Thread: Hand Position

User Info Menu

Default Hand Position

Hi Friends,

I hear several different opinions on hand placement and playing on the congas. Some say fingers only past the rim to help prevent injury unless your doing heel-tips and others put knuckles past the rim... what is your playing style and why?
    LP Matador Quinto and Conga w/stands and matching Matador Bongos.

"Middle age is when you still believe you'll feel better in the morning."

User Info Menu

Default Re: Hand Position

For open tones I strike using the palm of my hand on the bearing edge with the fingers wrapping over the top in a cupping fashion. For slaps my entire hand is on the head with the outside of my palm clsoe to the edge. Allow the meaty part of palm to absorb the impact, not your joints. You will also get a much fuller tone than striking with just your fingers.

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Hand Position

On slaps and fast playing, I pull my fingers back quickly (as a brother conguero shared with me in another thread), like a baby waving "bye-bye"; to me, that makes the notes sound sharper and cleaner.
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

I find that my right hand slaps can most often sound as good with just the 4 fingers of my left hand pressing down just inside the rim so the left hand is ready for the next move instead of being all the way on the middle of the drum. I had a friend who play's the Djembe tell me he plays his drum, "Gentle playing with fingers in order to hear all the possible sounds and don't overpower which could injure your hands."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BongoCajon View Post
    I find that my right hand slaps can most often sound as good with just the 4 fingers of my left hand pressing down just inside the rim so the left hand is ready for the next move instead of being all the way on the middle of the drum. I had a friend who play's the Djembe tell me he plays his drum, "Gentle playing with fingers in order to hear all the possible sounds and don't overpower which could injure your hands."
    I play all open slaps, i rarely play muffled slaps unless I'm playing a very slow song, or in a tumbao where my hand is already there.

User Info Menu

I find myself doing much less heel-tip action and mostly playing just inside the rim for my slaps, opens, taps etc. The heel-tip is becoming more of a fill-in for me now.

User Info Menu

Here is how I learned it:

Open tone - Fingers together, hit it so that the outside curve of the drum is along line where my finger connect to my palm, then quickly pull away to allow the open tone to ring out.

Bass - hit the center of the drum with the palm. Again, pulling the hand away to allow the tone to ring out.

Closed Slap - Fingers together, the base of my palm comes down and contacts the outer edge of the drum (not hitting so much as being placed) while the fingers together whip down to hit the head, ending in a slightly cupped manner, griping the head. This is the most common slap I use.

Open Slap - I don't see these on the conga so much, they tend to be more of a djembe thing. But with the fingers splayed and straight, you impact the bearing edge of the head with the base of your palm. This causes your fingers to whip down, hit the head, and bounce back up.

Muted Slap - Same as the slap, but the other hand presses on the head during the slap

Drop - Like the bass, but without the pull back.

Mute - Like the Open, but without the pull back.
    Last edited by midgard; 06-15-2009 at 08:54 AM.
    ---- If thine enemy wrong thee, buy each of his children a drum. - chinese proverb

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Hand Position

Good definitions, middy!

I don't play the heel-toe with the heel and fingers...I tend to do mine "sideways," using the edge of my left hand (from the heel to the pinky) to mute the drum. This enables me to hit ghost notes with my left thumb, which to me adds a little more complexity to my playing.

Also works well with the bongos, too...
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck