Any well tuned snare.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Snares

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    Any well tuned snare.
    I couldn't have said it better!
    - Tom

See the new Drum Bum Store!

When you shop at Drum Bum or BuyGifts.com, you help with the costs of operating DrumChat.com. Please consider patronizing their fine stores. Whether you need unique music gifts for friends or just want a little something for yourself, Drum Bum is the place!

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Agreed! Wih the right heads and tuinng, any snare can be what you want it to be
    Mapex Drums | Zildjian and Meinl Cymbals | Evans Drumheads | Pro Mark Drum Sticks

User Info Menu

Although I quite like the Black Panthers...
    - Zack

User Info Menu

I am not sure what tone you are going for but I am currently playing a pork pie BB brass snare for a deep sound with nice warm tone and BIG sound (notice, I did not say loud). I am currently recording a few songs that are similar to Breaking Benjamin, A Perfect Circle and I am really liking the sound I am getting out of this snare. I have a snare addiction and I find it sort of funny how I will change between snares based on mood and the song.

User Info Menu

I agree with these two...

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    Any well tuned snare.
    Quote Originally Posted by xweasel View Post
    Although I quite like the Black Panthers...
    I've gotten all my BPs used for about $100 each. Not bad considering two of them are phosphor bronze. The only downside to them is I gotta keep them in my hands at all time during gigs... other drummers like them a bit too much.
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

User Info Menu

kd......welcome to the board . And as you have already seen , a good tuning with descent heads and youre in business .
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

Like they said - any snare would work, but depending on your tastes in snare sound I would probably suggest a 14x6 or deeper if you're playing more rock/alternative and maybe a 13" if you're playing a lot of metal/screamo.
    Peace, Love, and Rock N Roll

Matt

User Info Menu

Ditto, ditto, ditto. I used to have a Peavey steel snare that didn't sound so great. I put an Evans Genera HD Dry on that bad boy, and BANG, problem solved. I still miss that snare. (Went with the Peavey kit when I sold it.)
    Robert

"Ok Guys This Is In Da Key Of Boom Chick Boom Boom Chick...." - SIR PHROGGE

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, write a sonnet, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, solve equations, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." Robert Heinlein

Zildjian League #1 Flunkie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LagerHead View Post
    Ditto, ditto, ditto. I used to have a Peavey steel snare that didn't sound so great. I put an Evans Genera HD Dry on that bad boy, and BANG, problem solved. I still miss that snare. (Went with the Peavey kit when I sold it.)
    Ah yes the HD Dry solves every snare problem. It's my favorite head.
    Peace, Love, and Rock N Roll

Matt

User Info Menu

Do you guys like the HD dry for recording? I have noticed it records some what "thin" when it gets into the mix and to resolve the problem I have to duplicate the track and that is with a double mic set up with a mic on the batter head and the reso head.

User Info Menu

anything that goes poing! like a 311 snare