Thread: Tama Octobans Anyone?

User Info Menu

Default Tama Octobans Anyone?

I have played these drums a couple of times and I have seriously considered buying a set of 4 low pitch tubes, but they are so expen$ive! Anyone have any comments on these magnificent instruments?
    ~John K.~

User Info Menu

Nope

User Info Menu

i've never played them but they look like they'd sound awesome! i think mike portnoy uses something like those??

User Info Menu

OH MY FREAKING GOD ... how much are they asking for these?

I'd love to own some, but I'd seriously consider buying some large gauge plumbing pipe and making my own.

I think that they're mostly a novelty, and considering the way that they operate, making your own wouldn't be such a big ask.

Mmmmm. I've got a week off work, I might try it out.

User Info Menu

Question Tama Octobans Anyone?

Might be useful for some effects--they look like a cross between tenor drums and roto-toms...the Musician's Friend website says Portnoy plays them... Never saw them myself, but wonder how they would sound!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bongobro
    Might be useful for some effects--they look like a cross between tenor drums and roto-toms...the Musician's Friend website says Portnoy plays them... Never saw them myself, but wonder how they would sound!
    They do sound awesome ... a very woody sound - almost like reverberations through a hollow tree log (the long 'pipe' type shell gives them a very woody 'pop' type attack that carries the tone of the drum).

I'm seriously thinking about trying to make something similar out of plumbers pipes now. All I'd need to do is get 4 lugs per drum, and then try to match a small drumskin and rim with pipe (8 inches diameter would do the trick) - grind down the bearing edges to 45 degrees or so, sand them smooth, then install ... then see what happens.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jobby
    They do sound awesome ... a very woody sound - almost like reverberations through a hollow tree log (the long 'pipe' type shell gives them a very woody 'pop' type attack that carries the tone of the drum).

I'm seriously thinking about trying to make something similar out of plumbers pipes now. All I'd need to do is get 4 lugs per drum, and then try to match a small drumskin and rim with pipe (8 inches diameter would do the trick) - grind down the bearing edges to 45 degrees or so, sand them smooth, then install ... then see what happens.

I would be curious to hear how they turn out. Let me know when your done building them.

User Info Menu

Holy jump for Jesus!!! One could build a set for a fraction of the price and I would bet they would look and sound just as good.

PVC 6" pipe: $16.60 per foot

6" Hoops: $12.50 each

Lugs: $3.25 each

Tension Rods: $0.45 each

Mounting Hardware: Guessing between $40 and $50

Evans 6" Heads: $13.99

To do a 24", 26", 28", 30" setup.

PVC Pipe: $148.50
    4 6" Hoops: $50.00
    16 Lugs: $52.00
    16 Tension Rods: $7.20
    4 6" Heads: $55.96
    Mounting Hardware and Stand: $100.00

Total Cost: $413.66

Save about $300

Keith

User Info Menu

They've been around since the '70's!! There are actually 8 of them in a complete set.

Alex Van Halen, Simon Phillips, Mike Portnoy, and Stewart Copeland, are just some of the artists (off of the top of my head) that use (or have used) them. I'm sure there are more...
    Regal Tip Quantum 3000 nylon tip - my weapons of mass destruction

User Info Menu

...the Musician's Friend website says Portnoy plays them...
    haha... yeah i didn't even read that little section.

User Info Menu

Okay - I'm getting closer to building a set of these. I've checked out PVC piping, sourced all my heads, rims, lugs, tension rods, and even covering ... but can't figure out how I'd set them up once they're made.

I don't want to spend oodles of cash on an expensive mounting system. Anybody got any ideas? I've already got a spare cymbal stand or two floating around to use for parts.

User Info Menu

Bugger - I've just discovered that what I though was 6 inch PVC piping is more like 6.5 inch PVC piping. Looks like if I want to get the right sized piping, I'll have to get it custom made.

More research to do.

Though now I'm also keen to make a 10 inch popcorn snare out of PVC piping.

User Info Menu

I have a couple of ideas. How do you want them configured: straight line( 1x4 ) or square ( 2x2 )?

Keith

User Info Menu

These things had their hayday in the 80's. They remind me of a blower sticking out of the hood of a car; not necessary, but really cool looking.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kromberg
    I have a couple of ideas. How do you want them configured: straight line( 1x4 ) or square ( 2x2 )?

Keith
    I'm open to suggestions. What's your ideas?

I was thinking of making 2 first (to see how they go). But if I have to get the PVC custom made, it will be more expensive. So, to alleviate that I'll buy in bulk, and make at least 4; actually thinking of making 8 and going halvies with a mate.

The best mounting idea I've had so far is to bolt 4 together in a square with aluminium dividers and washers, and then hook it up via tom holder thusly:

I discovered this link late in the game ... surprise surprise, it mentions the difficulty of getting the right sized piping.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Roaddebris
    These things had their hayday in the 80's. They remind me of a blower sticking out of the hood of a car; not necessary, but really cool looking.
    Yep.

To tell you the truth, I'm not even that into the idea of playing them so much as I'm keen to build them.

I probably won't even take them out to many gigs. But damn they look cool - and I'd be keen to record with them (some extra percussion in an intro section, maybe overdub them onto a long tom fill or two).

User Info Menu

Cool Tama Octobans anyone?

I probably won't even take them out to many gigs. But damn they look cool - and I'd be keen to record with them (some extra percussion in an intro section, maybe overdub them onto a long tom fill or two).
    Maybe your mate can use them for special effects--you play the set and he plays the Octobans or vice versa--or experiment with them (use 'em like hand drums or strike them with mallets or brushes instead of sticks)... good on ya... that sounds cool for a Yank like me to say!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Maybe your mate can use them for special effects--you play the set and he plays the Octobans or vice versa--or experiment with them (use 'em like hand drums or strike them with mallets or brushes instead of sticks)... good on ya... that sounds cool for a Yank like me to say!
    Yeah. Actually working on something like that tonight. We've got a song that has a drum intro: tom and double bass primal stuff that builds into crescendo before the guitars and bass kick in. We're getting everyone in the band to play percussion along to the intro (bongos, djembe, some spare cymbals and other random percussion). Should be truly wonderful - thankfully everyone in the band can play passable percussion.

User Info Menu

I once saw simon phillips do a clinic and he talked about these a lot. He really knew how to play them pretty good here is a little sample

User Info Menu

Lightbulb

I was going to do that too but pvc pipe is measured from the inside so a drumhead won't fit it.

User Info Menu

Does anyone have any ideas for how to make or buy inexpensive shells of octobans?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Tama Octobans Anyone?

Hmmm

I might check at work and see if we have anything of that diameter....
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I was checking into making a 4pc set for my son last year . I was planning on using 6" acrylic for the tubes , if I remember correctly , I believe everything priced out at 275-300 bucks .

User Info Menu

I custom made some last year - they are at that Robotics site - look for the Wotto pic ( the link to my 'how I made em' page no longer exists ). I enjoyed making them, but found that I didnt play them too often and have since sold them.

And if you want to hear Octobans- I think you will hear them in the Godsmack tracks Voodoo or Serenity, you should find them at Youtube

Wotto
    ' Up the Irons '