Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Help! Lost interest! Please!

User Info Menu

Exclamation Need Help! Lost interest! Please!

Before u read this, just to let you all know that I'm not very good at English...Sorry hehehe (hope u understand)

The first time I went to my drum class, it was fun but now I feel very bored Why? Maybe its bcoz of my teacher...he didn't talk much (Same as me I didn't talk too much coz I don't know what to say) & sometimes its hard to understand the way he teach me. I though I could go on with this situation stay positive but now I've realise I can't...and I wasn't that good but he expect too much from me...he teach me one beat on the first day of my class but he didn't teach me how to hold the stick (Luckily, I can play the beat) so I went and learn how to hold the stick myself . Should I switch to a new teacher or not but the good thing is I won't be seeing the teacher when I pass my grade 1 test...I'm not completely lost all my interest, I'm still interested on drumming but after my drum class I began to feel very bored...Argh! I don't Know!!!!!

so what should I do!!!!!!??????????
    Last edited by frt93; 05-31-2009 at 01:39 PM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Need Help! Lost interest! Please!

First off, if you truly enjoy drumming don't give up; even if your teacher is not teaching you in a way that will help you. I would just take a break from lessons and learn how to do what your teacher was trying to teach you on your own. Just make sure you get it right and don't develope any bad habbits. If you don't think you can do it without developing any bad habbits, either find a different teacher or stick with the one you have. Don't get another teacher if you know that you just need more practice.

Im 100% self taught. However just because some people can learn without a teacher, doesn't mean everyone can. That really just depends on the person. If you are sure you can learn by yourself, go for it.

User Info Menu

You can either get a new teacher or go it on your own. Im self taught and have had a great little career.

User Info Menu

WoW! You're amazing! Owens Thanx! For the advise! I feel very happy and motivated!
    Hehe I'll make sure I practice! and I won't give up!
    I 'll try to learn what my teacher didn't teach me, myself!

Thanx! For the advise too! Northern Redneck
    I think I should learn drum by myself more but I still need a teacher coz I need someone to point out my mistake
    Last edited by frt93; 05-31-2009 at 01:40 PM.

User Info Menu

If you think you need a teacher and you don't like your current one, then look for a new one. Simple. I do recommend a teacher though. Someone to keep you on the right track & help with your techniques and such, and to motivate you (my drum teacher plays really complex jazz solo's and things, and says "if you practice hard, you can be just like me!" lol what a show off, good teacher though).

You can learn to hold a stick properly pretty easily, lol. Holding a stick properly was the first thing my teacher taught me. My previous drum teacher (who was pretty useless, I might add) didn't teach me to hold a stick properly... lol.

And by the way, your english is better than mine... haha.
    - Zack

User Info Menu

hey i would just recommend learning the stuff on your own but still maybe continue some lessons.Im self taught and i didnt turn out so bad or talk to your drum insructor about it.
    The only way to catch a butterfly is never waiting for the wings.

User Info Menu

I would recomend finding a new teacher and tell them what you expect. The first thing I teach is grip and proper stroke. It is very hard to break bad habits later.

You can learn on your own as well, we all do but you have to have a good foundation to build on and my advise is to find a good teacher and study with them for a while.
    DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat frt93!

Don't ever let a teacher kill your desire for music! I had a teacher do that to me when I played the clarinet in 6th grade, and I didn't play music for another 30 years!

I started with a drum teacher, who did well for me, but then I realized that I needed something different that he could not provide - encouragement. I was away from lessons for a year, and I just taught myself. I know that I progress faster with a teacher, so I signed up for some lessons with a different teacher - a professional drummer who is a woman - and after one lesson I know that I found the right teacher. She evaluated my technique, and she is helping me correct something that would hold me back. She's also positive, and upbeat, so this is a much better teacher for me.

Remember, you are paying for the lessons. Get your money's worth, and get the teacher that is right for you. You can audition them as much as they can audition you, to see if you are right for each other.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

xweasel
    -> Thanx! For the advise! Hehe Your teacher is funny! I'm still working on how to hold my stick properly hehe (hope I can do it!)

gretsch
    Hmm...Talk to him? I've never thought of it (hehe) I guess I should try.
    Thanx for your advise!

rmandelbaum
    He is a good drummer but he's bad at teaching (I think). I'll think about finding a new teacher. Thanx for your advise!

pastor_bob
    You're right! I think I should find a suitable teacher.(Seriously I don't want to kill my desire for music coz music is my LIFE!!!!!) Hahaha
    Thanx! For your advise too!!!!

Thanx again guys! You guys RawkZ!

But...I'm thinking about giving him a second chance but if he's still the same, well..Bye bye! teacher! hahaha

User Info Menu

you can practice the beat your teacher gave u by simply tapping with your hands on your knees, and your feet on the ground. you dont need a drum set or sticks to get the basic coordination when you start, and its useless to practice with sticks when you know youre holding them wrong.

i learned alone for half a year, and i learned my grip from a few videos on the internet, but i especially remember this one
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfKj8FGvYAM"]YouTube - Holding The Drumsticks - Drum Lessons[/ame]
    ithink it helped me a lot when i bought my first pair of sticks.
    just recently i went to my first drum lesson and the teacher said my grip is good so just watch this video and see if it helps you
    dont stop drumming its really cool

User Info Menu

Hedon-
    This Video is very good & very helpful!!! Thanx 4 the video and your advise!
    I won't stop drumming coz I love it! (YEAH!)

User Info Menu

Definitely talk to your teacher fist and tell him what you feel you're struggling with.
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

User Info Menu

fRT93...Welcome to the forum. You say that your Teacher doesn't talk much and expects a lot of you...he taught you a beat one day but didn't teach you how to hold the stick. Not all teachers are "Talkative." There's a saying..."Talkers talk and non-talkers Do!" Since you say that he taught you a beat, that means he can teach and you can Learn. It seems to me that he expects you to have already been taught the basics such as how to hold the sticks properly and reading drum music. If you know that you are weak in these areas, you may have to have some remedial instruction to catch up to your Teacher. Playing the drums is not just knowing how to play some beats. It's knowing how to create the pattern and how to continue learning after you leave the Teacher. It's also about learning how to Teach those that come after you. Work with the Teacher you have now. Talk about your concerns with your Teacher...he will understand.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

quikstang2
    Hmm...ok, I'll try. Thanx! for your advise!

fiacovaz
    You're right not all teacher are talkative & I'm very weak at my basic (thats mean I have to practise a lot) hehe
    "Since you say that he taught you a beat, that means he can teach and you can Learn. It seems to me that he expects you to have already been taught the basics such as how to hold the sticks properly and reading drum music. If you know that you are weak in these areas, you may have to have some remedial instruction to catch up to your Teacher. Playing the drums is not just knowing how to play some beats. It's knowing how to create the pattern and how to continue learning after you leave the Teacher."
    Now I understand why he didn't taught me the basic coz he wants me to learn it myself. (I see) Thanx! for your advise!

I'll try to gather all my strength & courage to talk about my problem with my teacher!

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Need Help! Lost interest! Please!

Welcome aboard, frt93!

I'm not sure I can add more than what our brother drummers have already said, but when I began taking lessons, there were times that I got frustrated because what seemed so simple to the teacher was so complicated to me. And there was so much to learn!

I practiced, practiced, and practiced some more. I listened to the teacher's instructions and as time passed, I learned. That was some 25 years ago, and I love playing drums of all types today--and my teacher and I are very close friends today.

As Frank (fiacovaz) said, you've started drum lessons and you've already learned something. That tells me you've already gathered your strength and courage to do something you've never done before...and I can tell you are interested in drumming!

You may have heard the American expression "practice makes perfect." There are times when it may get a little boring, but practicing will help you with the way you hold your sticks, the way you read music, and everything in between.

I don't know how old you are right now, but I was 32 years old when I began studying percussion! So if I can do it, you can, too...

GO FOR IT!!! (another American expression) Keep us posted on your progress!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Do Not Give Up!!!!!!!! Stick with it !!!!!!
    A good drummer will sound good on anything(even stock drum heads). A bad drummer will sound bad on anything.

User Info Menu

Welcome to D/C frt93. I think there are a couple things you should consider in your persuit of drumming. 1. you should write down the questions you have for your teacher, he only knows what you are letting him know(he has other students at different levels and interest) about what you expect of him. and its hard to remember what you planned to say when its time, so write it down. 2. A good musician is a self taught musician with the help of a teacher, He has years of experience(usually) and will notice little things about you that you don't see. IMHO no can go wrong when it comes to a second opinion and a little educated guidence.
    Keep up the playing this is a life long quest . F/T

User Info Menu

I know how you feel frt93. I had several situations where I had to look for an another drum teacher not because we didn't get along; the guy never showed up at the music store on my day of instruction.

The video hedon posted is awesome. That's Mike Michalkow who is a fantastic drummer. I found out through his video that I have been holding my sticks wrong for nearly twenty years. Don't give up! Playing the drums well takes alot of patients. Good Luck.

User Info Menu

bongobro
    Yup! I am interested in drumming, I've been waiting for 3 years (I think) and Thanx to God! My parent finally agreed to let me play and now, I've been playing drum for 7 month already.
    I'm 16 years old this year & I'm still studying percussion
    Yeah...it's a little bit boring but I still want to be good at it! So I will practice more & more! Till I've mastered it! Haha
    "That tells me you've already gathered your strength and courage to do something you've never done before...and I can tell you are interested in drumming! "
    Thanx! hehe
    Thanx again! For your advise! OK! I'll post!

Reverend D.
    Roger that! I WILL NOT GIVE UP!!!!! YEAH!!!!!!!
    Thanx!!!!!! (^_^)v

fumbled time
    Yeah! You're right sometimes I 4got to say it. (HEHE) I guess I should write down my question.
    BTW Thanx! For ur Advise!

late8
    Thanx! For ur advise! I'll be very patient and practice a lot! Haha

User Info Menu

You show a lot of maturity at sixteen. I have an eighteen year old son and I know how they work. Asking advise and having an open mind as you do will get you places. Good luck man and stay in touch.

User Info Menu

"He has years of experience(usually) and will notice little things about you that you don't see."

Yeah... He did notice something, He said you're getting better but you have no skills. (What does that means? What is he trying to say?) I did ask but I still dun understand. hehe (To tell u the truth I'm afraid to ask him back or ask him questions sometimes. Don't tell me why coz I don't know why) Its hard to tell whether he is angry with me or not. I know I have to gain all my strength & courage to ask him but sometimes I don't know why do I feel like I don't want to ask him. (I have no skill) hmm...I think he's trying to say that I'm not good at my basics (is it?) Sometimes I keep forgetting what he said to me (seriously, next time I'll write it down)

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! For all your support and advise! I appreciate it!
    Thanx to u guys! I didn't lose all my interest and I'm practicing very hard! I'm getting better and I won't give up! Every time I feel like I'm lost or I feel tired or bored or sad or I dun know what to do, I just remember your advises & supports! (It works! I feel motivated & I feel like I want to do better than before!) Thanx guys! Love ya!!!! hehe

User Info Menu

late8
    I'm not fully matured yet but someday I will hehe Orait! I will stay in touch!

User Info Menu

Hey,
    i went through this sorta thing when i first started drumming, which wasnt too long ago (only 5 years :P).
    I kept taking lessons but divided the time i was drumming into two sections, a section for practising what i had been taught, i.e rudiments, strengthening hands.. etc etc .. After i had spent some time doing that, i put a good song on that i liked, and played along to it. Dont worry that your not drumming the exact beats you should be as it is hard to when you first start. Just relax and take some time to enjoy drumming with music that YOU like on. It worked for me and its good practise as well

DtheD
    www.youtube.com/dannyatcranny

PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    I know how you feel frt93. I had several situations where I had to look for an another drum teacher not because we didn't get along; the guy never showed up at the music store on my day of instruction.

The video hedon posted is awesome. That's Mike Michalkow who is a fantastic drummer. I found out through his video that I have been holding my sticks wrong for nearly twenty years. Don't give up! Playing the drums well takes alot of patients. Good Luck.
    You know whats funny about this video is first off mike is an outstanding drummer so I'm not taking away from him, but if you watch the JoJo Mayers Secret weapons... DVD he teaches you to have the stick pivot on your middle finger and so does Dave Weckl in his video. Anyone know the advantages to either way. Middle finger pivot vs. pointer finger pivot. Or does it just depend on if your playing German grip or french grip.
    "Don't let your pride swell....you may have to swallow it one day!"- Unknown

God made Cops so Firefighters could have heroes!

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    I'm waaaay past having any major parts of my body exposed. Believe me, it wouldn't add anything to the show!
    Proud member of PHROGGE's Aquarian Army

Zildjian League

User Info Menu

pretty sure it depends whether your playing german grip or french grip mate
    www.youtube.com/dannyatcranny

PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY