Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you set up your congas?

User Info Menu

Default How do you set up your congas?

I stole this from L4Cs last post about Kona's Valje picture, he brought up an interesting question.

How do you guys set your drums up, which drum do you use as your lead? Do you play standing with stands or seated with or without low stands? These are all preferences, there is no correct or incorrect way of going about any of this.

With my current 4 conga setup I have my quinto directly in front of me, conga to my left, tumba to my right, and super tumba in the back behind the quinto in a diamond pattern.

I play seated with no stands. The smallest drum is always my lead and always directly in front of me regardless of how many drums I'm using.

User Info Menu

Default Re: How do you set up your congas?

I've always been tought that even percussion instruments should be layed out reverse the piano. Highest to the left and lows to the right. But i'm almost certain it's based off of preference, i think that that's how i was trained when i was like 11 so that's what i've always been used to. Same applies (for me) to roto toms, toms on a drum kit, etc. But very interesting question. should compare set ups with pros, maybe they have a "secret" hah a
    www.fadesaway.com

Matt...
    Fades Away

Forever I am Forgiven, and Forever, I will Rejoice.

User Info Menu

I have my Quinto and Conga on stands due to weight. I play my Quinto directly in front of me with my legs half way around and my Conga about 12-16" away at 2 0-clock or so. I am seated on a small adjustable height round seat.
    LP Matador Quinto and Conga w/stands and matching Matador Bongos.

"Middle age is when you still believe you'll feel better in the morning."

User Info Menu

I play seated with no stands. I have the conga in front of me tilted and the tumba to my right. Every once in a while I play the tumba on the left to help prepare me for when I get a quinto.

User Info Menu

Cool Re: How do you set up your congas?

I've shown the pic in several places, including the av you see above, AND in the "SHOW US YOUR BEST CONGA PICTURE" thread, but I use a flying-V formation on the congas; the conga is the point of the V, with the quinto on my left and the tumba on my left. My bongos, on stands, are between the conga and the tumba so I can switch from congas to bongos on the fly (and vice versa). And Gretschhead, if I get a requinto or supertumba, I'll try your diamond setup...make that when, man!

Like a true conguero, I play seated; the quinto and conga are on little rubber feet that lift them up about 1 1/2" (and in line with my Pancho Sanchez tumba, which I don't tilt or lift off the floor).

Works for me, bro's!
    Last edited by bongobro; 06-03-2009 at 05:37 PM. Reason: reference to other picture in conga picture thread
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bongobro View Post
    I play seated; the quinto and conga are on little rubber feet that lift them up about 1 1/2".

Works for me, bro's!
    Same here bb. The Matadors are real heavy.

User Info Menu

I play three in the traditional formation but although I'm still a little mixed up on the forth drum. There are some beats that require a second tumba or super tumba up front and some require a requinto up front. Most professional conguero I see have the second tumba or super tumba up front and the requinto off to one side.

I'll take a piece of plywood where ever I go, the plywood really helps the sound and I'll give the old quinto a lean forward.
    L4C
    Attached Images Attached Images

User Info Menu

always standing, reading right to left: tumba, quinto, conga with the bongos directly behind the quinto. I like combining the rim shots of the bongo with a heal thump on the quinto at the same time.

User Info Menu

I arrange mine with the head side up. Seriously, I only have two right now, so it is kind of a no brainer to have smaller on the left (10inch) and the larger (11 inch) on the right. I will have to experiment when I finally get to replace them with a set of three. Been keeping my eagle eye out for some decent deals!
    ---- If thine enemy wrong thee, buy each of his children a drum. - chinese proverb

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by midgard View Post
    Been keeping my eagle eye out for some decent deals!
    Me too midgard. I need a good used Matador 12 1/2" almond brown Conga with chrome finish to complete the set.

User Info Menu

I just noticed you are from Omak...I thought they didn't have electricty there on even numbered days, much less internet! Of course the last time I was there, was about 20 years ago, so maybe now it is not quite so remote Have some fond memories of cross country skiing, partying at a VERY redneck bar, and visiting the cowboy town of Winthrop.

Very pretty area

I will keep my eyes peeled for a conga matching yours !
    ---- If thine enemy wrong thee, buy each of his children a drum. - chinese proverb

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by midgard View Post
    I just noticed you are from Omak...I thought they didn't have electricty there on even numbered days, much less internet! Of course the last time I was there, was about 20 years ago, so maybe now it is not quite so remote Have some fond memories of cross country skiing, partying at a VERY redneck bar, and visiting the cowboy town of Winthrop.

Very pretty area

I will keep my eyes peeled for a conga matching yours !
    Hasn't changed. Maybe 5000 people in town now.

We have a Wal Mart and Home Depot now. I spent 10 years down in Eugene and 1 yr. living in Beaverton when I was young.

User Info Menu

I just put one drum on my knee and one drum on da floor.
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC
    RIP frank. You'll never be forgotten.
    Post by Yohin: "I never say anything good enough for anyone's sig."

User Info Menu

Sounds like minimalist congas, CB...that's what the feet do for me...although L4C's method works well, especially on carpets...

B-bill, sounds like somethin' I gotta try--hittin' the bongos and heel-thumping the conga sounds like a winner, bro'... (great taste in nicknames, too! )

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

User Info Menu

Man Luv4congas - those are nice drums! So shiny!
    I too was taught many years ago to haul some plywood around with my congas. I used the short metal stands and I had triangles of 1x1 screwed to a piece of plywood. I had a separate piece of plywood for each of my 4 drums. The metal hoop stands fit into the triangles so they didn't move around.

When I play "guaguanco" on three drums I use Quinto directly in front of me, Conga to my left (I'm right handed) and Tumba to my right. That way it will be lows on the tumba, highs on the conga and ghost notes-n-slaps on the Quinto. Low high high low, low high high low (with slaps-n-ghosts between).

But - there are lots of diffent set-ups out there. It depends on what you're playing and how comfortable you are with your technique doing all those really nice sounding rhythms..........

Aren't these drums fun to play............any drums for that matter,

Cheers,

Kona
    Gary

User Info Menu

Thanks Kona, Lately I've been zoning out on you tube watching the "quad" conga players and so I want to try my hand at four congas. I'm going to bring the pitch on my tumba on the right up a little and use another tumba up front center and tone it down or maybe I can use congas on my left and right with a tumba up front Kinda like how Madelin Espinosa's set up in this vid.
    L4C

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDjAuZJNxTk"]YouTube - Madelin Espinosa. Solo de congas, febrero 2009[/ame]

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by luv4congas View Post
    Thanks Kona, Lately I've been zoning out on you tube watching the "quad" conga players and so I want to try my hand at four congas. I'm going to bring the pitch on my tumba on the right up a little and use another tumba up front center and tone it down or maybe I can use congas on my left and right with a tumba up front Kinda like how Madelin Espinosa's set up in this vid.
    L4C

YouTube - Madelin Espinosa. Solo de congas, febrero 2009
    Ya - that's just how I have mine set up right now..........she's a pretty good player. I've been watching her on Youtube.

Four congas are fun.............7 looks fun too

Like Mr Torres here...you've probably seen this but it's worth watching a few times....

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QjGgc1UkkU&feature=PlayList&p=4B3240080EF 81CC1&index=0&playnext=1"]YouTube - Samuel Torres performs on 7 congas tuned to E minor[/ame]
    Gary

User Info Menu

When I hav at least 4 or 5, i set them up like tenor drums.
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kona View Post
    Ya - that's just how I have mine set up right now..........she's a pretty good player. I've been watching her on Youtube.

Like Mr Torres here...you've probably seen this but it's worth watching a few times....

YouTube - Samuel Torres performs on 7 congas tuned to E minor
    This Samuel Torres video will go down in history! 7 looks like fun but if I got behind 7 someone would probably call the cops on me for disturbing the peace

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by concrete Building View Post
    When I hav at least 4 or 5, i set them up like tenor drums.
    Sounds like a winner to me, CB!

Quote Originally Posted by luv4congas View Post
    This Samuel Torres video will go down in history! 7 looks like fun but if I got behind 7 someone would probably call the cops on me for disturbing the peace
    L4C, that Torres vid is one of my faves! Each one is tuned to a different note, and bro', he makes them SING! And I wouldn't mind sharin' a jail cell with you, 'cause that's what could happen to me, too!

Charlie

User Info Menu

Sounds like a winner to me, CB!

L4C, that Torres vid is one of my faves! Each one is tuned to a different note, and bro', he makes them SING! And I wouldn't mind sharin' a jail cell with you, 'cause that's what could happen to me, too!

LOL! Bongobro can you imagine how long it must take to tune all those drums to the correct pitch Sometimes you can find the right pitch then it changes when you begin to play! Then you have to fine tune.

User Info Menu

thx bongobro.... dats da way i like it, cuz ik how da sound goes.
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC

User Info Menu

Hey CB,

Do you own that many congas or are you combining yours with someone else's when you're talkin' "4 or 5"? I have five congas between the ones I have at home and at church, so conceivably I could tune all five like tenors...

Charlie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kona View Post

YouTube - Samuel Torres performs on 7 congas tuned to E minor
    Thanks for putting that video up here, I bought his album after hearing that!

User Info Menu

Hey CB,

Do you own that many congas or are you combining yours with someone else's when you're talkin' "4 or 5"? I have five congas between the ones I have at home and at church, so conceivably I could tune all five like tenors...
    I never knew you were going to ask this.

At school, we have alot of congas (please excuse my wording for "alot" i don't know how it's supposed to be.), so I like setting them up like our tenor drums because I tried out for tenors and got a big complement for trying out and giving everyone else a hard time, but never making it ()
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC