Thread: Tuning Down Your Drums?

User Info Menu

Default Tuning Down Your Drums?

I get tired of tuning down my drums and having to find that magic sounding spot the next day every day. How important is it to tune down the congas? Does the skin really last a lot longer or just a little? Is the time tuning them up and down every day really worth it in the long run or does it just make the skin lasts a little longer?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    LP Matador Quinto and Conga w/stands and matching Matador Bongos.

"Middle age is when you still believe you'll feel better in the morning."

User Info Menu

Default Re: Tuning Down Your Drums?

BC, it not only prolongs the life of the head, but it also takes the stress off of the hardware and sideplates. All that stress on the sideplates can cause cracks around the mounting holes. In an ideal world, you want to de-tune everytime you aren't playing, but I'm like you, I get tired of the routine of tuning up and down everytime I want to play. I personally don't do it that often out of sheer laziness, though I should.

User Info Menu

Hey BC, don't stress it. I didn't detune my Valje's for over 33 years ( how many conga players out there with 30+ year drums); no cracks, no hardware stress and the skins just kept getting better and better. Well made drums with good hardware and quality skins. Better to spend you time playing and making music. When it's time to re-skin it is no big deal. Enjoy
    Bill

User Info Menu

Gretschhead,

Maybe I will de-tune every other time.

That way I can be semi-lazy too and benefit a little at the same time.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bongobill View Post
    Hey BC, don't stress it. I didn't detune my Valje's for over 33 years ( how many conga players out there with 30+ year drums); no cracks, no hardware stress and the skins just kept getting better and better. Well made drums with good hardware and quality skins. Better to spend you time playing and making music. When it's time to re-skin it is no big deal. Enjoy
    Bill
    So basically chill-out? Thanks bb I will meet you half way.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bongobill View Post
    Bill
    YES ! I totally agree - I did not ever de-tune my Valjes (1977-2007 when I eventually re-tucked the heads). I found no cracks near lug mounts - only a few hair-line cracks and one crack I found on the inside of the supertumba just before I recently refinished all the drums. The crack on the inside was because of extreme temperatures I'm thinking (too close to the wood stove last winter?). The hairline cracks were from being knocked around over the years (by mistake of course). Otherwise - these drums are built like a Tank as they say.

I might add......if the drums are built a little on the fragile side it may be worth detuning once in a while.....I'm no expert, but it just seems a practical thing to do.
    Gary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kona View Post
    YES ! I totally agree - I did not ever de-tune my Valjes (1977-2007 when I eventually re-tucked the heads). I found no cracks near lug mounts - only a few hair-line cracks and one crack I found on the inside of the supertumba just before I recently refinished all the drums. The crack on the inside was because of extreme temperatures I'm thinking (too close to the wood stove last winter?). The hairline cracks were from being knocked around over the years (by mistake of course). Otherwise - these drums are built like a Tank as they say.

I might add......if the drums are built a little on the fragile side it may be worth detuning once in a while.....I'm no expert, but it just seems a practical thing to do.
    It seems that the only time I hear cracking sounds is when I am tuning them up or down?

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Tuning Down Your Drums?

BC, in my experience, my congas and bongos detune themselves due to humidity (or lack of same). Like kona, I seldom if ever detune my wooden CPs; the fiberglass CPs detune themselves automatically , and the Remo has a Fiberskyn head that could care less what I do to it. I usually tune or de-tune them just enough to get the sound I prefer, and that's it!

In theory, detuning the heads reduces the stress on the heads and the bearing edges of the congas or bongos. I had only one pair of bongos that ever cracked on the bearing edges (a cheap pair of Japanese bongos that I OVERtightened without realizing it didn't have any reinforcements).

The fiberglass CPs are now approaching 22 years of age; the wood CPs are about nine years old; the Remo is about five years old. My LP bongos are about 20 years old, and I guesstimate my Meinl bongos are about the same age...I've only had to replace one head in all this time (remember the thread on that one?)!

If you're hearing creaking when you're tightening or loosening your skins, better check the lugs and keep them lubed...I stripped a thread on one of the fiberglass CPs because I didn't keep 'em lubed properly (yeah, had to learn the hard way!)...

...but as the other bb says, "chill!"
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

I agree with Kona: If the drums are built a little on the fragile side then yah. Congas that you should dentune! Old mahogany Gon bops! Theres alot of "egg" shaped heads on old Gon Bops that is directly caused by not de-tuning. Lp Aspire and Lp Performers Series! The thin skin on these's drums will stretch so fast that you'll be out of threads in no time and you can possibly bend the rims! I don't think you can hurt a good set of quality congas with cow or mule and it would be neat to have a set of new Classics or somthing with a set of Skyndeep heads tuned up alway so you can walk up to them anytime and just start jammin rain or shine!
    Good Thread BongoCajon
    L4C
    Last edited by luv4congas; 06-11-2009 at 07:06 PM. Reason: ?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bongobro View Post

If you're hearing creaking when you're tightening or loosening your skins, better check the lugs and keep them lubed...

...but as the other bb says, "chill!"
    Excellent advice bb!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by luv4congas View Post
    I agree with Kona: If the drums are built a little on the fragile side then yah. Congas that you should dentune! Old mahogany Gon bops! Theres alot of "egg" shaped heads on old Gon Bops that is directly caused by not de-tuning. Lp Aspire and Lp Performers Series! The thin skin on these's drums will stretch so fast that you'll be out of threads in no time and you can possibly bend the rims! I don't think you can hurt a good set of quality congas with cow or mule and it would be neat to have a set of new Classics or somthing with a set of Skyndeep heads tuned up alway so you can walk up to them anytime and just start jammin rain or shine!
    Good Thread BongoCajon
    L4C
    thanks luv4congas,

I appreciate everyone's input! Of course most the manufactures seem to recommend de-tuning but the majority here including myself seems not to get too pumped up about it.
    I also appreciate those who consistently de-tune
    their drums
    . This shows in my opinion someone who really takes care of equipment and is following standard procedure.

User Info Menu

hmmm.... soundz like another MANUFACTURIN ERROR!!
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC
    RIP frank. You'll never be forgotten.
    Post by Yohin: "I never say anything good enough for anyone's sig."

User Info Menu

Definitely the right thing to do is to de-tune and keep the threads lubed. If you live in an area that’s cool or damp you may have your drums tightened all the way up, then if an unusual hot day comes along some damage may occur. I have seen Lp Hand Pick rip.
    My first set I detuned religiously but not as much anymore and with testimonies from Kona and Bongobro who both have had there drums much longer than me I tend to believe it’s the manufactures making drums with the quality not up to par as yesterdays congas so they have to recommend you de-tune.

User Info Menu

ima just curious i might get some too... how much are da congaz?
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by concrete Building View Post
    That depends concrete. If you want a good used pair of drums. I mean a quality conga 2 pc set maybe $200+- per drum on craigslist.

User Info Menu

ah.. gotsha.
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by concrete Building View Post
    I'll see ya my Valjes for $150, but that's cash ya know.
    Gary