Thread: Buying New Cymbals Soon: Advice Needed

User Info Menu

Default Buying New Cymbals Soon: Advice Needed

Ok, so I'm looking at replacing my cymbals in the near future. To the value of around $1500 (Australian Dollars).

Basically I want one of everything:
    1 x Crash
    1 x Set of Hi-Hats
    1 x Ride
    1 x Splash
    1 x China

My previous set has been a set of Zildjian Planet Z Series, very basic but have done the job. Now I'm looking at either ZXT's or Z Customs. I play mainly hard rock/metal, so I need a sound to suit.

I was wondering how much these sets would cost, and whether I should go for the ZXT's or Z Customs or something different.

Help would be much appreciated,
    HB58
    My Kit: Pearl Session Custom 7 Piece w/ Zildjian Cymbals
    My Band: Lead Redemption
    Current Favourite Band: Necrophagist
    Current Favourite Song: To Rid The Disease - Opeth
    Next purchase: Pearl 18"x16" Floor Tom, Zildjian A Custom Crash

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

Well HB, the ZXTs are an entry-level cymbal, and kinda cheap, to be honest....you would be much better off with the Z Customs, they are specifically designed for heavier music, and they are just plain HEAVY!! Depending on how heavy a hitter you are, you may also want to check out the A Customs, they are sweet sounding, very bright. But if you like to pound, I would go with the Z Customs.
    Word to the wise : don't mess with the drummer.

User Info Menu

The Z Customs have gone down hill in quality the last couple of years. I am breaking them much quicker than I was 10 years ago. I can currently looking into Sabians to find a series that is about the same as the Z Customs to give a try.

Keith

User Info Menu

I'm a fairly hard hitter, I went through 2 crashes last year. I do like the bright, brilliant sounds of cymbals though. I think it gives the music I play a bit more melodic and crisp sound rather than just sounding trashy.

Another question, do the A Customs or Z Customs come in box sets, or do you have to buy each cymbal seperately?

HB58
    My Kit: Pearl Session Custom 7 Piece w/ Zildjian Cymbals
    My Band: Lead Redemption
    Current Favourite Band: Necrophagist
    Current Favourite Song: To Rid The Disease - Opeth
    Next purchase: Pearl 18"x16" Floor Tom, Zildjian A Custom Crash

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

No boxed sets for the A Customs or Z Customs, as far as I know....usually only the cheap, entry-level cymbals come in sets....I have A Customs myself, and a 20" Z Custom china, but I have broken a 17" A Custom crash (as well as 2 16" A series crashes).....a lot of it matters on how you strike the cymbal as much as how hard you hit it....I have 16" and 18" A Custom crashes that I bought at the same time as the 17" (about 12 years ago or so), and they are fine still, and I'm a huge guy (6'8", 290 pounds), so if I WANT to break a cymbal, I sure as hell CAN, lol....but I have been hearing a LOT of good things about the Sabian Paragons, I think I may check them out myself. Good Luck, bro!
    Word to the wise : don't mess with the drummer.

User Info Menu

May I suggest either Sabian HHX or Sabian Pro B8?
    I AM SABIAN MAN!

Next Drum Purchase: Piccolo Snare
    Next Cymbal purchase: Splash cymbal and splash claw.

User Info Menu

Let me just tell you from personnel experience the Z customs ROCK, if you play hard rock or metal or a lot of live shows, the Z customs are by far your best option, I have three and I love them, I am not sure why everyone is breaking theres, but I have not had any problems, they might have a technique problem, anyway I love them, I beat the crap out of them and they are still just about a good as the day I bought them over two years ago, there is my 2 cents.

User Info Menu

Z Customs do also come in a set, you will just have to look for them, I am sure guitar center will have them or can order them.