Thread: Bongo love!

User Info Menu

Default Bongo love!

So last night I was at a church "Camp Meeting", and there were several people with hand percussion instruments in the audience. This one exciting Hallelujah song was being sung with full accompaniment, and after a while I hear some bongos start behind and to the left of me.

It was GREAT! I was swiveling around in my seat a few times to try to get a look at the bongo player because I really loved what he was doing. Now I don't know much about bongo technique. Though I consider myself a percussionist, I haven't really played these or congas, sadly. But listening to the man play, I heard things that sounded like finger rolls and a true show of actual technique, vs. just slapping a rhythm like a hack.

So, my interest is now piqued. Much love and respect to my bongo playing brothers and sisters on board. Meanwhile, I've really got to research some technique. IT was just too cool to ignore.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Bongo love!

I love playing my congas, and bongos, even though I still consider myself a "hack." Hey, you've got to start somewhere!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Bongo love!

Agreed on the hack front! I go nutz! Though I truley due hope to gain technique.

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Bongo love!

Hey, Aikakone! You'd never guess what instruments I enjoy playing! (if you aren't sure, look at the av picture above...)

As far as learning the bongos and congas goes, it's not that complicated. Have you checked the "Free Drum Lessons" section at drumbum.com? That's one place to start--and if you're familiar with the rudiments, you'll find they're easily transferable from sticks to hands!

Also, if you have a buddy who slaps the skins (plays hand drums), ask him to show you some of the things he does and, if you have some spare time, "jam" along with him. Another thing I enjoy doing is jamming along with whatever is playing on the radio. Don't worry if it sounds a little "hacky" at first, because jamming is as much practicing as formal lessons...

Most of all, find yourself a pair of bongos (or a conga if you prefer) and have fun! Take a look at some of the percussion reviews here and you'll likely find something to fit your budget.

I play percussion with our church's guitar ensemble, and some of my favorite music allows me to play the bongos and congas as loud and hard as I would at a rock concert!

Mucho love and respect from one bongo lover to another!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck