Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need some advice please.

PearlDrummer18 Guest

Default I need some advice please.

So i was on Youtube and came across this video......

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBni7LY4YEw"]YouTube - Godsmack re-align drum cover[/ame]

I love the sound of those heads! He mentiond that he uses Remo Pinstripe Clear. I found some Remo Pinstripe Value Pack with Emperor X Coated Snare Head at GC.

I also came across this. Remo 5-Piece Rock ProPack.

I've never bought new drum heads so this is new to me. I thought i would post this thinking maybe someone here might recognize the sound and tell me what i need or maybe if one of the two packs i found is correct. If someone can give me some info on this i would really appreciate it alot. Thanks!!

User Info Menu

Default Re: I need some advice please.

I've used both the Remo Pinstripes and the Emp.X so maybe I can help. The Remos Pinstripes are a two ply head with a thin layer of oil in the middle. They have a very warm and subdued tone and not much resonance or ring.

The Emp. X reverse dot is on my 14x7 Yammie Custom Oak and I'm specifically using the X to cut down on unwanted ring for the snare.

IMHO- The reso head (bottom head) will determine the tone you desire. Typically the reso head is 1 ply. There needs to be enough equal air pressure to push both batter head and reso head when you strike the drum.

Unequal or uneven air displacement may generate unwanted overtones or may make the drum sound "out of tune" or out of harmonics. You may want to get heads close to the same dynamics of materials used in the manufacturing process.

I had to purchased several different types of heads both 1 ply and 2 ply, hydraulic, and suede, just to see what types of tones each material created.

This was a bit expensive but I needed to have real "life" comparisons not just sound clips off of a computer video to determine what my personal preferences were for the tone I was looking to hear.

I would shoot for the Remo Pinstripes and ambassador 1 ply clears for the reso head.

Others may chime in and give a different perspective but this is my take on the head you asked about.
    Last edited by late8; 06-05-2009 at 02:56 PM. Reason: spelling

PearlDrummer18 Guest

Good info late8! So if i bought the Remo Pinstripe Clear heads and put them on my kit with the reso heads that came with the kit the sound wouldn't be as good?

User Info Menu

There is NO OIL in Remo Pinstripes.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Wile E Coyote View Post
    Good info late8! So if i bought the Remo Pinstripe Clear heads and put them on my kit with the reso heads that came with the kit the sound wouldn't be as good?
    It would depend on the original reso heads.

What are the drums?
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

PearlDrummer18 Guest

Pearl Forum FZ725.

User Info Menu

For the sound in that video your stock resos will work fine.

PearlDrummer18 Guest

That's awsome seeing as my wife has me on a budget! lol Just one more question and i promise i'll stop. Between the two sets of heads in my first post which would sound the closest to the heads in the video? Or would either set be a win?

User Info Menu

You have a 5pc right?
    If so the first set.
    Thats a very dampened sounding kit. The sound of it isnt hard to emulate.
    To get his kick sound just put a pillow in the kick.

PearlDrummer18 Guest

Thanks N.Redneck and thanks Late8 for the awsome info!! I learn something new everytime i come here! Thanks again fella's!!

User Info Menu

Tight budget, if your looking to just dampen them for around the house. A friend of mine in the late 70's no bottom heads and he'd mike them playing out. Mike almost in the bottom of drum.

He took an old bed sheet and rip it way bigger then each drum take the head off place the sheet under it, put the head on work it and get any wrinkles out. Put the ring on finger tight the lugs. Pull the sheet tight, tighten the lugs a little and pull the sheet as tight as you can one hand on one side the other on the other side. tune it up and trim the sheet to the head ring. I done that for years in the basement on mine until I started playing out.

Just a thought for you anyway, as I don't know what goal you have in mind and the reason for it...

User Info Menu

I have Remo Pinstripes on my toms and I have not had good experiences with them. They sound very dead and plasticy. Also when I tighten the heads, it makes a weird creaking sound like an old door opening. I thought the head might be seated wrong on the drum, so I took it off and re tuned it (correctly) from scratch, and it made absolutely no difference. So I've determined the problem is either in the heads, or possibly something might be wrong with the hoops on my drums. I don't have this problem when tuning the reso heads. Only the pinstripes.

I will be getting Evans G2 next time.

And don't buy from GC they have the highest prices. Just a tip.
    Matt

User Info Menu

If you really need to know the secret (well actually its not a secret), it's all in the tuning. I got my heads (still original to the set) the exact way i want it by tuning them to the exact tone i wanted. Also, if u don't want rez, just get some thick sheets of paper and tape it on. It's not harmful to the drums cuz the paper is less durable than the heads. I also saw some sticky things that work too.
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC
    RIP frank. You'll never be forgotten.
    Post by Yohin: "I never say anything good enough for anyone's sig."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by yohin View Post
    I have Remo Pinstripes on my toms and I have not had good experiences with them. They sound very dead and plasticy. Also when I tighten the heads, it makes a weird creaking sound like an old door opening. I thought the head might be seated wrong on the drum, so I took it off and re tuned it (correctly) from scratch, and it made absolutely no difference. So I've determined the problem is either in the heads, or possibly something might be wrong with the hoops on my drums. I don't have this problem when tuning the reso heads. Only the pinstripes.

Thats just the head seating itself.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by yohin View Post

When you put the head on, before tuning did you give each tension rod a turn, them push down on the center of the head with the palms of your hands? This is to seat the head correctly and should be done when changing heads.
    Dustin Lee Burgess
    Northfleet, England
    mapex mafia & paiste posse

User Info Menu

I like what Late8 had to say about the relation of the drum heads.

However, one thing to really keep in mind. If [in the vid] he is using DW drums (I can't tell from the vid, myself) that in itself makes a big difference in the drum tone.

I don't care what anyone else tells you, DW's have a sound, a tone and a resonance like no other drum. I currently own TAMA Bubinga, Pearl Masters and DW collector series and have had PDP Platinums and CX Birch, Mapex MBirch and Saturns, ddrum Pocket Maple and SONOR Maple kits. So I'm speaking from some serious personal experience.

You can put the same heads on all the different kits and the DW's will be detectable even blindfolded. They just have a tone that's not easy to achieve by other drum makers. I'm not saying it's the only option or way to go, and some may not like the DW tone.

Your best option is to do the "hands on" experimentation mentioned by late8. Trying to emulate any other kit from a digital reproduction has so many variables to the sound you hear, there's no way you'll ever duplicate what you hear. If you do, it may not be what those drums really sounded like "WHERE" the video was made.

I believe each head selection is going to deliver its own characteristics to your particular shell and just as an example....take your kit from whereever it is now and put it into a different type of room - maybe from basement to garage or from anything inside to anything outside. You will notice huge differences in the tones and dynamics of your kit.

In that example, you haven't even changed heads or tuning and you'll find big differences in how your kit sounds. I would highly discourage trying to find someone elses tones and work with your drums to get the tones you desire. You may find a totally different head combination makes you gaga over your kit.
    Signature here

PearlDrummer18 Guest

Excellent info Bish!! That's what i love about this place i ALWAYS learn something everytime i come here! You guys are just awsome! Thanks to everyone for all the advice and info!

User Info Menu

Bish and late8 threw out all the good info I could have given.

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    I would shoot for the Remo Pinstripes and ambassador 1 ply clears for the reso head.
    I like this combo. I've recently switched to clear Emperor batters though since they're a bit more resonant, deeper/darker in tone, look cleaner and sound a little more round/full than the Pinstripes to me. I also use ebony Ambassadors instead of clear on the resonant side, mostly for looks on a black kit, but also because they have a slightly darker tone than the clear ones.
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

User Info Menu

Nevermind the DW jibberish..Gretsch USA will eat DW for a snack and pick it's teeth with the splinters (heheheeeeee)

-Les

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    I don't care what anyone else tells you, DW's have a sound, a tone and a resonance like no other drum. I currently own TAMA Bubinga, Pearl Masters and DW collector series and have had PDP Platinums and CX Birch, Mapex MBirch and Saturns, ddrum Pocket Maple and SONOR Maple kits. So I'm speaking from some serious personal experience.
    darn and I thought my drum teacher was crazy for having 2 starclassics and a gretsch usa custom. Nice collection of drums though.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lesizmor View Post
    Nevermind the DW jibberish..Gretsch USA will eat DW for a snack and pick it's teeth with the splinters (heheheeeeee)

-Les
    Personally I take strong offense to this statement. Not to the defense of DW but to making statements when there's no experience to back it up.

Les, some day when you have had spent the time and expense to actually have a solid comparison side by side, then I'd like to hear your comments.

I have no experience with Gretsch USA other than my renowns and between those two, the DW's didn't even want to snack on the Gretschs. It wasn't worth the time to chew them.

Gretsch's - Gone, DW's - safe at home.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    There is NO OIL in Remo Pinstripes.
    No, I've been using Pinstripes and they seem to have a fluid in between the plys. If it isn't oil please clarify your statements, or post a pic. Thanks.

User Info Menu

Here's the info directly from the REMO website.

They aren't giving anything away either.

The well-known Clear PinstripeŽ heads are made with two 7 mil MylarŽ plys with a measured layer of a ring reducing agent applied between them at the outer edge of their trademark stripe to dampen high frequency overtones for warmer resonance.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    No, I've been using Pinstripes and they seem to have a fluid in between the plys. If it isn't oil please clarify your statements, or post a pic. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Here's the info directly from the REMO website.

They aren't giving anything away either.

The well-known Clear PinstripeŽ heads are made with two 7 mil MylarŽ plys with a measured layer of a ring reducing agent applied between them at the outer edge of their trademark stripe to dampen high frequency overtones for warmer resonance.

Ok, so I'm using these ATM too, some of you guys will probably rememebr me going on and on about them when I got them.

Anyway, in answer to this query ther eis two things you need to consider, 1st, why do you thik there is oil in them (that's to you late8) and second the quote that Bish has posted specifically says "at the outer edge".

If you look at a pinstripe head, the most part of it looks like a normal head, then there is the thin black stripe and outside that it goes all messed up - that's the scientifically correct manufacturing term. It's this all messed up bit that the Remo website quote is referring to - makes the head look all cracked and old.

Now if you think there is oil based on that colouration that occurs where you get those little rainbow effects while tuning, you may be right late8, but Remo themselves don't state that as part of the features of the head, so we can't say for sure. It may also just be an effect of having two plies pressing together. The G2's do the same thing, but if I remember right they don't have oil in them, only the hydraulics do..

In answer tot he original post - Pinstripes are greta heads, they create a great compressed sound straight off the drum, unlike most heads whihc will require additional dampening to get the same effect. They're not that expensive as a set, and so far I LOVE mine, even with the stock reso heads that me cheap kit came with, ooooh about 8 years ago.
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

I've used the pinstripes myself and they sounded to thin/sharp for me, but my style is a big thick resonating sound.
    www.fadesaway.com

Matt...
    Fades Away

Forever I am Forgiven, and Forever, I will Rejoice.