Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JCR Bongos

User Info Menu

Default JCR Bongos

I made a post on congaplace last week that I was looking to trade my oak Gon Bops quinto for a mahogany one, so I could have 2 sets, 1 in oak and 1 in mahogany. Well, I didn't find anyone with a mahogany drum, but I got a nice offer for a set of JCR bongos. I havn't owned any bongos in about 3 or 4 years, and I've been in the market for a top end set for a while now, but they rarely come up on ebay, just mass produced stuff and crappy mexican made sets. So, though I will miss the quinto, I think I have a better chance of finding a mahogany one popping up on ebay than I do a set of JCR bongos, so I decided to take the trade.

I'm very excited to get the set, the shells are Maple, which is very intriguing to me as it is not typically a wood you find being used for congas/bongos. Cali makes some of the best hardware ever and they have new JCR mule skins on them.

The guy I am trading with is one of the nicest, professional persons I have dealt with. He is throwing in a nice case and a JCR cowbell as well. He is even letting me test drive the bongos before I ship him the quinto.

User Info Menu

Cool Re: JCR Bongos

They look great, man...I'm sure you'll keep us posted on how they sound, especially with those new mule skins!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Default Re: JCR Bongos

Gretschhead,
    Nice bongos "Bro" no pun intended Bongobro JCR's are some sweet bongos! They look like they have been well kept! Nice trade
    L4C

User Info Menu

Great looking bongos Gretschhead! I confess that I had not heard of JCR before. Please tell me anything more that you know about them.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I don't know much about bongos to compare. They look good. I like the way you present your instruments!
    LP Matador Quinto and Conga w/stands and matching Matador Bongos.

"Middle age is when you still believe you'll feel better in the morning."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Great looking bongos Gretschhead! I confess that I had not heard of JCR before. Please tell me anything more that you know about them.
    PB, JCR is a company out of bronx, ny run by maestro Cali Rivera. All of his instruments are handmade and extremely top notch quality. Cali is one of the best metal workers in the game. His cowbells are all hand hammered and are all one of a kind. I own 2 of his cowbells and they are absolutely the best I've ever used.

He also makes timbales, which are regarded as some of the best. He makes congas and bongos as well, though he doesn't always make the shells from what I've heard. He uses local artisans or imports the shells from the carribean and makes the hardware by hand. I think I heard that his rep Issac is now turning the shells out of single pieces of wood. His hardware is extremly nice. He is also one of the best sources around for mule skin.

User Info Menu

Thanks for passing along that info Gretschhead. I appreciate it.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Man I just got these bongos in the mail, and they are absolutely stunning! The maple shells have a beautiful grain and honey blonde color. The shells were hand made by Juan R. Figuero, and the hardware was made and assembled by JCR. The craftsmanship is top notch in both the shells and the hardware. They have JCR mule skins as well.

The sound is sweet, nice bright tones with some great attack! The guy included a really sweet vintage leather case that just blew my mind. When he told me he was sending a case too, I expected a cloth lp bag with a zipper. This thing is like a piece of luggage with a lock and everything. He also threw in a sweet JCR bongo bell and beater.

Sad to see my quinto go so quickly after I got it, but the bongos were a nice trade. Unfortunately I haven't owned a set of bongos in years, so I'm very rusty, but having fun playing them none the less.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gretschhead View Post
    They have JCR mule skins as well.

The sound is sweet, nice bright tones with some great attack!
    I thought those looked like mules from the side profile! Sweet Gretschhead...I bet they sound so bright.
    LP Matador Quinto and Conga w/stands and matching Matador Bongos.

"Middle age is when you still believe you'll feel better in the morning."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by luv4congas View Post
    Gretschhead,
    Nice bongos "Bro" no pun intended Bongobro JCR's are some sweet bongos! They look like they have been well kept! Nice trade
    L4C
    Now you know why I refer to myself as b-bro or 'bro, and to my drummin' brothers as bro'! No matter, man, they are nice bongos!

Quote Originally Posted by Gretschhead View Post
    Man I just got these bongos in the mail, and they are absolutely stunning! The maple shells have a beautiful grain and honey blonde color. The shells were hand made by Juan R. Figuero, and the hardware was made and assembled by JCR. The craftsmanship is top notch in both the shells and the hardware. They have JCR mule skins as well.

The sound is sweet, nice bright tones with some great attack! The guy included a really sweet vintage leather case that just blew my mind. When he told me he was sending a case too, I expected a cloth lp bag with a zipper. This thing is like a piece of luggage with a lock and everything. He also threw in a sweet JCR bongo bell and beater.

Sad to see my quinto go so quickly after I got it, but the bongos were a nice trade. Unfortunately I haven't owned a set of bongos in years, so I'm very rusty, but having fun playing them none the less.
    Don't worry, gretschhead, you'll knock the rust off in no time...and we may have everyone lookin' for JCRs now! Bet they're not inexpensive...

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bongobro View Post
    Don't worry, gretschhead, you'll knock the rust off in no time...and we may have everyone lookin' for JCRs now! Bet they're not inexpensive...
    I've always heard amazing things about JCR, but up until now his bells were the only thing I've played. I see why everyone on congaplace raves about his work, it is top notch for sure. As far as price BB, you are right, not at all inexpensive. I think a new set ordered from Cali would probably run you $450-$500. You could find a used set, though they don't come around too often, for around $350. There's a set on ebay right now, the guy said his reserve is set at $350, and I also saw a set on CL this week ( LA I think), he had it priced at $275, which is probably an excellent price. I would snatch them both up if I had the money, there is such a huge variety of different shells he uses, each set is pretty unique.

User Info Menu

A little JCR eye candy, you can see how different each set is...

Cali Rivera working on his bongos...

This is the set that was forsale on CL

A set I found on google images
    Last edited by Gretschhead; 06-17-2009 at 11:22 AM.

User Info Menu

Hey, gretschhead...

gonna have to save a few more pennies for those JCRs...they are so sweet-lookin'!

Those JCRS on the Google image look like the block separating the macho and the hembra got broken somewhere along the way...uh oh...

Charlie

User Info Menu

Those JCR are off the shelve !! Here are my 2 JCR, solid mahogany with mules on machos and 9" hembra on the bottom set. Heard a lot of more good bongos but am sticking with my these two guns.
    Attached Images Attached Images

User Info Menu

Beautiful sets giadan! Welcome to the board.

User Info Menu

Thanks for having me aboard.

User Info Menu

Cuco, I also questioned this before.

User Info Menu

Cuco......yeah it's me and I did not buy those you asked me on pm. I still got my Caribbean rhythms besides that they did not look like the real thing.
    hablamos y congela con take it easy.

User Info Menu

Cuco,
    What about Colombian Percussion on your bongo list? How do they stack up on the list? There is a set on Ebay.

User Info Menu

How would you compare them to the ones I have?

User Info Menu

Cuquito,
    congradulations on selling the JCR and congradulations on whoever bought them. Excellent set.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoballo View Post
    Saludos everbody , I have a Colombian hand made Bongó for sale, it is of solid wood no staves,measures are 7.25" & 8.5". If anybody is interested just contact me at 787-550-3932 / caballoballo@gimail.af.mil.
    No selling on this site man

User Info Menu

Sorry about that, my bad

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoballo View Post
    Sorry about that, my bad
    Arre,
    however we will be happy to have you on board for your thoughts and opinions on this site specially from a very good percussionist and from the Islan Del Encanto.

User Info Menu

Cuquito, I contacted yesterday a guy named Jose Miguel Diaz which is on your list . He is an artisan from Arroyo P.R. He made staves Bongos out of oak. Have you seen or play his Bongos ? I may drop by his place on next weekend and may buy a set. I spoke to him yesterday and he said he can built one for me with my specs.