Thread: Matthew Smith Ritmo Congas

User Info Menu

Default Matthew Smith Ritmo Congas

Check this guy out on the Matthew Smith congas whooohoooo, I bet their already muled. Man..... I sure would like to get a set. If I could come up with $3000 would be great! Hmmm ......collage for the kid or congas, collage for the kid or congas, collage for the kid or congas, Man that's a tough one
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5OTN8L1mpM&feature=related"]YouTube - Congata![/ame]

User Info Menu

Default Re: Matthew Smith Ritmo Congas

[quote=luv4congas;204217]Check this guy out on the Matthew Smith congas whooohoooo, I bet their already muled. Man..... I sure would like to get a set. If I could come up with $3000 would be great! Hmmm ......collage for the kid or congas, collage for the kid or congas, collage for the kid or congas, Man that's a tough one
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5OTN8L1mpM&feature=related"]YouTube - Congata![/ame]

Not tough at all luv4congas..., "Sorry kid, I know you have been looking forward to college and an education, but I have decided that Matthew Smith congas have now become priority!" :
    LP Matador Quinto and Conga w/stands and matching Matador Bongos.

"Middle age is when you still believe you'll feel better in the morning."

User Info Menu

Yah, thats what I told my wife I'll tell ya one thing, sleeping on the sofa is not to bad! It's kinda comfortable

User Info Menu

Just remember, it is easier to get forgiveness than permission!!
    ---- If thine enemy wrong thee, buy each of his children a drum. - chinese proverb

User Info Menu

[quote=luv4congas;204217]Check this guy out on the Matthew Smith congas whooohoooo, I bet their already muled. Man..... I sure would like to get a set. If I could come up with $3000 would be great! Hmmm ......collage for the kid or congas, collage for the kid or congas, collage for the kid or congas, Man that's a tough one

The congas. If you get famous using the congas your kid wont need to go to college. simple as that
    The only way to catch a butterfly is never waiting for the wings.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by midgard View Post
    Just remember, it is easier to get forgiveness than permission!!
    LOL! I like that! thats good! and it's so true!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by luv4congas View Post
    Yah, thats what I told my wife I'll tell ya one thing, sleeping on the sofa is not to bad! It's kinda comfortable
    How about with the dog?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gretsch View Post
    The congas. If you get famous using the congas your kid wont need to go to college. simple as that
    another great suggestion.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BongoCajon View Post
    How about with the dog?
    I have been known to fight for space on the couch with my great dane, and it can be done. Not so bad in the winter - he cranks out the BTUs!

---- If thine enemy wrong thee, buy each of his children a drum. - chinese proverb

User Info Menu

He looks like a great big cute puppy!

User Info Menu

Matt is regarded as the top dog in the conga making world today, and some consider his work to be the best of all time. He makes everything by hand including hardware and uses high quality skins. For those that are interested I recently inquired with Matt about his drums. He told me his wait time at the moment is about 9 months, although most people I have heard from have waited a little longer than that. Prices are $800 per drum for domestic hardwoods (Oak, Ash, Maple) and exotic hardwoods like African Mahogany start at $975. He will build in any type of wood you want. 1/3 of the cost is paid up front and the remaining is due upon completion.

I would love to be able to afford a set of his congas, but now is certainly not the time. I may put in an order for a set of bongos though if my cuban congas on ebay right now fetch a high enough price.

User Info Menu

I have my eyes on Matthew Smith or Timbas, both have that traditional conga look, not really feeling that hardware on the skin on skins or volcanoes although I bet their all great! Boy I must be dreaming, I'm talking as if I were actually had the cash to buy a set! Sorry

User Info Menu

I have my eyes on Matthew Smith or Timbas, both have that traditional conga look, not really feeling that hardware on the skin on skins or volcanoes although I bet their all great! Boy I must be dreaming, I'm talking as if I were actually had the cash to buy a set! Sorry
    Man I feel ya L4C, I wish I had the kind of money to own a set of all of them. There are some really talented craftsmen out there keeping the tradition alive. I dig the traditional look also, I like the look of the bands and the flat steel crowns. Volcanos honestly don't do anything for me, the wood looks nice, but I don't like the shape or hardware on them, and the prices are rediculous, I would much rather go to Matthew.

User Info Menu

Matthew Smith Ritmos all the way, every time I have seen them, the skins always look like he only uses the best with no flaws!
    ........Dream, Dream, Dream

User Info Menu

I own Matthew Smith congas and they are nice congas. My conga cracked at the alma during it's first winter. I was able to fix it but my first choice remains Volcano. Matthew Smith is an artist doing fine work but he does not use Stainless Steel and he does not make any improvements to old technology. Volcano has made several improvements and continues to move forward. Matt Smith has attention to detail but is locked in the past. I would like to see things move forward.

Don't get me wrong Matt's work is exceptional and wood drums will do what wood does but Tom at Volcano does the same detailed work Matt does and so much more.

User Info Menu

Such recordings never produce a balanced sound but...The tumbas sound short note, not very resonant but thuddy. Maybe a bit to thick of jeads. Mule usualy is not very elastic & sounds best on lead conga & with the more elastic cow hides on tumba to produce more tone w/ longer sustained note. I like the shells & heads compared to any Asian woods on the market but I actualy prefer Asian tuning crowns & lug plates to Ritmos old fashioned & flawed designs that I have seen bent out of shape on the skin on skins model which his drums derive from. I would buy the shells & put other tuning system on them. This is one BIG reason I rate Volcano drums over Ritmo. MoPerc in Canada has great shells & heads but better hard wares. Truth is truth....sorry

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Bembe View Post
    I own Matthew Smith congas and they are nice congas. My conga cracked at the alma during it's first winter. I was able to fix it but my first choice remains Volcano. Matthew Smith is an artist doing fine work but he does not use Stainless Steel and he does not make any improvements to old technology. Volcano has made several improvements and continues to move forward. Matt Smith has attention to detail but is locked in the past. I would like to see things move forward.

Don't get me wrong Matt's work is exceptional and wood drums will do what wood does but Tom at Volcano does the same detailed work Matt does and so much more.
    I share your assesments & comparison re: Ritmo vs Volcano, but hope Tom will continue forward....I get the impression he is content with what he has built & thats all he wants. He is doing so much already & perhaps can not see past his heavy work load as it is !

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gretschhead View Post
    Man I feel ya L4C, I wish I had the kind of money to own a set of all of them. There are some really talented craftsmen out there keeping the tradition alive. I dig the traditional look also, I like the look of the bands and the flat steel crowns. Volcanos honestly don't do anything for me, the wood looks nice, but I don't like the shape or hardware on them, and the prices are ridiculous, I would much rather go to Matthew.
    Wood is wood & all things being equal...the hard wares of Ritmos are designed from the 50's & do not correct the parts prone to bending, popped out rivets, warped crowns & skin wires, bent tuning system lug plate receivers etc, bent alma rings etc etc. I have repaired 5 Skin on Skin drums which are the father of Ritmos & are same in design. Timba drums are up graded Gon Bops & are better made than Ritmos in hard ware design, they now use steel bands but are flush to the shell and do not snag your clothes or other drums. The lug plates have better anchoring & more clearances to allow a nylon bushing to protect the tuning hook threads & make tuning smoother. So...as far as design goes...Timbas are a generation above Ritmos & Skin on Skin. Also...skin on Skin mounts the heads so high that it is nearly flush w/ the drum edge ( hard on hands...especialy the side of your thumbs. Ritmos do not have much room to stretch down before bottoming out the head against the shell. Timba & Volcano have a better fit & are designed & built for trouble free operation compared to Ritmos. People look to much at nostalgia & not at science & engineering behind the instrument.

User Info Menu

[quote=gretsch;204373]
    Check this guy out on the Matthew Smith congas whooohoooo, I bet their already muled. Man..... I sure would like to get a set. If I could come up with $3000 would be great! Hmmm ......collage for the kid or congas, collage for the kid or congas, collage for the kid or congas, Man that's a tough one
    YouTube - Congata!

Even Famous conga players die in poverty ! ? I know few who make a living as stable & w/ the benifits pkg of a vourneyman in a professional trade. The good big paying gigs are not out there like once before ( music markets are all media & DJ venues now ). Endorsed artist dont really earn much unless they act as sales reps too for salary since sales % is not like other merchandise. Endorsed artist often bounce from one brand to another because there is not much $$$ in it unless its just helpfull to push recording sales for % of $$ and help w/ teaching gigs etc & name recognition. Why do you think all the pioneer congueros had to play & tour into old age & until death ! Meanwhile, mediocre pop musicians on gtr. make fortunes playing formula riffs. I would never recomend a youngster to do music for a life plan...only for the joy of it & as a side gig to a more dependable ocupation w/ benifits. But....pimping aint easy in this economy either ! ?