Thread: Hand pain

User Info Menu

Default Hand pain

In the last few days I've been experiencing pain in my left hand, specifically the "meaty" part of the hand just under the thumb. I'm not sure why this is, because I've never experienced it before.

I do play for long periods of time but this starts up only after about a half hour, and again I never experienced it before so I don't think that time is the issue. Maybe how I am holding the stick or something, although I thought I was holding it right (I've watched videos, etc.). Anybody have any ideas? It's really making playing a drag.

Thanks in advance.
    "I eat a lot of deserts and play Warcraft for three hours a day." - John Dolmayan on how he keeps himself from tiring out

User Info Menu

Default Re: Hand pain

if you are extending the time that you are playing, it may just be typical muscle pain while you build up endurance. about 4 years ago when i began doing the working bar band thing, i found out quickly i was not in physical shape to play 4 hour nights, with setup and teardown. i endured many leg, foot and hand cramps-pains for the first couple of months doing it 2-3 nights a week.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by matthew62593 View Post
    In the last few days I've been experiencing pain in my left hand, specifically the "meaty" part of the hand just under the thumb. I'm not sure why this is, because I've never experienced it before.

I do play for long periods of time but this starts up only after about a half hour, and again I never experienced it before so I don't think that time is the issue. Maybe how I am holding the stick or something, although I thought I was holding it right (I've watched videos, etc.). Anybody have any ideas? It's really making playing a drag.

Thanks in advance.
    How long do you allow yourself to warm up before the long hours of playing? Do you use traditional or matched grip?

I had the same pain but in my right hand on the fat part off the thumb right above the wrist right?. The pain went away after I found out I was too tense on the stick, hand and arm and I did not have the right grip on the stick.

It took a wise drum teacher to actually mimic my playing style as he watched me play and corrected my issues with grip, hand and arm motion.

As soon as I forced myself to play relaxed, my hand and thumb pain subsided.

I hope you heal quick. Good luck.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    How long do you allow yourself to warm up before the long hours of playing? Do you use traditional or matched grip?
    I use matched grip. And as for warm ups, I play 10-15 minutes, and stretch, and before me and my brother (who plays guitar) do anything too crazy we play some slower songs to get warmed up further.

Thanks for the help guys. I'm gonna try asking around to see if my grip is too tense, or if I'm holding the stick wrong.
    "I eat a lot of deserts and play Warcraft for three hours a day." - John Dolmayan on how he keeps himself from tiring out

User Info Menu

Are you playing more difficult parts then you have in the past? Your left hand is often not conditioned for playing the fast parts because most of the beginner and a few intermediate beats use the left hand only two beats a measure.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by matthew62593 View Post
    I use matched grip. And as for warm ups, I play 10-15 minutes, and stretch, and before me and my brother (who plays guitar) do anything too crazy we play some slower songs to get warmed up further.

Thanks for the help guys. I'm gonna try asking around to see if my grip is too tense, or if I'm holding the stick wrong.
    I found out that my right thumb was off to the left side of the stick rather than the correct position of the fleshy part of the thumb being on top to create the fulcrum.

The impact of my right hand as it held the stick against the top of the HH cymbal forced the muscle under my thumb to become strained.

Here's a few pics on what I'm trying to describe.
    Attached Images Attached Images

User Info Menu

Try stretching and warming up. It's probably one of those deals that when you do something for longer than you normally do, you find muscles that you didn't know you had. But be careful! When it starts to hurt, stop. That's the point of it hurting, it's telling your mind to stop! ha ha but if it continues, like said above, pick apart your technique. It may also help to allow a day or two for healing. Like body builders, usually you lift heavy for a day and allow the next day for your body to heal.
    www.fadesaway.com

Matt...
    Fades Away

Forever I am Forgiven, and Forever, I will Rejoice.

User Info Menu

Well what I did was I tilted my grip just a tad with the left hand to make the palm facing the ground a bit more and it actually worked really well. I'm also noticing more control in the power and clarity of my strokes. Thanks very much everyone for your help, I think I have this under control now.