Thread: Anyone use thier Bass guitar to tune? (If you have one)

test4echo Guest

Default Anyone use thier Bass guitar to tune? (If you have one)

If so, What notes and what pitch do you use to for your Toms?

I want to use My Geddy Lee Jazz to tune My toms but i'm unsure of what notes and what Pitch to use for the Toms.

Anyone have any tips or good techniques using a bass to tune with?

Thanks!

test4echo Guest

Default Re: Anyone use thier Bass guitar to tune? (If you have one)

really????
    No one here has ever tuned their Toms to a Bass guitar?

User Info Menu

I could see how someone would. I actually like to use a test signal from my protools recording software. I am lucky my DW kit has the fundamental tone/ note stamped in each shell from the factory.

User Info Menu

I've always had my toms tuned the way I like them to be tuned. So I've never needed them tuned other than the way I have them.
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC
    RIP frank. You'll never be forgotten.
    Post by Yohin: "I never say anything good enough for anyone's sig."

User Info Menu

Well, I tune them using a test pitch from my recording equipment. i am lucky as my kit has the fundamental tones stamped from the factory in the shells.

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat Test4echo!

I have to admit that you got me on the use of a bass to tune toms. I've not heard of that one before, but if you know the fundamental note that you're after, why not? If you don't know the fundamental note of your toms, though, I would suggest tuning up the batter head until your tom comes alive and then you can try to duplicate the note on your bass, which will give you an approximation to the fundamental note (actually finding a shell's fundamental note requires taking the heads and hardware off and tapping the shell to hear it's resonance frequency). Repeat it with each tom, writing down each tom's fundamental note, then you can use your bass as a reference note for making sure your toms are in tune.

Of course, this does not take into account that different genres of music can require different tunings, so tuning to the bass once you know the basic fundamental will only allow you a small tuning range. I would suggest that you explore tuning more by ear, so that you can grow in your tuning abilities. Just like when you know that a string on the bass is out of tune, just by listening, you'll find that you can hear it in your drums too.

I hope that is helpful to you, and please know that it is just my humble opinion. Others may certainly feel differently than I do.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Wise words pastor bob. That is a great Way to explore the tonal range of a Tom.

User Info Menu

Neat idea It had never even crossed my mind, Welcome to the forum

User Info Menu

This could actually be good advice for alot of us!!
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC

test4echo Guest

When I played Bass, I had a certain style when performing Bass Runs and licks.
    I noticed my drummer, while in tune, never seemed to quite "click" when doing a Fill alongside my Bass Runs. It seemed awkward in a way, sonically.

So, I sat down with him and showed him how I do quite a few of my runs.
    I jump very quickly from low octive notes to very high notes.
    So he tuned his toms accordingly.
    It ended up sounding sonically 10x better when we worked out fills and runs together after that.

Now that i'm back to playing drums after (15 years) I just forget how we did it...lol...I forgot about the blisters too...:-(

Hence why I was asking here...lol

Thanks Everyone!

User Info Menu

Test, your explanation underscores the tight relationship between the drummer and the bass player. Kudos that you guys worked together to find a sweet sound. I hope it comes back to you.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I remember trying it when I was 16, that was .... way to many years ago. Tuning is subjective. learn how drums work and find what your ear like. But by all means try it, I would ask your bass player what note they suggest and start with your lowest tom, and then work up on 3rds from there.

You may like it you may not but either way you will learn something.
    DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by test4echo View Post
    I noticed my drummer, while in tune, never seemed to quite "click" when doing a Fill alongside my Bass Runs. It seemed awkward in a way, sonically.

It ended up sounding sonically 10x better when we worked out fills and runs together after that.

Now that i'm back to playing drums after (15 years) I just forget how we did it...lol...I forgot about the blisters too...:-(

Hence why I was asking here...lol

Thanks Everyone!

Wow... Now I know we REALLY need a bass player
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by test4echo View Post

Sounds good in theory but is not used by professionals because you'd have to be playing same types of bass runs and he'd be having to play the same types of fills all the time for this to work. I do agree however that there are optimum tonal variances for drum tuning but it's not necessary to use a bass for guidance. Many pros agree on 3rds but it's also relative to the size of your toms and how many of them there are.

User Info Menu

hmmm... What if the bass is out of tune
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC