Thread: Base Mallett

User Info Menu

Default Base Mallett

I noticed today while practicing that my base mallett seems to be doing a second beat without my action.
    When I step on the pedal my mallet hits the head and then looks and sounds as if there may be a slight second hit in there,

is this an adjustment needed in my pedal or the base head maybe to loose,,

Im stumped here

User Info Menu

Default Re: Base Mallett

Its not your bass drum head. Theres a good shot its your pedal, in which case a minor adjustment may be made. Or, you could be doing something such as the heel-toe method without realizing it, which is giving that second "hit" on the bass drum, even though you do not want it.
    Gretsch - Tama - Pearl - Sabian - Zildjian - Stagg - Evans - Vater - Gibraltar

User Info Menu

Try messing with the spring tension on your pedal a little bit, i know a guy who does that on purpose and he has his pedal spring really really loose so it doesn't stop the pedal from just swinging back and forth.
    "You have to love music more then food. More than air. More than yourself."-The Wizard (August Rush)

I think I can realistically say that I will never be too old to laugh at a fart. Ever. -dave0549jv

If we give up, we will never know what we might have been. - Pastor Bob

DC Record for most users online at once! Be there or be square! http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html
    RIP Frank

User Info Menu

doing that now..so you say keep it tight to prevent bounce back?

User Info Menu

hmm... mine kinda does dat... i never knew dat was a tension case.... wow............dats real interesting..... I LIKE MY TAMA PEDAL DA WAY IT IZ!
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC
    RIP frank. You'll never be forgotten.
    Post by Yohin: "I never say anything good enough for anyone's sig."

User Info Menu

yeah, tighten up the spring a little and see if that helps, of course it will play differently as far as how much pressure you need to put on your foot but i think that is probably what your problemn is. Tighten up the tension and let us know if that works for you.
    "You have to love music more then food. More than air. More than yourself."-The Wizard (August Rush)

I think I can realistically say that I will never be too old to laugh at a fart. Ever. -dave0549jv

If we give up, we will never know what we might have been. - Pastor Bob

DC Record for most users online at once! Be there or be square! http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html
    RIP Frank

User Info Menu

mallet working great now ,however since i put on new base heads,i am getting vibration to my snare..is this normal?

if not whats the solution.

User Info Menu

Yup. It's just the snare doing its job. The snares vibrate alot, but you really shouldn't mind that. If you really need to, fool with the snares themselves.
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC

User Info Menu

my old base heads must have been horrible..i really never noticed it untill i put the new ones on..lol

User Info Menu

Well, if it doesn't feel right or sound right, it's a bad head. If it's good, you've found your happy place
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC