Thread: Gretsch Catalina hoops

User Info Menu

Default Gretsch Catalina hoops

I know that the hoops on Gretsch Catalina toms are 2.5mm flanged hoops, but recently I've heard the snare comes with die cast hoops. Does anyone know if this is true or not?
    Matt

User Info Menu

Default Re: Gretsch Catalina hoops

im pritty sure its true but not 100 %

User Info Menu

Yohin, my Catalina Maple kit came with a 2.5 mm triple flange hoop on all the drums. I checked the retailers, and the Gretsch website, and there seems to be no change on the Catalina Maple kit, or the Catalina Ash kit. You didn't say which specific kit you were thinking about though, so I am just passing along what I know about the Maple and Ash kits.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I was talking about the Catalina Maple, PB. I was just searching for reviews of it and I came across one of them that said this

"The 6"X14" 8-lug snare has that unparalleled maple sound of bowling a strike! The 20-wire snare strainer is easily controlled by the Lightning throw-off. The 2.5 mm die-cast hoops in conjunction with the 6-ply shell make rimshots that sound like a rifle, and, of course, the sensitivity and response of maple can make buzz rolls sound like a piece of silk being slowly torn, yet can also be hit very hard without compressing."

Now that I look at it though, it's probably just a typo.
    Matt

User Info Menu

Yep, definitely a typo.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I agree with PB probably a typo, my Birch Catalina kit has the same hoops on the snare, as on the other drums.
    Gretsch Catalina Birch 6 piece fusion set (10,12,14,16in. Toms, 22 Bass). Sabian 20" HH Classic Ride, 16" Istanbul Agop Dark Crash, & Zildian K 13" Hi-hats.