Thread: please post your practice routine (1wk/2wk)

User Info Menu

Default please post your practice routine (1wk/2wk)

what are u working on in a week or two week period?

how do u split it up between days?

please be as detailed as u like with warm up exercises, rudimentary, whatever things u do, methods, ideas, practice books...

thanks!

User Info Menu

Default Re: please post your practice routine (1wk/2wk)

Maestro,
    When i first started laying i was having lessons so i just went with what my teacher taught me, Everytime i get to my kit now i always flex my arms, do some basic beats, fills, cymbal crashes move around the kit as much as possible, then work on the songs i'm learning, or new techniques, slide etc. There's loads of people on here with light years more experience than me who should be able to help you more than i can.
    Cheers Mark
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

For the past year I have been trying to get more serious about my practice - one of the things I took to heart is the quote "Don't play while you practice and don't practice when you play". So I started doing the following:

1. Broke the practice sessions down into parts - warm ups, rudiments/strokes, "new thing", and review.

2. I started keeping a journal of my practice sessions, writing down my goals, what I did, how the session went, and what I needed to improve on.

3. Every couple of weeks or so, I pick a "new thing" to work on. Sometimes this is a new song, sometimes it is a new skill like playing clave with the foot pedal bell along with known pieces, sometimes it is working on triplet pieces, or working on 6/8 time pieces, increasing tempo, you name it...

4. Rudiments/Strokes/Sight reading - I try to set aside a portion of my practice time just to work on the basics. While I don't do the same exercies every day, I do things like singles, doubles, paradiddles mixing the Bass/open/slaps. I do things like Heel (right) Toe (right) Heel (left) Toe (left) to a metronome (i am really trying to make my heel/toes more smooth.). Lately I have been working on one handed (BBSSOOSS all on the right hand and then switching to the left hand). Other times I have some basic etudes to practice my sight reading

5. Finally, I like to end on a positive note, so I like to spend some time doing a review of songs I know. I can try to push the tempo or focus on one element (like making sure all the slaps are right on). But it is a chance to just bust loose and play

6. Group practice/class - I take a weekly intermediate class with about 6 other people and instructor. It is one thing to practice by yourself, but when you start putting it together with other people, it is something entirely different!

As far as books, I have been working with "Conga Joy" and "Drum stories" by Bill Matthews as well as pieces given to us by our drum teacher.

I guess the major points are: make goals, keep a journal, work on basics, work on something new, find someone to practice with, and have fun.

Anyways, that is what I have been trying to do, your mileage may vary
    ---- If thine enemy wrong thee, buy each of his children a drum. - chinese proverb

User Info Menu

I like the journal idea Midgard, I think I'm going to have to start keeping one from now on.

User Info Menu

This is a sample of my practice schedule:

Stone Killer (feet) - 5-7 min
    Stone Killer (hands) - 20-30 min

Stone Killer is an exercise my teacher gave me to work on my hands and feet.

Singles - 10-15 min
    Doubles - 10-15 min

Rudiments (pick 2) - 15-20 min

Various exercises: (pick 1 or 2) - 10-15 min
    stick control variations (pad)
    dynamics (pad)
    table of time (pad)
    endurance (pad)
    drum fills (kit)
    solo's (pad)
    triplet fills (pad or kit)
    drag/ruff exercises (pad or kit)
    flams exercise (pad or kit)
    roll exercises (pad)
    sight reading (4/4 & 6/8) (pad)

4 Way Coordination (pad or kit) - 20 min
    Carmine Book (pad or kit) - 20 min

I have this all on an excel spreadsheet; I mark off what I practice with the minutes spent on each.

User Info Menu

I start with one part singles
    -right hand
    -left hand
    -right foot
    -left foot

using a note chart that goes quarter notes, quarter triplets , 8th notes, triplets, 16th's, 16th triplets. I usually do variable BPM settings starting around 50 and working up as high as I can go.

after I go through those I start on two part singles
    - right hand + left hand
    - right foot + left foot
    using the same note chart from above

after that I work on rudiments
    single stroke
    double stroke
    triple stroke
    single 4
    single 7

if I'm at lessons we end like this, I'll start with a beat, whichever I choose and I'll play it for 4 measures, at which time my teach will be on his kit and he'll play some solo stuff over my beat. after 4 measures we'll switch. this helps in a few ways. first I have keep my beat going with the click while he's playing, I have to focus on what I'm doin regardless of whats going on around me. I also have to keep counting measures in order to know when to switch places. it's a lot harder than it sounds.

I practice pretty much every day but sometimes I slack and skip a few days, which sometimes helps when you get frustrated, put it down ,walk away and come back to it later and it's seems like it just clicks
    Last edited by Quadcam79; 05-27-2009 at 10:34 AM.

http://bipolarbarbierocks.com

Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post
    Quit belly aching and just do it...no other way.
    - RIP Frank

User Info Menu

My business life is detailed, scheduled and orderly. My drum room time and life is unplanned, sporadic, archaic at best. Slaps, bass, heel tip and whatever else seems to happen. No wonder I am still a rookie.
    LP Matador Quinto and Conga w/stands and matching Matador Bongos.

"Middle age is when you still believe you'll feel better in the morning."

frquent flyer Guest

I have always had my best progress when simply playing along with a favorite CD. I'm new to drumming but have found that this method works for hand drums as well. I currently play along with "CONGA JOY#2" Its a good workout.