'd be all over that.

What kind of sound would you get out of those, wouldn't they be really high pitch?

User Info Menu

No. Aluminum actually has a wood-like sound and tone. Ask anyone who has played a Trick kit. You might get a slightly brighter sound from carbon fiber, but the shell being so much thinner will make up for it, especially after you go through head selection and proper tuning. There's a few custom companies that make CF shells, and they sound killer.

User Info Menu

Sounds cool, how much more $ are we talking about here, and is it worth it? I know that is personal opinion, but I'm not only talking about sound. I'm refering to its life span and how hard it is to work with (drill, bearing edge, etc.)

User Info Menu

If you're asking, you don't have enough $$$. Go to Trick's website and see what they're charging (email them if it's not listed). There were three companies that I've seen make cf shells, but Tempus is the only one that comes to mind right now. Cf is expensive in general, and it doesn't help that there's a world wide shortage of it compared to the demand for it.

User Info Menu

I played a kit with a 26x20 and It was kinda cool but too boomy (is that even a word?) I like more of the punchy sound I get from my 22x18. If you play metal I think you want more punch not boom.
    "Don't let your pride swell....you may have to swallow it one day!"- Unknown

God made Cops so Firefighters could have heroes!

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    I'm waaaay past having any major parts of my body exposed. Believe me, it wouldn't add anything to the show!
    Proud member of PHROGGE's Aquarian Army

Zildjian League

User Info Menu

actually, it really depends on how you pad it and tune it. also, what batters you use makes a difference. but on the question on the size, i'd stick with the 22", the 24" might make it sound TOO deep.
    !!!PROG-METAL!!!
    GO UTEP MINERS!!!

User Info Menu

I checked out a Tama 24x20 and it sounded like cannons going off. Big time boom. I like boom.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by topdog63 View Post
    I played a kit with a 26x20 and It was kinda cool but too boomy (is that even a word?) I like more of the punchy sound I get from my 22x18. If you play metal I think you want more punch not boom.
    So do you think a 24" would be too boomy?

User Info Menu

IMO 24" is waaaay too boomy for me. I would think you would want more punch if your playing metal, which I would think a smaller diamater bass drum would be better. A 20"? thats what I may go for if I make my own kit someday.

More plies I would assume would make the sound punchier as well, as it would take out resonance.

Try em out. Its whatever sound you want, if the 24" gets you the sound you want, go for it, if its the 22" then heck there ya go.

User Info Menu

So now that you've gotten opinions pretty much all over the map ha ha, i would go to Guitar Center or your local drum shop and try different stuff out and start taking note as to what you like and don't like. And in the end, BUY THE ONE THAT SOUNDS BEST TO YOU!
    www.fadesaway.com

Matt...
    Fades Away

Forever I am Forgiven, and Forever, I will Rejoice.