Thread: Introducing....

User Info Menu

Default Introducing....

hey i'm thinking of introducing my drummer to this site but i have made comments and questions on this forum about him already....do you think i should go and delete these questions in case he finds them? but given the nature of the threads that i posted about him maybe i should let him see for himself.

embarrassing problems

threads like the one above....

User Info Menu

Just the one about him being a kleptomaniac and wearing blue socks with black pants.

User Info Menu

You might want to delete just that one.

User Info Menu

Seriously, you didn't say anything mean about him, but if he's a bit insecure he would probably get his feelings hurt. On the other hand, it might do him some good to learn how other's are struggling with his poor musicianship. Maybe I should post a thread about the sound guys at church along the same lines?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Roaddebris
    Maybe I should post a thread about the sound guys at church along the same lines?
    Dont get me started about church sound guys...lol
    Man they drive me nuts....

User Info Menu

Cool Introducing...

Hey, mcf, have you talked with him privately about some of the things you have posted?

If he has a sense of humor, he should be able to take an occasional poke without too trouble...but you might show him some of the other threads --like Corrupt-a-Wish--first to show what he can expect.

We've all taken some good-natured swipes at each other now and then, but if your drummer's a bit sensitive, he might get a bit hacked off. Of course, as one of my (non-musical) buddies reminds me, "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger."
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

YES!! thats the strange thing! i tell him and i point out the the exact things that he needs to improve on bongobro!
    i say....ok try and have this problem fixed in a month....then try have this other thing fixed by then. then learn one rudiment a week or whatever. but he always comes up short i mean like fully short, no improvements at all.

he goes through one set of sticks every 2 weeks, i tell him to hit the hi hat with the ball of the stick and NOT the shaft of the stick or else he is going to chip em like hell and end up having to buy loads more! He's been playing for 3 years. i bought my first drum set 5 years ago, i play fairly hard i have never broken a stick and i have the exact same pro-mark 5bs which i got 5 years ago. now the handles are nice and smooth and....sorry going off on a tangent there..

its like a paradox....he has spent loads of money on equipment and apparently drums is his passion but he fails to live up to what i/we need.

then again i don't want to tell him how to do everything! i want him to figure out the stuff for himself as i think to some degree teaching someone to do something artistic kills creativity. he just seems happy to sit back enjoy the ride and be a passenger. i'm sorry its a fair hard situation to explain!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bongobro

We've all taken some good-natured swipes at each other now and then...
    Hey, I thought pointing out that dress socks and shorts don't go together was totally constructive.

..."what doesn't kill you makes you stronger."
    Yeah, Nietzschie also said "God is dead".

User Info Menu

Cool Introducing...

Quote Originally Posted by Roaddebris
    Yeah, Nietzschie also said "God is dead".
    That's why he isn't a drumming buddy--he used to play keyboards...

Now off my tangent and back to mcf's dilemma. Each of us play differently--as I posted on another site, I've got a pair of sticks I've used over 20 years, but I'm not a "bash and thrash" drummer--but when you say "he fails to live up to what I/we need," are you sure you aren't trying to mold him into something he doesn't want to be? I agree that if he's casual about your suggestions and blows them off, he might be along for the ride. And, of course, some of us need a knock upside the head (not literally!) to take care of a 'tude that may be growin' somewhere.

He will take the suggestions you give him when he wants to do them...

BTW, rd, it's always WHITE socks with shorts (unless you're playin' polkas, which I have not and will not do on the congas!)
    Last edited by bongobro; 01-19-2007 at 07:52 PM.

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

User Info Menu

are you sure you aren't trying to mold him into something he doesn't want to be?
    ok that may be a bit true...i might ask him could you play that part like dom howard(muse drummer check him out) does...or could you do a fill like this or that or whatever.
    Ok i don't want to sound c-o-c-k-y or anything but i have been playing for longer than he is and i know what works in a song and i know what doesn't, especially in songs that i write myself. if i write a song i will play it along in my head for days or weeks even thinking about how it could be better ,where to simplify things ,where to complicate things etc...
    the thing is this guy has the bare minimum of musical aptitude. sometimes the bare minimum is what works but for our kind of music it just doesnt work...only sometimes. if i tell him to play a 7/8 beat he hasnt a clue what im talking about....hell he doesnt know what a 4/4 is come to think of it.
    Again i would like to point out that i don't want to tell him what to do as this would not be healthy for creativity...maybe he is just the wrong drummer for us. i have to admit that we picked the first bassist and the first drummer we say and this may have been our great mistake.

after all our gigs the drummers in the audience, no matter what style they are (we have played alongside metal bands rock bands blues bands pop bands), they drag me aside and say "ya know, i don't want to say it to your drummer but he really needs to improve and practise"

I guess its a curse being able to play all the instruments your band uses especially if you are technically better than them.you only notice whats wrong with them. maybe im the one with the problem? maybe i'm a control freak?i'll give you a link to a few songs soon...

User Info Menu

Cool Introducing...

Sounds like you're already on your way to getting the problem solved...it depends on how much you want to work with him. However, if he doesn't know the basics of drumming, and you're expecting him to do stuff you can do easily, either of two things will happen:

You're going to have to work with him to bring his skills up to yours--

or he's going to dumb down your skills to his.

It's not gonna be easy either way. If other drummers are noticing he's dragging the rest of the band down, you may have to start looking for a new drummer if you don't want to work with him.

If nothin' else, mcf, you're learning as much about relationships as you are about music.

I'd like to hear some of your work, man--if you're that talented, it's gonna be fun...

Charlie

User Info Menu

yup demo is in the pipeline....should be cool...i'll let ya know then...