Thread: snare head tuning?

User Info Menu

Default snare head tuning?

a while back, i replaced the bottom head of my snare drum. i guess i messed with trying to tune it too much and now i think i've stretched it out. literally, the hoops are leveled with the edge of the shell (yeah ) how do you tune a bottom snare head without over-stretching it?
    !!!PROG-METAL!!!
    GO UTEP MINERS!!!

User Info Menu

Default Re: snare head tuning?

as long as you put it on the same as any other head i don't see the problem

its just the plastic stretching, totally normal

User Info Menu

I tend to tune my bottom snare head to the "I think I might break it" tension.
    A good drummer will sound good on anything(even stock drum heads). A bad drummer will sound bad on anything.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by liquid_drum_theater351 View Post
    a while back, i replaced the bottom head of my snare drum. i guess i messed with trying to tune it too much and now i think i've stretched it out. literally, the hoops are leveled with the edge of the shell (yeah ) how do you tune a bottom snare head without over-stretching it?
    I use the drum dial to prevent too much tension. If you don't have one, I think someone mentioned tuning the snare reso to the harmonic pitch of "A".

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Reverend D. View Post
    I tend to tune my bottom snare head to the "I think I might break it" tension.
    Same here. I think its because of the way my pearl forum snare bed is cut, if I don't tune it that tight it has a horrible buzz. One that hurts you ears; not annoy, it actually does hurt.

User Info Menu

yeah, i like my snare heads tight. i recently bought a drum dial and it helped me alot. only thing is i think i messed it up before i got the dial. i had messed around it too much i think and i think that's how it overstretched.
    !!!PROG-METAL!!!
    GO UTEP MINERS!!!