Thread: '07 Pearl Export Custom (ECX) shell pack

User Info Menu

Default '07 Pearl Export Custom (ECX) shell pack

Shells:

6 ply 7.5 mm 100% maple shells have an laquer finish. Workmanship is top notch and beautifully stained. I've tried several different sets of heads and settled with Evans Hydraulic/G1's for the toms. These heads brought the life out of the maple shells and helped sustain a smooth warm tone with little to no unwanted overtones. I'm using moongel only on the floor tom.

Hardware:

The ECX came with the TH1000 tom mount with up and down movement only and the tom mounts with ease with a quick stop clamped at each holder.

The I.S.S. mounts clamp directly on to the hoop of the batter with two small claws.

I've read reviews that were critical to this mounting system due to the stress the mounting claws creates on the top batter hoop, which some say, may induce the tom to go out of tune.

I have to report that I repeatedly measured the tension with my Drum Dial while I tuned the toms with the I.S.S. clamped tight and found zero degree in tension change on the head surface once the I.S.S. clamps were mounted in place

Costs:

The Pearl ECX was a discontinued product line so I got a the 5 piece w/14x5.5 maple snare for $799.

I can only compare the Pearl ECX with my pre-'70's Ludwig Classic 5 piece that I used for many years which is an apples to orange comparison due to the technology of the hardware in today's manufacturing but the Ludwig shells still sound better IMHO.

The Ludwigs have more plys and and provided more of a presense in sound and volumne than the ECX shells regardless of the heads used, but the ECX does have the "best bang for the buck" and is 100% maple which at the time of purchase was too hard to pass up.

If you can find a ECX shell pack left over go for it. I'm sure you can walk away with a steal. I think I did.

late8

User Info Menu

Default Re: '07 Pearl Export Custom (ECX) shell pack

Pics?

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

As Homer would say D'OH!

Just wondering why do you mount your toms on the kicks instead of the rack?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    As Homer would say D'OH!

Just wondering why do you mount your toms on the kicks instead of the rack?
    I'm 5'8" on a good day. My reach is short and my inseam on my favorite pair of jeans is 28".

I have to have my toms as low and as close to me as possible or else I start to strain to play comfortably. I would of loved to have my toms on the rack to allow my kick to fully sustain its tones without the toms to hinder but I would of sacrificed my cymbal positions as they would be too close for my arms and to low to clear the tom sweep for round offs.

User Info Menu

splash holders
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    splash holders
    Hmmm....okay, I'll play.....inverted cymbal holder?