Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6 piece drumset?

User Info Menu

Default 6 piece drumset?

hey guys i know i've only been playing the drums for 4 months but i've been practicing everyday for an average of 1-1.5 hours everyday, sometimes more sometimes less, but i've been wondering if i should sell my pulse 5 pc. drumset, for a 6 pc. (or trade it in where i got it and see if they have a 6 pc. there)? idk why i want a 6 pc. drumset so bad, but maybe it's b/c of the look or there's an extra floor tom. lol

so should i trade/sell my pulse 5 pc. for a 6 pc. drumset or keep it? what's your guys suggestions?

also, is there that big of a difference in the sound of a 14x14 floor tom vs. a standard 16x16? thanks everyone

User Info Menu

Default Re: 6 piece drumset?

Drummer118, a lot depends on your current abilities. Your ability to afford the new kit (don't push yourself to the edge buying a new kit), and your ability to play. Only you can know whether you are ready to make the move to the new kit. When you are, take your time to find out which kit sounds best to you.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

i think u should keep using your current set to improve for a while, dont be in a rush to get a new one when you're so new to drumming

User Info Menu

I'd keep it. If you want a 6th drum so bad, you can always buy an add on floor tom for way less. That's what I did, but it was a rack tom...
    -Reuben

SABIAN SQUAD
    ^^^SGD'S EVANS EMPIRE^^^
    RIP Frank "Fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

User Info Menu

Concern yourself more with study and lessons that with configurations. Having more drums isn't going to make you a better drummer.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

Well I'll play the devils advocate I like a 6 pc best or 7 . I really like 3 up 1 down best...
    Last edited by 2slow; 06-08-2009 at 04:20 PM.

User Info Menu

Downsize to a 4 piece.

User Info Menu

I'm with Frank, just keep working at learning.

If anything, put away a little money a month towards getting a new kit in say a year. Then, if you are still into drumming, the money is there for a nice new kit.

If not, you've saved some money anyway, no loss.

In terms of kit size, not sure 6 piece is so amazing. I know a lot of amazing drummers use big kits, but Keys is right, many use a 4 piece too. I've almost always played my kit as a 5 piece (even though it's a 6) and that's 23 years of ownership. I tried the 6 but for the stuff we play it was unnecessary.

It really is a personal preference. People who play prog rock, jazz, and metal seem to like bigger kits because of all the different things to hit (no insult intended), and that includes a lot of cymbals. I go with simple.

I can say that I think you'll almost learn better on a 4 piece. Forces you to be more creative because you can't just do runs down the toms. And transitioning to more drums is easier than transitioning to less. Just my two cents.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

I am yet to see the benefit in having more than 3 toms... seriously.

User Info Menu

I'm more comfortable behind a 6 piece kit. When I'm more comfortable, I play better. A five piece has always felt awkward to me, especially with a 12/13 tom combination. Having four toms (2 up, 2 down) fits the way I move my arms and the way I play tom fills more naturally.

If you think you'd feel more comfortable behind a 6-piece, I say go for it. It doesn't matter what other people prefer or think about your configuration. What you think is the only thing that matters. Keep in mind you're not going to get much for the kit you currently have, even though you just bought it.

It's all about your personal preference. If there was a "correct" set-up, then that would be the only set-up that the manufacturers would sell. So to answer your question, yes you should buy a 6-piece if you think that YOU will be more comfortable with it. If not, don't.

Quote Originally Posted by holycow77 View Post
    I am yet to see the benefit in having more than 3 toms... seriously.
    Because you personally don't need more to fit your style and approach to drumming. Having more doesn't benefit you, but it may benefit others.
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

User Info Menu

I agree with what quikstang said. I like 6-piece drum sets the best, and I'll be getting a 6-piece when I upgrade my kit (well, 7-piece if you include the side snare that I want )
    Matt

User Info Menu

Yes the 14x14 will sound different than the 16x16. and as far as the kit goes I for one am a tom nut and that was holding back my ability so I put away all my toms and now use my snare,bass, hats, ride and a few misc. cymbals. learn control, timing, and speed and after that you will have no problem with what ever kit you sit down at. and also be confident in what ever kit you choose, we can only give our opinion on your path. all the best. F/T

User Info Menu

If you get a 6 piece definitely take a look at the 2 up, 2 down that stang mentioned. Mine was 3 up, 1 down and it's not as versatile to me.

I don't think anyone was implying there's a right set to get, etc... Just pointing out that getting a 6 piece won't make you a better drummer, and since you just started a new higher level kit can be a big $ investment.

If you are into it, go for it. That are some good mid-range kits out there you can look at. Mapex Birch or Maple Meridian (or M and Pro M), Tama Superstar, Gretsch Catalina Maple. I know many of these kits come with 6 pc configurations. There's also the new Tama Starworks, all birch, but no 6 pc I think.

Another issue, your Pulse isn't worth much to sell. Personally I wouldn't bother getting a 6 pc Pulse over your 5 pc. Maybe try to find a tom online or something. Otherwise I would go for a new kit.

But just my 2 cents.
    Jesse

2016 Roland TD-25K

User Info Menu

thanks guys, i'm still on the fence about whether to get a 6 pc. or not but i guess ill wait a couple of months or a year and go from there once again thanks everyone

User Info Menu

I agree with those who advise learning your craft for a while before changing kits.
    Dustin Lee Burgess
    Northfleet, England
    mapex mafia & paiste posse

User Info Menu

Drummer118, just don't ever stop dreaming about the future. It will nuture your desire, and keep fueling your desire to practice.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer118 View Post
    thanks guys, i'm still on the fence about whether to get a 6 pc. or not but i guess ill wait a couple of months or a year and go from there once again thanks everyone
    I think that is a great idea, It gives you time to look around and even save a little for what you want. Impulse buying for me is usually a setback. And some places have a good lay away plan, A guy in town here has a half down and the rest when you can get it new and used kits. I am looking at an 8 pc. pdp he has for 2K, nice lookin kit.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer118 View Post
    I think that's a good choice. By then, you'll have a better sense of who you are as a drummer which will help you decide on what you want!
    Jesse

2016 Roland TD-25K

User Info Menu

I play on a 5-piece, but I'm about to add another rack tom and floor tom. The way I play, I am more comfortable having three-up two-down. But that would be overkill if I didn't have that metal style going. If your type of music calls for long fills or a wide range of sounds then I would say get another tom or two. But remember it's all about preference.

If you have a pulse, you might want to keep it a while since you wont be able to sell it for a whole lot. If I was in your position I would get the cymbals I want and hold off on buying any more drums untill you can upgrade to at least a Pearl Forum or a Vision (kind of wish I would have paid a little more and got that one).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by quikstang2 View Post
    Because you personally don't need more to fit your style and approach to drumming. Having more doesn't benefit you, but it may benefit others.
    I mean that more from the perspective of a listener than a drummer - I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with having heaps of toms, but I've never listened to a CD or a band where the drummer's behind a 4 piece and thought "man, this music would be so much better if he added a tom to his kit."

User Info Menu

This whole thing about becoming better before you add another drum.... it's a valid point but at the same time I feel that I was held back by not being comfortable and having a kit where I could more easily express myself and what I wanted to do on the drums. I could have used a more comfortable set much sooner... but I also picked up beats and coordination almost instantaneously so I got through the initial learning stuff quicker than some people might (not that I was great by any means). You'll have to judge for yourself where you think you are and what good it would do you.

I mean that more from the perspective of a listener than a drummer - I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with having heaps of toms, but I've never listened to a CD or a band where the drummer's behind a 4 piece and thought "man, this music would be so much better if he added a tom to his kit."
    Fair enough, but again that's your taste. Personally, almost every song I listen to could use more toms.
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by quikstang2 View Post
    Fair enough, but again that's your taste. Personally, almost every song I listen to could use more toms.
    ...except Disturbed songs. They've got lots of toms
    Matt

User Info Menu

give it time, play a little longer' save money and get that kit you want!
    The only way to catch a butterfly is never waiting for the wings.

User Info Menu

I've never listened to a CD or a band where the drummer's behind a 4 piece and thought "man, this music would be so much better if he added a tom to his kit."
    I find myself thinking the same thing all the time.

drummer118,
    If you are comfortable with more toms, you have the money, and you have the space I’d say go for it. I would recommend getting or making a sturdy rack because you will be able to mount them comfortably. You will also be able to spread your cymbals out more and you wouldn’t need to buy more stands when you get more cymbals.

If I were you, I wouldn’t add any drums to that pulse kit, because you will probably want to upgrade. It would be fine if you just need one more tom, but don’t make a monster pulse kit with four rack toms and three floor toms because you will probably regret spending so much money on starter kit. I don’t mean this in a negative way, but IMO a pulse kit is a great starting kit; but it is something you are definitely going replace with a better kit later. I would save my money for a better kit or get some more cymbals. You can’t go wrong with more cymbals (especially crashes), because you can diversify your sound even more with a wide range of cymbals.

User Info Menu

Drummer118, I just read what others have posted and the great part about being in the DC community is the wide range of advice and opinions which are all positive and constructive, so I'll add my 2 cents if you don't mind.

I could not afford a new kit when I started so I bought a used 5 piece. Good thing too because during the next 10 years of owning this kit, I was really "hot" and "cold" about my commitment to playing the drums. Weekend jobs, school, friends, and my money situation all played a role in the development of my craft.

It wasn't until last year, I was still on the fence about adding to my kit or buying a completely different one (20+ years later). The decision was hard. The money could of gone in so many different directions but I reached deep into my heart and found the commitment I needed to make my decision to by a new kit.

I'm glad I did. I feel more comfortable about my kit. My self esteem has jumped up by two fold and I'm having more fun in my life than I ever did.

If you can afford to add the next drum, by all means do so. If you feel like waiting, there's no harm in that too. I waited a long time before I was ready.
    Last edited by late8; 06-09-2009 at 05:11 PM. Reason: spelling