Thread: Snare Tuning 101

User Info Menu

Default Snare Tuning 101

I've read every snare tuning thread I can find and got as much info as I could but I still have some relatively basic snare questions.

-Tightness of the top head? How does it change the sound depending on how tight/loose it is?

-Same question as above but for the bottom head.

-The actual snare: How is the sound affected if you tighten/loosen the snare? When ajusting, should it be done by twisting the knob on the side of the snare or with a drum key?

Thanks.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Snare Tuning 101

It really depends on the sound you are going for. If you're going for a Rise Against kind of sound, good attack, good volume, tight, not a ton of sustain or snare sound I can help.

The top head is going to set the actual note for the snare. Most people crank it down pretty tight for rock, and particularly for heavier stuff. Be careful, because cranking it literally as tight as it can go can "choke" the snare. This means that you deaden the sound.

The bottom head should be tuned pretty tight as well, although usually most people keep the bottom head slightly looser than the top head. If the bottom head is too loose the snares won't work properly. The Drum Tuning Bible online talks about leaving the resonant (bottom) head pretty loose, but I have found that doesn't work that well for rock.

As for the snare themselves, you'll also want those pretty tight to give a nice tight, articulate sound.

It kind of sounds lame that you are just tuning the thing pretty tight, but for a tight, fast, strong sound that's what you need.

Looser tunings are more for a jazz, lighter rock, etc...
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

PearlDrummer18 Guest

If it's to tight could it bust the head?

User Info Menu

If you are burying your sticks into the head, yes it's possible. If you are letting your sticks bounce, though, there shouldn't be a problem unless your head is worn out.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I disagree about the tightness thing. I was going for the Rise Against's snare sound too, especially the sound on their new album, and tuned my snare really low, and then cranked up the reso pretty tight, then I just screwed around with the snare wires till I got the sound I wanted (I don't know if they ended up tight or loose). My snare sounds pretty damn similar to his, especially considering he's got a Starclassic and I've got a PDP EZ lol. I think loose tuning is better for hard rock, while higher tuning is better for metal, as well as funk-type stuff. I'm no expert though...

EDIT: The reason I say this is because several months ago I actually decided to see what would happen if I emailed Brandon Barnes and asked how he tuned his snare. He said make the top head low and the bottom head high. So I did.
    Matt

PearlDrummer18 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    If you are burying your sticks into the head, yes it's possible. If you are letting your sticks bounce, though, there shouldn't be a problem unless your head is worn out.

Thanks!! Reason for asking is because when i tuned my kit..well...when i attempted to tune my kit, people told me not to get the head to tight because it would bust. I really don't hit very hard but i don't exactly hit light either. Good info thanks again!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by yohin View Post
    I disagree about the tightness thing. I was going for the Rise Against's snare sound too, especially the sound on their new album, and tuned my snare really low, and then cranked up the reso pretty tight, then I just screwed around with the snare wires till I got the sound I wanted (I don't know if they ended up tight or loose). My snare sounds pretty damn similar to his, especially considering he's got a Starclassic and I've got a PDP EZ lol. I think loose tuning is better for hard rock, while higher tuning is better for metal, as well as funk-type stuff. I'm no expert though...

EDIT: The reason I say this is because several months ago I actually decided to see what would happen if I emailed Brandon Barnes and asked how he tuned his snare. He said make the top head low and the bottom head high. So I did.
    I stand corrected. I haven't found enough stick response and sensitivity when I tune the top head low.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

i never understood why people tuned resos all high but the side they were actually hitting was almost a wrinkle? might as well be a pillow your playing at that point
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

So the impression I'm getting is that tightening the top head increases the attack and the sharpness and the bottom affects the length of the note..?

User Info Menu

For the basic metal snare I use I have found the top needs to be tight(not crazy tight) and the reso is tight but not as tight as top, with the snares tight as well. At least for this snare/the skins I've got. other wise the drum sound well ya know.

User Info Menu

When all is said and done about tuning drums...it all depends on what you hear.
    Take your drum key and get to work experimenting. Somewhere along the line, you will find a range of sound that you like. Notice that I said "Range of sound." Everyplace you might play will sound different. You will have to adjust the tuning accordingly within that Range. Lastly, when you do find a method of tuning that works for you, don't think that will be the end of it...becausae it won't. Heads get warped and need to be changed out. You will change sticks too. Also, you will re-evaluate your music and get in to playing different styles. All of these will impact how you will tune your drums. Oh, and one other thing...not considered by many new to drumming...tightening the heads also increases the pressure on the drum shell. A broken head is the least of your worries but a warped/cracked drum shell is another matter.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg