Thread: Going to NYSSMA and I suck

User Info Menu

Default Going to NYSSMA and I suck

I'm going to NYSSMA on saturday and my solo just isn't ready. I don't what to expect has anyone ever gone to NYSSMA? (New York State School Music Association) Im not getting a grade thank god, but Im still getting comments and I know they're gonna come back bad... Any advice?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Going to NYSSMA and I suck

Fred, the first thing ya need to do bro is lose the *I suck*.Think positive about it, try ya best and be proud of yaself for have'n the nads to do it.I wouldn't take any comments that come back to heart man. Think of it as constructive criticism, which in all actuality is what it will be.What if ya get some really good comments? Maybe someone a little more advanced will see something in your playing technique that he/ she could make you aware of which in turn will make you that much better.Nothing negative ever came out of playing drums man. Lose the *I suck* get the attitude of "I'm gonna go in there and kill this solo", have fun with it....Now go hit that practice pad!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by zzzdanz View Post
    Fred, the first thing ya need to do bro is lose the *I suck*.Think positive about it, try ya best and be proud of yaself for have'n the nads to do it.I wouldn't take any comments that come back to heart man. Think of it as constructive criticism, which in all actuality is what it will be.What if ya get some really good comments? Maybe someone a little more advanced will see something in your playing technique that he/ she could make you aware of which in turn will make you that much better.Nothing negative ever came out of playing drums man. Lose the *I suck* get the attitude of "I'm gonna go in there and kill this solo", have fun with it....Now go hit that practice pad!

I'm just nervouse they're gonna be harsh, I have trouble with some parts of the solo and I know it's just gonna be one big mash by the end LOL

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fredr View Post
    I'm just nervouse they're gonna be harsh, I have trouble with some parts of the solo and I know it's just gonna be one big mash by the end LOL
    I had to play for teachers at school in Boston man.I know all about the nervousness and thinking they're gonna be harsh.If there's some parts of the solo ya playing that are messing ya up try to simplify those parts a little.It's not a grade or a competition so don't sweat it....what solo are ya playing anyways?

User Info Menu

First thing you do is stop getting your undies all bunched up .

Relax , have fun, do/play your best and if you mess up dont make faces and people wont realize it .Everyone else there is just as nervous as you .

Good luck .
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

Fred, good teachers know how to encourage along with providing constructive criticism. Let go of your fear, because you are anticipating something that might be an illusion. This could be the best thing you could go through. Relax, and have fun - no matter what.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

My girlfriend actually went to NYSSMA for singing. She went to get graded and such. Shes a worry wort and was a wreck before it. She went in and I guess everyone was very friendly. They are there to help you be better, not there to ruin your day. I read her comment sheet and it was all veeeery helpful information, they get very in depth and give you suggestions on how to improve. Go in there with your head up dude, they wont shoot you if you miss a beat or something.

Just go in there and rock out my friend! Do your thing!

User Info Menu

Hey man. I'm also going to music school (in July, hopefully, as first I need to get some special papers from the government that allows me to officially leave college (highschool to the Americans) and go to polytech). Apparently I'll have to audition, but I don't know what they're looking for in the audition, lol. Skills in drumming? General knowledge about music? How well you work with other musicians? All of those?

I've never played in a band before, so I don't know what I'll be like playing with other musos, my music theory isn't exactly the best, but apparently they teach that anyway. My skills in drumming are okay, I suppose, but soloing and fills are my weak points. My timing is okay, though.

I suppose I'm pretty nervous about going to music school, too.
    - Zack

User Info Menu

Hey weasel, good on you for choosing to follow your dreams - I was gonna make the same decision with drumtech. But, as much as I'd hate to be criticize your views on this, is dropping out the right way to go about it, especially if you're uncertain your skills aren't up to scratch? Not to criticize you as a drummer, but these places are hard work to get into. For the big degrees, you're expected to play at a Grade 8 equivalent and hold a Grade 5 at least in music theory... something I didn't possess and it put me off. I dunno about this institution though, so feel free to just ignore everything I said
    Go for it. But keep your options open!
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

NYSSMA realing isn't about the competition, it's about you performing under pressure and getting experience, and some constructive criticism. Go in and do your best, it will be a good learning experience for you.
    Gretsch Catalina Birch 6 piece fusion set (10,12,14,16in. Toms, 22 Bass). Sabian 20" HH Classic Ride, 16" Istanbul Agop Dark Crash, & Zildian K 13" Hi-hats.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ethel_The_Frog View Post
    Hey weasel, good on you for choosing to follow your dreams - I was gonna make the same decision with drumtech. But, as much as I'd hate to be criticize your views on this, is dropping out the right way to go about it, especially if you're uncertain your skills aren't up to scratch? Not to criticize you as a drummer, but these places are hard work to get into. For the big degrees, you're expected to play at a Grade 8 equivalent and hold a Grade 5 at least in music theory... something I didn't possess and it put me off. I dunno about this institution though, so feel free to just ignore everything I said
    Go for it. But keep your options open!
    Drop out - as in drop out of high school? I mean I don't go to an actual school, I'm homeschooled. But I'm 15, so I'm highschool level. And music is pretty much the only thing I'm good at, other than playing games.

I know the music school I'm going to (sort of). My older sister went there for a few years (singing), and mum currently goes there (playing bass), so I should ask mum what the auditions are like. I'll be recieving free drum lessons if I get in, too, so that's a plus!

I need to get a new cymbal bag, because you gotta bring your own cymbals. My current cymbal bag is a cheapo Zildjian one, and it doesn't have any pockets so I can hear my cymbals scraping around inside it... That sound hurts.

I'll definitely try and get in. If I don't, I'll just try again the next year.
    - Zack

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xweasel View Post
    Drop out - as in drop out of high school? I mean I don't go to an actual school, I'm homeschooled. But I'm 15, so I'm highschool level. And music is pretty much the only thing I'm good at, other than playing games.

I know the music school I'm going to (sort of). My older sister went there for a few years (singing), and mum currently goes there (playing bass), so I should ask mum what the auditions are like. I'll be recieving free drum lessons if I get in, too, so that's a plus!

I need to get a new cymbal bag, because you gotta bring your own cymbals. My current cymbal bag is a cheapo Zildjian one, and it doesn't have any pockets so I can hear my cymbals scraping around inside it... That sound hurts.

I'll definitely try and get in. If I don't, I'll just try again the next year.
    theres an easy way to solve that problem Put old tshirts between them ,or cut out pieces of cardboard to put between them. that should save some cash!
    The only way to catch a butterfly is never waiting for the wings.

User Info Menu

Fred...when I was in high school, I entered NYSSMA solo competition my last two years. I played "Heating The rudimets" one year and "Swinging The 26" the next. I earned A6 ratings each time (I was prepared and knew it). I had to demonstrate whatever rudimets the adjudicator asked for and had to sight read whatever he placed in front of me. From the comments I received, I learned that I tended to "Pop" my Flams due to poor execution on my part. I really enjoyed these situations for what they were...opportunities to learn. If you really and truly believe that you "Suck" then you probably shouldn't enter these contests. The Judges expect to hear prepared material and rate accordingly. I have never agreed with those teachers who let their students go just for the sake of going and learning what they can from it. The concept is to be prepared and then learn of any short comings and what can be done to correct them. These contests are meant to be positive and constructive but, the contestants must be prepared to perform as best they can.
    Last edited by fiacovaz; 06-01-2009 at 03:30 PM.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg