Thread: Simmons SD9K

User Info Menu

Default Simmons SD9K

I bought this kit over the weekend. I'm giving my other set to my nephew. Does the cord to hook it up to the computer come with the set (they had to order mine because they didn't have any in stock)? I saw on some videos people wrapping the bass drum in a towel. Why?
    Last edited by fishstix; 06-15-2009 at 09:33 PM. Reason: thought of something else

PearlDrummer18 Guest

Default Re: Simmons SD9K

That's a nice set. The Guitar Center in Birmingham has one of those on display that you can play on and i jam on that thing everytime i go in there. lol It should come with the cord but if it doesn't check with GC or where ever you do your buisness and i'm shure they can get ya one. Most people wrap a towel around the bass pad to muffel the sound. When your playing it, even if you use a felt beater which i reccomend, it makes a thud kinda sound. If you use a rubber beater it will make a pop sound. Some people don't like that so they wrap a towel or a sheet around the bass pad to dampen it some. It doesn't effect the sensitiveity of the pad and it's perfectly ok if you choose to do that with your pad.

The kick pad that comes with the kit is a nice pad but i've always a Roland KD-8 pad and those are very nice sturdy pads. I've been useing mine for about a year and it never misses a note or double hits. Just thought i would throw that out there for future reference. lol Hope this helps and i hope you enjoy your new kit!

User Info Menu

They use a towel to deaden the noise, it's a fairly loud pad unfortunately
    www.fadesaway.com

Matt...
    Fades Away

Forever I am Forgiven, and Forever, I will Rejoice.

User Info Menu

I'm excited about the purchase. I wish I could be playing it now.

Is there anything I should know about playing this kit compared to my acoustic set?

PearlDrummer18 Guest

Everybody is different but the first thing you will notice is the rebound you get from those pads is no where close to a drum head. With that being said though the pads do have nice rebound. You can get mesh pads for those that have alot better rebound but be careful about what you buy some are better than others. I highly recommend Roland pads of you ever decide to replace the ones that come with your kit. Don't over tighten the clamps because they strip out pretty easy...or at least they have with me. The last thing and to me the best thing about haveing an E-Drum kit is that you don't have to worry about tuneing the kit just plug and play! I hope you enjoy your kit and i expect to see some pics when ya get it set up! Later!!

User Info Menu

Does anyone know where or how to load samples and stuff on to an sd9k?
    www.fadesaway.com

Matt...
    Fades Away

User Info Menu

The kit is in!! I'm going to pick it up tomorrow!! I will take pics when I get it set up.

Fades Away, I will ask your question while I'm at the store.

What program does anyone use for recording or mixing with e-kits?

Lets talk about drum monitor. I was thinking about the Simmons DA50. I just want something to hear when I'm jamming with my brother(he plays guitar). Any thoughts?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fishstix View Post
    The kit is in!! I'm going to pick it up tomorrow!! I will take pics when I get it set up.

Fades Away, I will ask your question while I'm at the store.

What program does anyone use for recording or mixing with e-kits?

Lets talk about drum monitor. I was thinking about the Simmons DA50. I just want something to hear when I'm jamming with my brother(he plays guitar). Any thoughts?
    Oooo, i don't know man, i'm new to the E Kit scene, and i only have for practice so i just use my head phones. Otherwise i use 3 of the triggers for my live set up but that goes into a DI and i get it in my monitor mix. I would suggest getting an amp made for E Kit's though because a regular guitar amp isn't the same. I know that from personal experience ha ha! Keep me posted on how to load samples onto the SD9K
    www.fadesaway.com

Matt...
    Fades Away

User Info Menu

The set is home but I have to send my other kit away before I can set this one up.

Fades Away, Here is what the guys said. You either have to hook your computer up to it or use the SD card or usb disk. You must leave it plugged into your computer to use the midi feature. You also must have a program that does midi. Or put it on a card or usb and use it that way. You must have it plugged in to the computer, card or usb to use it. You cannot save it to the brain.
    Last edited by fishstix; 06-18-2009 at 08:57 PM. Reason: added last sentence

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fishstix View Post
    The set is home but I have to send my other kit away before I can set this one up.

Fades Away, Here is what the guys said. You either have to hook your computer up to it or use the SD card or usb disk. You must leave it plugged into your computer to use the midi feature. You also must have a program that does midi. Or put it on a card or usb and use it that way. You must have it plugged in to the computer, card or usb to use it. You cannot save it to the brain.
    Awww, that's kind of lame, i was hoping to be able to put more sounds on the brain. You think you would be able to. Oh well.
    www.fadesaway.com

Matt...
    Fades Away

User Info Menu

Yes you would think you would be able to save them on the brain. I may have to take the other set down and put it in the closet until my brother can come and pick up so I can get the set up and be able to play.

User Info Menu

ive had mine for about a year now and since ive purchased it the kickpad, highhat pedal, and tom#4 have stopped working. i think i can fix them but still

User Info Menu

I play my Roland TD-9 through an Alesis Transactive portable PA amp.

I've heard a lot of people compliment the Simmons DA200, so the DA50 should be a good choice.

I like the Alesis because it has an ipod dock (recharges) and multiple inputs (I play electric guitar, bass, and mandolin); a battery pack too!

I think it was about $200.