Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: timpani players

User Info Menu

Default timpani players

do any of you play timpani

User Info Menu

Cool timpani players

Hey, timpanist09! I confess hand drumming fanatics like me sometimes forget that "percussion" includes a wider range of instruments than most people think.

Do you play in a symphony or show orchestra, or are you a student? Either way, I'd like to find out more about one of the few percussion instruments that I haven't tried yet.

Thanks--and
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

just a student and soon to be part time medic

User Info Menu

and what do you want to know i might be able to help

User Info Menu

I play timpani! just today in band class me and my friends were jamming and i ran too the timps. we played a good 20 min song lol

is there something u wanted or were you just wondering?
    I really wish that we could actually show the pictures in here...

User Info Menu

what was the name of the song

User Info Menu

unamed, basically my friend set him self up on the drum kit, anouther on the congas/bongos/a few hand cymbals and me on the timps and the drum kit player gave us a groove

then we all just kind of played along. we've been jamming like this after band classes for about 2 months now and its a load of fun

basically i was useing a lot of cross over exersises on the timps. If you want i can draw out a little description of it for you. its just some basic ones tho

User Info Menu

i play them along with mallets during symphonic band...my fav song that we played this year was a John Williams medly...in which...i played the timps on...Star Wars rocked out...
    Takin Charge of the Guys...I love it!

Seniors Class of 2007

User Info Menu

nice did any of you ever play russian christmas music on the timps my fav part starts at measure 188 to the end its only 3 pages long over 300 measures and very fun but at 188 i have this big *** solo for like 15 measures and it rocks the whole school the dynamics are gorrila forteat first we got new timps so i didnt want to dent the heads so i played at like a mezo piano then my diroctor said if i did dent them he would buy new ones and we would both put them on

User Info Menu

Oh ok heres a good question.

Tuning the timps!
    When you tuning do you use the stick or your finger?
    Do you set the gauges?
    Use a tuner?

User Info Menu

i only ever use my ear for almost every tuneing prosess exspecially during marchind season during concert band i rarley use the gauage

User Info Menu

and i use my finger when preforming during practice i use my mallets

User Info Menu

anyone on

User Info Menu

wake up people

User Info Menu

Im awake but have nothing to say

User Info Menu

join the club was it you i said about that girl that likes me said

User Info Menu

what she is that is

User Info Menu

jeez no one wants to know what she called herself or why she called me gay because of what she said

User Info Menu

and for the record i AM NOT GAY

User Info Menu

Cool timpani players

Actually I think you and Daemon answered some of my questions in your posts...I suspect many, if not all the rudiments of the set are used in playin' tympani...

and Daemon, I can only imagine how cool the tymps sound offsetting bongos and congas...
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

your right, most rudiments are used, but bounce strokes are NEVER used on the timpani unless the song absolutely demands it! the bounces just dampen the drum and it doesnt sound very nice at all. but doubles can still be used if the second stroke is another full stroke.

User Info Menu

well bongobro if you think of any thing you want to ask dont be afraid we are somewhat pros at this im not sure aboutd daemon but im pretty close to it if you ask me or anyone in nanticoke area bands they will say that i mean like the marching jazz or concert band im not in the jazz band though no timpani no me

User Info Menu

yo daemon did i tell you what one girl said to me were you the one from dr love is in

User Info Menu

no lol that wasn't me

User Info Menu

she said that she was ts tell me that is not messed up and i know she is not if you saw her you would know that