Thread: I know I've asked this before.

User Info Menu

Default I know I've asked this before.

How much should I expect to pay for used congas?
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC
    RIP frank. You'll never be forgotten.
    Post by Yohin: "I never say anything good enough for anyone's sig."

User Info Menu

Default Re: I know I've asked this before.

Quote Originally Posted by concrete Building View Post
    How much should I expect to pay for used congas?
    A pair (Quinto & Conga)...decent ones about $400 +.
    LP Matador Quinto and Conga w/stands and matching Matador Bongos.

"Middle age is when you still believe you'll feel better in the morning."

User Info Menu

Default Re: I know I've asked this before.

Your question is far too general. Anywhere from $25 to $800+ per drum. Let us know what you're looking for as in beginner, intermediate, pro quality. Are they to be used for gigging, for recording, or just for banging around on at home?

User Info Menu

Cool Re: I know I've asked this before.

Good call, Gretschhead...

Conga prices are all over the map because there are different levels in quality. It's sorta like asking "how much will a good car cost me?" Some drivers don't mind ownin' an AMC Pacer; others want a classic Mustang, a new Malibu or (if they can afford it) a Corvette ZR-1...

You may be perfectly happy with a set of LP Aspires (and I know a few brother bongo-bangers who are) if you're buyin' them to jam with your band buddies around the house. Other congueros would give their eye teeth for a complete set of Giovannis. Still others want vintage Gon Bops because of that old-school look and sound.

Think a bit about what you want your congas to do. If you're gigging with them, you'll want a set that'll kick on stage while being tough enough to stand constant use. Some people prefer wood shells for their tonal warmth; fiberglass has the edge in light weight. And as you've already seen elsewhere, cowhide has its fans, mule skins have their rabid supporters (they're crazy about them, not literally foaming at the mouth!)...

And most of all, make sure they are affordable. You can always trade up to a better set down the road. If you haven't, man, start comparing not only the brochures and websites, but also play a few of them if you're near a drum shop or if you have a buddy with a set of congas...and don't be afraid to ask them about what they like and don't like about their set.

Your final choice may not be what I'd buy, but the more you learn about what's out there and compare it with what you want, the better off you'll be in your conga search!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck