Thread: Left hand issue

User Info Menu

Default Left hand issue

Yet another thread, I know, sorry guys but being relatively new to drumming means I have tons of questions (and the fact that I don't take lessons).

My questions regard the left hand. Before I ask I'd like to mention a few things: I'm pretty sure I'm holding the stick correctly and I also use wrists/fingers rather than forearms. But I am open to the possibility of my stick handling being incorrect. Also I am not experiencing any pain or soreness at all in either hand. My left hand is able to keep up fine with all rudiments I'm practicing. It's not my wrist strength that's the issue; it's grip.

Anyways, the trouble I'm having is that my left hand just doesn't seem to have a tight enough grip on the stick, at least compared to my right hand (which is ironic because when I drop a stick, 90% of the time it's the right). When I try to tighten the grip, it feels a bit too tight and uncomfortable. Yet when I use my natural grip on the stick, sometimes it wobbles around just slightly while rebounding from a hit on the snare. When playing something on the toms I also feel a bit more comfort with my right hand, but the wobbling is not there as much. Usually fills are fine and don't involve this problem at all (strange, I know). Also, I find myself readjusting my hand's position on that stick quite a bit while playing. All in all, I just find my right hand more able to control the stick.

The questions: is this normal for a player of a year and half? Will it correct itself over time? Am I possibly doing something wrong (which, since I'm self-taught, I wouldn't be surprised)? And have any of you had a similar issue?

Thanks in advance for any answers. You guys never fail to answer questions thoroughly, and every time I have gotten answers I've put them to use and seen great results. I'm sure you'll keep it up!
    "I eat a lot of deserts and play Warcraft for three hours a day." - John Dolmayan on how he keeps himself from tiring out

User Info Menu

Default Re: Left hand issue

You LH is your weak hand and what you describe is fairly normal...at least with me. If you're using a Matched grip, then be sure that both hands look and act alike. If you're using Traditional grip, make sure that the thumb is pointing upwards and the palm of your hand is facing towards your chest....the hand looks like it's ready to shake someone's hand. Keep the arm set and use wrist motion only. It doesn't matter how long you've been playing...what matters is whether you've been doing it wrong. In lieu of lessons, search You Tube for drum lesson videos...bound to find something there.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

Matthew, I just had a lesson today, and my new teacher noticed a bad technique habit that I had developed in how I held the sticks. It was subtle, so I am correcting it tonight by doing double strokes. It was all about where my thumb was positioned. I had let in move slightly out of position so that I was not "pinching" the stick between my thumb and index finger at the balance point. I would agree with Frank about checking out some videos. You might want to check out the free lessons at Drum Bum through the "Drum Links" on the navigation bar at the top of the page.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

im playing for half a year only, but i had my days of 8 practice hours and i think im fairly advanced relatively. anyhow, because im so new i can tell u i remember having EXACTLY what you describe, feeling this sort of untightness on left hand grip compared to right.. i just kept practicing normally LOTS of rudiments and it pretty much went away. i still feel my left hand is terrible compared to the right but i guess its completely normal. 3 days ago i went to my very first drum lesson ever with this guy
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrlsARU9ty8"]YouTube - AVI DIAMOND - Drum solo[/ame]
    whos supposed to be one of the best drummers around, and he said im one of the first people to ever walk into his studio the first time holding the sticks correctly
    :D

User Info Menu

What you are experiencing is VERY normal. It is very common and what i have to keep reminding my students is to be patient! It will come together for you. There are some good strength excercises out there, check out drum mags web site.
    www.fadesaway.com

Matt...
    Fades Away

Forever I am Forgiven, and Forever, I will Rejoice.

User Info Menu

Very normal. Your weak hand will feel off for a long time. My instructor says his weak hand still feels like it belongs to someone else at times. Just keep working that hand doing lots of exercises focusing on making it behave itself.
    Robert

"Ok Guys This Is In Da Key Of Boom Chick Boom Boom Chick...." - SIR PHROGGE

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, write a sonnet, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, solve equations, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." Robert Heinlein

Zildjian League #1 Flunkie

User Info Menu

Phew! That's good news then. Thanks everyone for the answers. I'm just gonna continue to do rudiments and play and be patient then. However, if anyone feels they have anything else to add, please feel free to do so!
    "I eat a lot of deserts and play Warcraft for three hours a day." - John Dolmayan on how he keeps himself from tiring out

User Info Menu

Do a Google search for Moeller Technique. You will find a lot of support material and DVD's that will help you immensely. I have the one featuring Canadian drummer -
    Mike Michalkow - and it is one of the best I have seen. You can find some exceprts by Mike on You Tube.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg