Thread: It's all about the kids.....

User Info Menu

Default It's all about the kids.....

For those who have been so supportive of the charity shows we do, I thought I'd throw up this video of the last practice before the show on May 29th.

The sound is rough, but you get the idea. Keep in mind the girl is in 7th grade, and apparently this is the first time she's really sang in public! Now you know why we have so much fun doing this.

When I get video of the show, I'll throw some online.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5TCgYLX8h0"]YouTube - Heartbreaker at Practice[/ame]

Jesse
    Last edited by kaosotis; 06-11-2009 at 09:13 PM.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

Default Re: It's all about the kids.....

Great stuff Jesse! I saw a piece on a music teacher here in Tennessee that was doing contemporary music with his students and encouraging them to solo in the songs. The TV piece was promoting the need for music programs in our schools, because some painfully shy kids have come out their shells and have really blossomed through his program.

It got me wondering if you have let the media know what you're going with your kids?
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

That was pretty darn good.
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

That was great!!!

Thanks, Jesse.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Thanks for all the positive feedback. PB, school is almost over, but I probably should send something into the local papers.

Hopefully the actual show footage will be even better. They are going to put it on the local public access cable channel.

We're playing some charity stuff in the late summer/fall and will probably have some of the better girls sing with us and play piano! Going to video that as well, and lo and behold we might be playing out again! A miracle.
    Jesse

2016 Roland TD-25K

User Info Menu

Very cool K! Love the vid and it looks like too much fun!!
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!

User Info Menu

Could you tell me alittle more about this program you do?
    Last edited by Fredr; 06-20-2009 at 10:39 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fredr View Post
    Could tell me alittle more about this program you do?
    Are you Yoda?

Click for Gear Pics!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by redheaddrummer03 View Post
    Are you Yoda?
    haha! Wow, I need to re-read what I type

User Info Menu

Lol!!

Click for Gear Pics!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fredr View Post
    Could you tell me alittle more about this program you do?
    fred,

Program might be a bit more than it is. The bassist and I teach in the same district, he's 5th grade I'm 6th. So each year for the last 4 years we played a charity concert at school.

First year was just us playing. Not that successful, played in the cafeteria, etc...

In the 2nd year we invited kids to perform with us (including my son then in 6th grade). We had maybe 4-5 kids play an instrument and some backup singers. Had the show in out schools theater (which is really nice). Went over much better and raised like $1800 for Make A Wish.

Last year we decided to ramp up the student involvement, and we put up flyers to invite kids. We played about 25 songs, but had kids (mostly from the school musical which my friend directs) sing about 8 of those, plus had some backup singers, and about 8+ kids play instruments, including horns on some songs. We practiced a lot on our own and maybe 4 times with the kids. I think we had 15 kids total, about 175 people attend. Still in theater, the older videos of us in that theater like Walkin on Sunshine or Should I Stay or Go, and we raised about $2800 for a local wolf conservation center.

So of course this year we ramped it up even more. Played about 2 hours (31 songs), had about 23 kids in total of which 15 sang lead or backup. Had many new students, particularly singers, and I even let another student besides my son play my drums! Yikes! This time we practiced 8+ times, once a week, with the kids so it was a big endeavor for us. Fortunately we practiced at school on stage. We had over 200 people, raise about $3000 for a local Spec. Education School. This year was amazing and we are really looking forward to making it even better.

It's unbelievably rewarding for us an the kids (6th-8th graders), especially those that aren't in the musical. We only had 1 kid who starred in the musical and a few that had smaller roles. The girl in the practice video didn't think she could sing well enough to try out! She was quite a nice surprise for us.

It's probably harder to do at your age, since we're seasoned vets and two of us teach in the district.

Bet you're thinking you shouldn't have asked LOL.

Jesse
    Jesse

2016 Roland TD-25K

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kaosotis View Post
    fred,

Program might be a bit more than it is. The bassist and I teach in the same district, he's 5th grade I'm 6th. So each year for the last 4 years we played a charity concert at school.

First year was just us playing. Not that successful, played in the cafeteria, etc...

In the 2nd year we invited kids to perform with us (including my son then in 6th grade). We had maybe 4-5 kids play an instrument and some backup singers. Had the show in out schools theater (which is really nice). Went over much better and raised like $1800 for Make A Wish.

Last year we decided to ramp up the student involvement, and we put up flyers to invite kids. We played about 25 songs, but had kids (mostly from the school musical which my friend directs) sing about 8 of those, plus had some backup singers, and about 8+ kids play instruments, including horns on some songs. We practiced a lot on our own and maybe 4 times with the kids. I think we had 15 kids total, about 175 people attend. Still in theater, the older videos of us in that theater like Walkin on Sunshine or Should I Stay or Go, and we raised about $2800 for a local wolf conservation center.

So of course this year we ramped it up even more. Played about 2 hours (31 songs), had about 23 kids in total of which 15 sang lead or backup. Had many new students, particularly singers, and I even let another student besides my son play my drums! Yikes! This time we practiced 8+ times, once a week, with the kids so it was a big endeavor for us. Fortunately we practiced at school on stage. We had over 200 people, raise about $3000 for a local Spec. Education School. This year was amazing and we are really looking forward to making it even better.

It's unbelievably rewarding for us an the kids (6th-8th graders), especially those that aren't in the musical. We only had 1 kid who starred in the musical and a few that had smaller roles. The girl in the practice video didn't think she could sing well enough to try out! She was quite a nice surprise for us.

It's probably harder to do at your age, since we're seasoned vets and two of us teach in the district.

Bet you're thinking you shouldn't have asked LOL.

Jesse

Wow man! That's really cool, I'd love to do that!

User Info Menu

Fred, where in NY are you? I could ask the guys if you could sit in on drums next year if you want.
    Jesse

2016 Roland TD-25K

User Info Menu

Default Audio from Soundboard

Jesse,

Thanks for sharing this! Would you (or someone from the band) be recording a video with the audio from the mixer too (hopefully the drums are mic-ed in too!)?

- Leigh

P.S. even just the audio would be great!

For those who have been so supportive of the charity shows we do, I thought I'd throw up this video of the last practice before the show on May 29th.

The sound is rough, but you get the idea. Keep in mind the girl is in 7th grade, and apparently this is the first time she's really sang in public! Now you know why we have so much fun doing this.

When I get video of the show, I'll throw some online.

YouTube - Heartbreaker at Practice

Jesse
    Last edited by l_e_i_g_h; 07-11-2009 at 02:26 AM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Audio from Soundboard

Quote Originally Posted by l_e_i_g_h View Post
    Jesse,

Thanks for sharing this! Would you (or someone from the band) be recording a video with the audio from the mixer too (hopefully the drums are mic-ed in too!)?

- Leigh

P.S. even just the audio would be great!
    Unfortunately some of the PA stuff we rented didn't work so we couldn't record that way. Going to make sure we can next year.

Got video of the show, but unfortunately a kid recorded it and it came out pretty lousy.
    Jesse

2016 Roland TD-25K

User Info Menu

Bummer

looking forward to next year's one.

Unfortunately some of the PA stuff we rented didn't work so we couldn't record that way. Going to make sure we can next year.

Got video of the show, but unfortunately a kid recorded it and it came out pretty lousy.

User Info Menu

cool stuff. keep up the good work!!
    DW, Zildjian, Vic Firth, Remo
    http://www.reverbnation.com/jonpnorris

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by l_e_i_g_h View Post
    Bummer

looking forward to next year's one.
    Me too! The bassist and I are going to take the day off and just set up all day. Going to make the sound kicks butt, going to get video rocking, and going to try to record the audio live through the mixer.

So hopefully I'll have some awesome stuff to give to the kids afterwards.

We're having some of them sing with us at a few town things in the fall as well.
    Jesse

2016 Roland TD-25K

User Info Menu

Thumbs up The Next time

Yipee! Can't Wait!

Me too! The bassist and I are going to take the day off and just set up all day. Going to make the sound kicks butt, going to get video rocking, and going to try to record the audio live through the mixer.

So hopefully I'll have some awesome stuff to give to the kids afterwards.

We're having some of them sing with us at a few town things in the fall as well.

User Info Menu

Sounds like you're doing a great thing. It also looks really fun!