Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how can i clean my drums??

User Info Menu

Default how can i clean my drums??

i just wanna clean my kit a lil cuz it has alotta dust. marks, stuff like that. but i dont want to buy any type of cleaner or anything. well i will, but like i want to use whatever i can from my house first. and buy as a last resort. so what can i use people, so they look beautiful (both the shell/wrap and all the metal work, and even the rack/cymbal stands/holders). such as windex, etc.

thanks guys
    -Chrome Pearl Export
    10 in tom
    12 in tom
    13 in tom
    14 in floor tom
    16 in floor tom
    2-22 in bass drum
    Yamaha steel snare drum
    -Pro Mark Jordison and Adler sticks, Ahead Jordison sticks
    -Pearl Eliminators
    -2 sided Pearl ICON curved rack
    -ZXT Titanium 20 in ride
    ZXT Titanium 16 in crash
    ZXT 16 in crash
    Paiste 2000 Color Sound 20 in crash
    ZXT Titanium 10 in splash
    ZXT Titanium 14 in hi hats
    ZXT 13 in hi hats
    Paiste 502 Bronze 14 in hi hats

User Info Menu

Default Re: how can i clean my drums??

I'd use something that works on chrome for your hardware and maybe some wood wipes if you have them for the woodwork. If you have Brasso, that would work nicely for the chrome and your cymbals.
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC
    RIP frank. You'll never be forgotten.
    Post by Yohin: "I never say anything good enough for anyone's sig."

User Info Menu

i use a enjo cloth ...its pro styles....

User Info Menu

Spit and a rag

User Info Menu

Non ammonia windex if your kit is wrapped.

User Info Menu

little bit of pledge spray and a rag, great shine!

User Info Menu

Ok i have just completed a huge cleaning job...find a product called " Sprayway" its a glass cleaner that all the pro window cleaners use..it has no amonia and leave no streaks..and it works great on wraps..even chrome..and the good news is its cheaper than windex!!!
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

Go to a music store and gett Dunlap Drum Shell polish or the Guitar polish. Works wonderful as a non-abrasive spray, easy to apply and clean. Keeps my Red Sparkle beauties looking their best all the time. You don't have to use it very often...I do about once a month or so and simply "Dust" in between time.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

compressed air cleans the rings out good

if women don't find you handsome.
    they should atleast find you handy.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post
    Go to a music store and gett Dunlap Drum Shell polish or the Guitar polish. Works wonderful as a non-abrasive spray, easy to apply and clean. Keeps my Red Sparkle beauties looking their best all the time. You don't have to use it very often...I do about once a month or so and simply "Dust" in between time.
    d4n, if you want to get all the marks off and have your drums looking new again, I agree with Frank. I use guitar polish every couple of months, and just a dust rag in between polishings. It keeps my beauties looking like new.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post
    Keeps my Red Sparkle beauties looking their best all the time.
    Man fiacovaz - I can't get eoungh of that photobucket shot of your Red drums in your signature. That is a cool photo! I've seen it when looking on other threads and each time I look at it I think what a great shot.

Quote Originally Posted by d4n13l0930 View Post
    i just wanna clean my kit a lil cuz it has alotta dust. marks, stuff like that. but i dont want to buy any type of cleaner or anything. well i will, but like i want to use whatever i can from my house first. and buy as a last resort. so what can i use people, so they look beautiful (both the shell/wrap and all the metal work, and even the rack/cymbal stands/holders). such as windex, etc.

thanks guys
    Soap and warm water works great on cymbals. You have to scrub a little but it won't remove metal like most cleaners will. Then you just let them dry in the sun and buff-em-off.
    I take the heads off my drums, wipe them down with a soft rag and them put a little Mother's Carnauba wax (made from a plant in South America) on them and buff them.
    I use a little "Never-Dull" on my chrome. Just be careful not to get it on the drum finish (so they tell me). It's worked for me so far.
    Gary

User Info Menu

iv been cheating and using thinners on my cymbals

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by concrete Building View Post
    I'd use something that works on chrome for your hardware and maybe some wood wipes if you have them for the woodwork. If you have Brasso, that would work nicely for the chrome and your cymbals.
    Doesn't Brasso remove the lacquer on your cymbals? Not sure, I just thought I heard that somewhere.
    Robert

"Ok Guys This Is In Da Key Of Boom Chick Boom Boom Chick...." - SIR PHROGGE

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, write a sonnet, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, solve equations, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." Robert Heinlein

Zildjian League #1 Flunkie

User Info Menu

I use Gibson guitar polish (when I actually clean them)...Just don't use any type of cleaner with silicone in it.It gets into the clear on your finish.I don't think it would matter with a wrap

User Info Menu

Even though you said you don't want to spend money... I would recomend Zildjian Cymbal cleaner to anyone. I've used it with Zildjian, Sabian, and Paiste cymbals. Makes the shine like you wouldn't believe. You do need to put a fair amount of Elbow grease into it though.

Personally I've used rubbing alcohol to clean my drums, Does anyone know if that is bad for them? They shine like a pro though. I should probably get a picture of them up soon, I'll get on that.

Hope this Helps

User Info Menu

...then when you're done cleaning, throw a sheet over the kit to keep dust off. Or better, buy a cover made by Beato that's light nylon with sewn-in weights at four corners and mid-span. I did and it works great.

User Info Menu

I realize that that this thread is a few weeks old, but DO NOT listen to anyone that says use Pledge on your cymbals. I just bought 2 crashes, a set of Hi hats and a 20" inch ride, all are AAX Sabians, (were) brilliant finish. I looked around the internet to see how best to protect them from nylon stick marks. I saw many comments on how Pledge works well.

Well let me tell you, Pledge turned my cymbals yellow and now they are all streaky looking and mismatched in color. They look awful and I now regret the day I took this advice.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by horsepower View Post
    I realize that that this thread is a few weeks old, but DO NOT listen to anyone that says use Pledge on your cymbals. I just bought 2 crashes, a set of Hi hats and a 20" inch ride, all are AAX Sabians, (were) brilliant finish. I looked around the internet to see how best to protect them from nylon stick marks. I saw many comments on how Pledge works well.

Well let me tell you, Pledge turned my cymbals yellow and now they are all streaky looking and mismatched in color. They look awful and I now regret the day I took this advice.

I should have been more clear, i only use pledge on my drums, i have never tried to use it on my cymbals, sorry to hear it mad them yellow
    Sabian-Remo-PDP

User Info Menu

Cheapest gig is 10% cloudy ammonia and water, clean rags, and dry rags to immed. wipe off. I have found Armor-All to be great shine/protect for plastic outer-shells.
    Currently electronics, with some "real" cymbals and a few accesories.

User Info Menu

Wow! I would never use Armor All on my shells. Pledge non wax or Guitar Polish that is what I use. For cymbals use Groove Juice for Cymbals. Windex non Ammonia works on hardware.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by d4n13l0930 View Post

thanks guys
    NON AMONIA WINDEX!!! Do not have anything with amonia in it. Use the windex on the shells and chrome
    If you have any money, go buy some brasso. That's the cheapest in house stuff for cymbals
    Drums:
    A ???? jazz set ( yet to be discovered, it's debadged ) with a Tama singstar 10" tom, a 12", 13" and a 16" floor tom all with internal dampeners all held up by a tama power tower rack, a percussion plus 14" snare, a set of custom k high hats and a Ludwig Speed King bass drum pedal

User Info Menu

i clean my drums with a soft clothes
    the clothes came together with the purchase of a pc screen protector
    and the clothes was intended for the cleaning of the screen
    i been using the cloth for many years now
    after cleaning, i just use a vacumn cleaner to clean of the dust on the cloth

nsra65 Guest

For Polishing chrome or brass get Mother's ...One of the best out there for that ....

User Info Menu

for the chrome, stands hardware, rack...go to car shop...(oreillys, autozone) get alum-polish...its made for cars but works killer on everything

for the shells
    wrapped: anything not water or acid based...you could discharge the glue holding it on, you also dont know how thick your wrap is and worse there could be cracks/holes that the water seeps in and sits on your naked shell until its too late.

for "finishes": go windex or clean and shine...some sort of furniture cleaner that leaves NO RESIDUE...

cymbals:
    depending on what you got, how long you plan to have them, how nice you have them...Clean and shine, alum-polish, chrome cleaner, brasso, nevrdull, or straight out grinderwheel and towel.

if you spend the time and take everything off, soak the hardware in automatic transmission fluid. it completely removes rust, lubricates it, adds a small oil film over the hardware and helps protect it if you live in a humidity rich environment.

User Info Menu

Groove juice shell/hardware shine every couple of months. And about once a week massage them with a nice soft dust rag aaaaahhhhhhh.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash