Thread: Attitude

User Info Menu

Default Attitude

(I wasn't really sure where to put this, so move it if necessary)

The drumline I am in has been having summer rehearsals from 8am-5pm for that past couple of days for early summer rehearsal. The veterans got to meet the new freshmen for the first time, and at this point, their attitude is getting to me. One of the vet's attitudes has been bad enough, and I have tried putting up with it for the past 2 years, with little success. One of our other vets it taking on the attitude of the younger students, as he seems to know them well. I have done my best to remain positive, not insulting them, trying not to go off on them when they make mistakes, trying not to yell at them or argue with them. I don't think I'll be able to stand it for much longer. My friends keep telling me I look more and more frustrated, grouchy, and act a lot more irrational. I think it's just starting to be too much for me to handle, since only I and 2 others, out the the entire drumline, are the only ones making an effort to have a good attitude. I figured I'd come here for tips before I snap during rehearsal. The new show music, cadences, and warm ups are too much for the line to handle. The attitude doesn't help the matter. I am just getting more and more pissed off at them, and I don't want to have a bad attitude. Does anyone have any tips? Sorry if I was rambling, like I said, I'm a little frustrated.
    Last edited by tidus1112; 06-16-2009 at 06:28 PM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Attitude

I noticed the time. 5 AM to 8 PM??? SERIOUSLY???!!! Nobody likes to wake up before 7, let alone arrive at drumline at 5. Not only that, the cadences seem impossible because there is no time for breakfast, the MOST important meal of the day. So everyone's all confused not only because they haven't adjusted their brains to do the cadences, their brains aren't fueled either. Our drumline is good and we have practices on Wednesdays (yikes, that's Tomorrow!!) from 6 PM to 9 PM. Everything here revolves around the wake-up time and the arrival time. If possible, tell the drumline instructor to change the time. If he says "no", best luck to you.
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC
    RIP frank. You'll never be forgotten.
    Post by Yohin: "I never say anything good enough for anyone's sig."

PearlDrummer18 Guest

I agree with CB. 8 to 5 is along time to be out in the sun ( assuming you are practiceing outside ) to be beating on a drum. Being out in the heat all day like that could make anybody a little cranky. Sounds like to me you need to call a meeting and get the drummers together and just get everything out on the table. If someone has a problem with somebody then talk it out like mature adults and move on. If you can do that then maybe that will ease some of the attitudes and everybody can work together as a team.

User Info Menu

It's not the amount of time I'm talking about so much as the time they start. I wake up at 5 for school, and I'm never happy about it. Even being a drummer, I don't like drumming at 5 in the morning.
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC

User Info Menu

i know what tidus1112 is talking about because my drumline does summer rehearsals and in the beginning none of the warmups and cadences line up because of the new people on the line and because of people moving to different drums and every year im worried but after a few weeks we all start linning up and sounding good. but we don't practice from 8 to 5 only from 10 to 12
    Terrorous Tenors

User Info Menu

That's basically how my drumline works out, too.
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC

User Info Menu

Concrete, they start at 8:00 AM. Not 5:00 AM.

This is a band camp kind of thing? Make 'em do suicides when they mess up a part for the third time.

User Info Menu

oh.. Well still. That's a long time for drumline.
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC

User Info Menu

ok we do the same thing but later on in the summer.
    talk to your band director about it.
    if that doesnt work talk to your captain, we had a lot of people on the line with bad attitudes last year, finally our captain was like if you guys continue to keep a bad attitude i will talk to mr.barnes (our band director) and get you off this line
    The only way to catch a butterfly is never waiting for the wings.

User Info Menu

Hang in there man. I've never been on a drumline but I know how the "vets" vs "rookie" thing goes. It's frustrating to say the least but reading from what you wrote, it's changing the core person of who you are.

Talk to the advisors not the "vets" in charge and tell them your need for some changes on how things are being handled with the attitude and share frustration you brought here to vent.

Good luck bro.

User Info Menu

We aren't in the sun the whole time. We actually were just working on basics, fundamentals, and trying to work with the rookies, teaching them the warm ups and a few rudiments to get them started (although we did move on to cadences and show music the second day). The schedule wasn't really all that bad. It was only Mon. to Wed. 8-5 with random breaks in between as well as a lunch break from 12:20 or so to about 1:30. This is a normal day for most of us, and actually, 8:00 is really like sleeping in compared to the usual 7:00 or so that we would normally have marching practice. My basic problem though, is that no one seems to respect any sort of authority, and no one seems to respect each other. The newly chosen officer, as of yesterday, has been giving me many issues. She seems to believe I am incompetent, and she doesn't want things done in any way that doesn't suit her. I was, of course, practicing a little bit after the rehearsal, where she yells "Shut the f... up!!" I proceeded to ask why, where she said, "because rehearsal is over, we don't want to play after rehearsal." I stopped, and within 5 minutes, she began to practice on another set of drums. I didn't say anything, but, this really really pissed me off. Any tips on how to handle her specifically? BTW, this is only one example of what she does. There are MANY more. Thanks for the replies also, guys.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tidus1112 View Post
    My basic problem though, is that no one seems to respect any sort of authority, .....................................The newly chosen officer, as of yesterday, has been giving me many issues........................... and she doesn't want things done in any way that doesn't suit her.
    Things that make you go hmmmmm.

User Info Menu

hmmmm....ya, I'd ask the instructor if there could be tryouts for a new section leader. In all respect, the leader should be at least a bit kind to the rest of the drumline. This is bad. Someone who yells someone to stop and then proceeding to do what she just yelled at someone for is not fair, and yelling itself isn't being a good leader. But doing something after telling someone not to do that AND giving a reason is just unfair and unjust. If I were you, I wouldn't take that. I'd report it to the instructor. You should have a PM in your box.
    Last edited by concrete Building; 06-19-2009 at 04:12 PM.
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC

User Info Menu

With regards to your hypocritical officer, although I hate to be the one to promote any sort of violent behaviour at all, you do after all have a roughly 16" chunk of wood in each hand...
    Mapex Mafia

User Info Menu

Surprisingly (sarcasm) we had a rehearsal without her that was much more relaxed and much more helpful. We only went from 12:00 - 5:00 today, since it makes it less demanding, and we are just trying to get to know our new percussion director. We did the same thing last week without the director, and we quit at 3:00, since she decided we didn't need to practice much for the one day a week we were practicing, and she had a hair appointment... The one day of the week we have practice, our officer schedules a hair appointment >.> As for reporting her, well, I'm not sure that that'd be the best approach. This sounds a little...cowardly, I suppose, but she is not one of the types of people to piss off. She kind of holds grudges, not to mention, she is good at being annoying as hell. Plus, my drumline probably wouldn't support reporting her, since, although they don't like her methods, they are friends with her (as am I). Hopefully our percussion director will handle it. I'm going to let it sit for a few weeks. Our percussion director is cool enough that he can probably settle her down a bit. Thanks again for all the input guys, this really helped.