Thread: Lookin at gettin Gretsch...

User Info Menu

Question Lookin at gettin Gretsch...

Hey yall, wanted your input....I want a jazz/compact kit because I will be in an apartment situation when I get back home , so I looked at Yamaha, Pearl, and some customs, but I found that the Gretsch Catalina Club might be cool, what do yall think about this?

I have never played any Gretsch before, so I thought I would ask. Thanks for your help all.
    Romans 8:28

And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose.

User Info Menu

I want a gretsch set too.
    i don't know a whole lot about them though, they have a website.

User Info Menu

um....i don't know about club kits but i have played normal 5pc gretsch kits before and i liked what i played...i prefer my ludwig...but gretsch is generally pretty good too

User Info Menu

Have you looked at Sonor?
    BOOOOOO!!!

User Info Menu

i have a gretsch set and i think it sounds awesome i have a gretsch nighthawk which arent the bets but i still like them and i think that i'll stick with them... but then again thats just my opinion so i would go to your local music store and if they have a gretsch set up then play it and see what they sound like
    |M|o|u|n|t|a|i|n| |D|e|w| My Anti-Drug

User Info Menu

Boo, I haven't checked out Sonor, but thanks for the heads up. I will see if they have a good compact kit.

Blink, thanks for the info. If you are using a kit that you don't think is their best, and still like them, then they must be worth while. So I will, find out when I get back home, who carries them and play them.

Thank you for your input guys...

Drummer4Him

And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drummer4Him
    Hey yall, wanted your input....I want a jazz/compact kit because I will be in an apartment situation when I get back home , so I looked at Yamaha, Pearl, and some customs, but I found that the Gretsch Catalina Club might be cool, what do yall think about this?

I have never played any Gretsch before, so I thought I would ask. Thanks for your help all.
    Check it out...
    Last edited by Boo; 05-31-2006 at 09:06 PM.
    BOOOOOO!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Boo
    Check it out...

Dude, those are SWEET!!!!

Now yall know what I want for Christmas.

User Info Menu

Angry

Check it out...
    are you insane i have used a gretsh and they stink. when i first started drumming i used a gretsh and it was top of the line and it still stinked.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by michael temple
    are you insane i have used a gretsh and they stink. when i first started drumming i used a gretsh and it was top of the line and it still stinked.
    Now that you mention it...YES, I am insane. Does it really show ?
    ....but I'll bet this is a nice set for a jazz gig.
    BOOOOOO!!!

User Info Menu

Now that you mention it...YES, I am insane. Does it really show ?
    ....but I'll bet this is a nice set for a jazz gig.

LOL!!! I guess it really shows...LOL!!!!

User Info Menu

Gretsch is a good quality built drum. Im not possitive, but thought it was still made in the states. One of the last old drum name survivors.

User Info Menu

yeah i've heard that too

User Info Menu

I plan to get a gretsch set myself, and I'm pretty positive they make great drums. Another great thing is that their sets are not outragelousley over-priced, unlike other big drum companies.

User Info Menu

Gretsch makes great drums, and as a matter of fact, there's a sale right now for the Catalina Club set. You get a free tom (10" I think) with tom holder in addition to the other, standard 5 pieces. Unfortunately, no hardware comes with.
    Hope that helps...

User Info Menu

Thanks for the information bro. I will look into it. Gotta get the funds!!!! LOL!!!

User Info Menu

I don't know how much you are willing to spend but in 1969 I had a Gretch set. It was the best sounding drum set I've heard till today. With Noble Cooley and Orange County. But if you can afford a Gretch vintage set with the dual-muffling system on the toms. Play them if you can.You won't be disappointed. Can really get the best sound out of your drums. With that muffleing system. I still believe in it. No gels or duct tape needed. Play them and see how you like them. Ask the seller questions.I lost mine in a fire in the 70's. Sad Day. I don't think you'll be disappointed. Hendrix drummer I thinkit was Mitch Mitchell was using the same set that I had back then. Piano Black color.

User Info Menu

Default My '67 Gretsch

If you can find and afford it, look into a vintage set. I still have the set my parents bought me to play in church in 69 (67 club date set), and it records to this day beautifully. Good luck.