Any well tuned snare.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Snares

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    Any well tuned snare.
    I couldn't have said it better!

User Info Menu

Agreed! Wih the right heads and tuinng, any snare can be what you want it to be
    Mapex Drums | Zildjian and Meinl Cymbals | Evans Drumheads | Pro Mark Drum Sticks

User Info Menu

Although I quite like the Black Panthers...
    - Zack

User Info Menu

I am not sure what tone you are going for but I am currently playing a pork pie BB brass snare for a deep sound with nice warm tone and BIG sound (notice, I did not say loud). I am currently recording a few songs that are similar to Breaking Benjamin, A Perfect Circle and I am really liking the sound I am getting out of this snare. I have a snare addiction and I find it sort of funny how I will change between snares based on mood and the song.

User Info Menu

I agree with these two...

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    Any well tuned snare.
    Quote Originally Posted by xweasel View Post
    Although I quite like the Black Panthers...
    I've gotten all my BPs used for about $100 each. Not bad considering two of them are phosphor bronze. The only downside to them is I gotta keep them in my hands at all time during gigs... other drummers like them a bit too much.
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

User Info Menu

kd......welcome to the board . And as you have already seen , a good tuning with descent heads and youre in business .
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

Like they said - any snare would work, but depending on your tastes in snare sound I would probably suggest a 14x6 or deeper if you're playing more rock/alternative and maybe a 13" if you're playing a lot of metal/screamo.
    Matt

User Info Menu

Ditto, ditto, ditto. I used to have a Peavey steel snare that didn't sound so great. I put an Evans Genera HD Dry on that bad boy, and BANG, problem solved. I still miss that snare. (Went with the Peavey kit when I sold it.)
    Robert

"Ok Guys This Is In Da Key Of Boom Chick Boom Boom Chick...." - SIR PHROGGE

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, write a sonnet, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, solve equations, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." Robert Heinlein

Zildjian League #1 Flunkie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LagerHead View Post
    Ditto, ditto, ditto. I used to have a Peavey steel snare that didn't sound so great. I put an Evans Genera HD Dry on that bad boy, and BANG, problem solved. I still miss that snare. (Went with the Peavey kit when I sold it.)
    Ah yes the HD Dry solves every snare problem. It's my favorite head.
    Matt

User Info Menu

Do you guys like the HD dry for recording? I have noticed it records some what "thin" when it gets into the mix and to resolve the problem I have to duplicate the track and that is with a double mic set up with a mic on the batter head and the reso head.

User Info Menu

anything that goes poing! like a 311 snare