Thread: Ok this is weird.

PearlDrummer18 Guest

Default Ok this is weird.

I got my new Remo Pinstripes yesturday. I tuned the toms right up and they sound great..WOW what a difference! The snare was a whole different ballgame. I had alot of trouble trying to tune it and to be honest it's still out of tune some. But here is the weird part....when i got my set up back together when i hit my 12" Tom i could hear my snares viberateing. What's up with that? So i tried tuneing the snare again and it was still the same. How is that happening?

I'm not very good at tuneing drums in fact i'm still learning. To me tuneing the bass and tom drums are pretty easy but tuneing a snare has always give me fits. What's the deal with this? Is it my tuneing, do i need new snares? Can someone please help me fix this?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Ok this is weird.

Yes that does happen from time to time. That's because the vibrations from your tom are synced up with the snare head. I little bit of foled kleenex place right under the edge of the snares with be the easiest fix. If you want to get technical, you can research pitches and frequencies and find out what frequency/pitch your tom is at and adjust your snare head. But i would just use a bit of kleenex.
    www.fadesaway.com

Matt...
    Fades Away

Forever I am Forgiven, and Forever, I will Rejoice.

User Info Menu

Not that weird
    It will generally happen unless you take special care to prevent it.
    zerOrings are bad people.

User Info Menu

Like FA mentioned ,its just vibration and not anything youre doing wrong .

It just takes time to get it fine tuned . Have some patience and you will succeed .
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

PearlDrummer18 Guest

Whew! I thought it was something more major than that. I got one of those Evans drum key with the Torque knob to help with my tuneing. I don't know if anyone here uses one but in my personal opinion those things are garbage, don't waste your money on one. Today i orderd a DrumDial Drum Tuner from GC. I've heard alot of people say good things about those so i thought i would try it out and maybe it will help with my tuneing.

Thanks for the tip Matt! I'll give the Kleenex trick a go and see what happens! Thanks a bunch for all your help fellas!!

User Info Menu

Ha, ask cycle dude about the drum dial. He's a huge fan. *Sarcasm*
    www.fadesaway.com

Matt...
    Fades Away

Forever I am Forgiven, and Forever, I will Rejoice.

PearlDrummer18 Guest

Ha Ha I take it he didn't like it very much?

User Info Menu

Some of us do, as long as it is used to get in the "ballpark". The fine tuning is still done by your ear. Some folks thinks that it is a waste of money to get in the ballpark, others of us, not so much. I like mine, and the bonus is, once you get it where you like it, check it with the dial, and write down the numbers. When you go to replace that head, it's just a matter of dialing in those numbers again! Now if you switch to a new kind or brand of head, you need to ballpark, fine tune, and record those numbers. I have heard some just write the number on the head for ease of finding when needed.

It is a tool, not a magic wand, nor a waste of money.
    Yamaha DTXtreme III FrankenXpress w/ various pads and cymbals
    Pearl Eliminator w/Vater Bomber
    Roc-N-Soc Motion
    Vater 7A Sugar Maple
    Simmons DA-200S
    Sony MDR-7506
    MacBookPro Core2 Duo 2.33,4gb,500gb w/SD2, Reason 4, and LE9

http://s591.photobucket.com/albums/ss358/Charlygo/

User Info Menu

So, the Pinstripes, a double ply head, now attribute to the snare vibration. What kind of batter head were you using that you didn't notice the vibration? The Drum Dial is not going to be as much help as may think. What you will wind up doing is tweaking the snare head or snare tension to minimize the vibration. The Pinstripe is meant for heavy playing and, if you haven't changed the snare head to a similar thickness, you will have the vibration to contend with. A coated Emperor or Emperor X batter with a Remo "Hazy" reso head may do more to solve the problem.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

I have a 10, 12 , 14 and 16 inch toms and go through this everytime I tune cause I naturally want to tune my snare lower and ends up being the same pich as my 10 so everytime I hit the tom I get sympathetic vibrations and the only way to stop this "the right way" is to tune the snare up higher than the offending tom or lower. Proper tuning does help, but usually not enough. And thats why the drum dial advises you to tune the snare higher. I mean the reso head and batter. With the batter slightly higher. Although I have the Drum Dial and the Torque key and use Torque on my toms, DD on my snare and a combo of both on my kick, it's still only to get in the ballpark and then tune by ear.

PearlDrummer18 Guest

UPDATE: Well i don't know what i did different but i FINALLY got my snare sounding good. I hadn't played in a couple of days simply because everytime i hit the snare it sounded like....well i had better not say it but you get my point. I was determind i wasn't going to let it whip me so when i got off work i went home and tried again. It took me almost 3hrs but i finally got a great sound comeing out of it and what's even better is there is minimal(spelling?) overtone and absolutely no buzzing! YESSSSSS!!! Could it get better than that? Yes it can....i did it all totaly by ear with no torque keys, drum dials or anything!

Now this doesn't make an expert tuner by no means but i feel like i've accomplished something and it feels good to know that I DID IT not some torque key or drum dial. In case you can't tell i'm very happy about this! Now if you will excuse me i'm retireing to my drum kit, gonna throw some Iron Maiden in the stereo and annoy the neighbors for a while! Thanks for all your help and info you guys are the best!!

User Info Menu

Yea man. Up the Irons!
    Robert

"Ok Guys This Is In Da Key Of Boom Chick Boom Boom Chick...." - SIR PHROGGE

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, write a sonnet, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, solve equations, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." Robert Heinlein

Zildjian League #1 Flunkie

User Info Menu

yeah man, that used to happen to me too. it might depend on the way your tuning it, both toms and snare, but it could be other things. make sure that the snare is not touching the tom. also, mess around with the snare strainer, it might be too loose.
    !!!PROG-METAL!!!
    GO UTEP MINERS!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PearlDrummer18 View Post
    UPDATE: Well i don't know what i did different but i FINALLY got my snare sounding good. I hadn't played in a couple of days simply because everytime i hit the snare it sounded like....well i had better not say it but you get my point. I was determind i wasn't going to let it whip me so when i got off work i went home and tried again. It took me almost 3hrs but i finally got a great sound comeing out of it and what's even better is there is minimal(spelling?) overtone and absolutely no buzzing! YESSSSSS!!! Could it get better than that? Yes it can....i did it all totaly by ear with no torque keys, drum dials or anything!

Now this doesn't make an expert tuner by no means but i feel like i've accomplished something and it feels good to know that I DID IT not some torque key or drum dial. In case you can't tell i'm very happy about this! Now if you will excuse me i'm retireing to my drum kit, gonna throw some Iron Maiden in the stereo and annoy the neighbors for a while! Thanks for all your help and info you guys are the best!!
    Congrats on finding the solution PearlDrummer!!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PearlDrummer18 View Post
    To me tuneing the bass and tom drums are pretty easy but tuneing a snare has always give me fits.
    For me the snare and bass is easy, but the toms give me fits.
    - Zack

User Info Menu

This is completely normal. If you do, however, manage to fix the problem, then you're on top
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC
    RIP frank. You'll never be forgotten.
    Post by Yohin: "I never say anything good enough for anyone's sig."