Thread: What tone for toms?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

User Info Menu

Default What tone for toms?

Could y'all advise me? Just got my Mapex-M set, I tuned them up, but not sure if they sound as they should. Any audio files available to correctly tune them? I'd appreciate the help!
    sholmes2112
    p.s. Yes, I saw the other thread about tuning, but wasn't sure if today's internet technology could help you find the correct tones.
    Last edited by sholmes2112; 01-23-2007 at 03:32 PM.

User Info Menu

tune your toms to the sound you like. or tune them to a song

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by james
    tune your toms to the sound you like. or tune them to a song
    That is what I do. For practice I tune them for how I like them: Medium to medium loose in tightness. When we record, I change the pitch to match the song. If the song has lots of bass and low end, I will tune the drums up higher so they do not get lost. And if the song has a high bright sound, I will tune them low to give a nice solid foundation for the song.

Keith

User Info Menu

"tune your toms to the sound you like. or tune them to a song"

I keep my toms tight especially the smaller tom, i like playing old songs where the toms sounded very high.
    I AM SABIAN MAN!

Next Drum Purchase: Piccolo Snare
    Next Cymbal purchase: Splash cymbal and splash claw.

User Info Menu

i start by tuning the top skins (bottom skins off of the drums) untill i find the pitch i like for each drum and then tune the bottom skin to the exact same note and you will hear absoulutly no ringing. Then i always take the bottom skin down about a 1/8 of a turn with the key to give it just a little ring. I find this works great for any drum (except marching snares those are special)
    I really wish that we could actually show the pictures in here...

User Info Menu

Hello, funny I have a drumset on my myspace page www.myspace.com/ddrumbum that is awesome, I use this drumset as a reference to what I want my kit to sound like, seriously I recommend you check it out, use this as a template then chage from there if you want, I think it is a great tool.

User Info Menu

Quick questions, will toms wear out faster with a looser skin? and how do i get ride of the "Echo" on my toms? (high, low, medium)

User Info Menu

Im not sure about the wear thing, i dont play hard enough to find out....
    But as for the ringing ride thing, you would need the ride and the tom to be at the same frequency. So it would depend on the ride and toms.
    I really wish that we could actually show the pictures in here...

User Info Menu

Lafirin hello, I just don't really understand your questions, can you please clarify, I would love to help.

User Info Menu

ok ill rephrase the question. Ok my bass pedal has a little dent in it were the peddle hits. is this normal? iv had the drum set for about 7 months, am i playing to hard or what?
    other qeustion, My tom drums have a ringing sound after i hit them, how do i stop it?

User Info Menu

i looked on your website ( sweet drum set ):D

User Info Menu

OK lafirin, as far as the dent in the I am assuming you have a dent in the head were the beater hits, yes this is perfectly normal, but you are wearing out your head, BUT there is a very easy fix to this, go to your local music store and buy a thing called a drum patch and put it directly over the dent, exactly where the beater makes contact with the head, this will make the head last much longer, and it adds a little more attack sound to the kick drum.

Question two the ringing you are experiencing is called resonance, most of the time this is what we are after, but to much can be aweful, here is what I suggest, retune your drums, one by one, take the heads off of both side, then start with the batter head(the head you will be hitting)put the head on and finger tighten each lug, in a cross motion, then start to tighten the drum with your key a 1/4 turn at a time on each lug, after you have done this, hit the drum lightly to hear it's tone, if it sounds good to you, leave it, if it doesn't, tighten the lugs another 1/4, and check the tone again, do this til you like the sound.

Resonant head(or bottom head)to get the annoying ring you are after, and to get a beautiful full tone from you toms, tune the bottom head exactly as the top head, this should eliminate that excessive ringing, hope this helps.

User Info Menu

okay you explained all to well thanks alot bro :D

User Info Menu

Try it and let me know how it works for you.

User Info Menu

will do!

User Info Menu

Thanks for all the great info. How come they (the Mapex manufacturer, to be specific) recommend that you tune the r-head slightly higher than the b-head? 'Cos many of you are saying that it's better to tune them exactly the same.
    I appreciate everyone's responses. My set kicks so much ***, that the other day, I put a picture of it as the wallpaper for my computer screen. My wife walked into my office just as I was doing this, and naturally she gets all huffy. "Where are pix of me and the boys? Qué tal raza!" (She's from Perú, so sometimes she turns into Ricky Ricardo from I Love Lucy and gets all crazy on me in Spanish.)
    sholmes2112