Thread: --punk Fills--

User Info Menu

Default --punk Fills--

hey there, iv been playing drums for only just over a year now, (mostly played on my knees until i got a drum set last summer), but i am puzzled about something. when ever i play a punk beat it goes good and then... BAM the fast fill comes up, and i go oh crap, because your arm gets so tried, do those drummers use the wrists or the arms? iv been wondering that for awhile now. If they do use there wrists do you have any advice on how i would practice this without it being physically impossible, thanks.

User Info Menu

you just gotta suck it up and deal with it, its a mixture of fast arms and wrists, when your hitting your hi hat or ride its usualy a wrist motion, when your rolling around and filling its usually your arm, just make sure you stretch as much as possible, and make it easy on yourself, sit up, breath easy, and just stick through the pain

User Info Menu

I guess i just dont have enough pratice in yet, i think im rushing it lol. well to tell you the truth when you get those days when you just have a sweet time drumming its nice to go fast and drum till you drop, its a great rush. but anways, thats for the arm stretching thing, i was wondering about that too.

User Info Menu

i got another question about 1/1 timing, at least i think its 1/1 timing i think its like this

H X X X
    S o o
    B x x x

I know there are two ways of doing this beat one way is
    A) hi that + bass and then snare OR
    B) Hi hat +snare and then bass pedal

this is the best way i can explain it, do drummers use both these methods?

User Info Menu

the drum tab got screw up.. heres a better example
    C |X---------------|----------------|----------------|----------------|
    H |--X-X-X-X-X-X-X-|X-X-X-X-X-X-X-X-|X-X-X-X-X-X-X-X-|X-X-X-X-X-X-X-X-|
    S |--o---o---o---o-|--o---o---o---o-|--o---o---o---o-|--o---o---o---o-|
    B |o----o--o----o--|o----o--o----o--|o----o--o----o--|o----o--o----o--|

User Info Menu

That would be 2/4 timing and is pretty much the core of punk bands like MXPX, The Atiris, NoFX etc...

Playing 8ths on the Hi-Hat with the snare and kick alternating like every beat. When you play it slow it sounds like crap, but fast, like in say, Snuff's version of "I Will Sruvive" it is 100% punk, which I am gathering from this post among others is your preferred style of music? Anyway the same beat is also called a "Polka" beat and is also used on country music sometimes. I think specifically the punk version is to play 16ths on the hi-hat, but sometimes this is way to fast to be possible.

As for your question specifically about which way drummers play it, i'm pretty sure it is always the way you've shown above, starting on the bass + hi-hat, then snare, then bass yaddah, yaddah, yaddah. Starting on the snare seems slightly off timed, and it may just sound that way sometimes because of the speed of the song, but I am still pretty sure they always start with the bass drum.
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

Yea, about the arms question. For one a goal when playing is so everything comes without strain and is easy to play. You never want to strain or tense up even when playing fast. Doing that you can get you hurt and your not going to go as fast as if you stay loose. Second drumming comes mostly from you fingers and some wrist. Pretty much the only time you should really need to be moving around your arms is to get to another drum, and these motion should be pretty small if your kit is set up right. Anyways playing mainly with your fingers like you should provides a lot of advantages over nailing the drums just with your wrist or arms. For one there smaller muscles and can move faster so in time you can play faster using your fingers than your arms or just your wrist. Also being smaller muscle your not going to tire near as fast playing with good technique such as that.
    Last edited by Eons; 05-09-2007 at 10:08 PM.

User Info Menu

Wow I thought this thread was long gone , about 2/4 timing the blast beat and the arm question. Those were my first questions when I first joined this chat, haha, Iv'e had lessons and learned ALOT from this chat since then, but thanks for fillin me in on a few things i didn't know!