Thread: Double strokes.

User Info Menu

Default Double strokes.

So I'm a bit worried about my double strokes guys. I'm able to do them but I've reached a point where they are at a standstill, and I can't improve them. Now that know I'm watching more drummers (inspiration) I've noticed they control their double/triple strokes with their back fingers. I'm worried because I pinch the stick in between my index and thumb and control the bounces with that. Is there a set and defined way to control the bounces? Should I start practicing the double strokes in a different way before its too late?

~Cheers

User Info Menu

Default Re: Double strokes.

don't worry about them. The Cavaliers Drum corps do it the same way you're doing it. People are just showing off.
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC
    RIP frank. You'll never be forgotten.
    Post by Yohin: "I never say anything good enough for anyone's sig."

User Info Menu

Rein, listen carefully: You must be able to control the bounces with all fingers on the stick. Practice doubles slow to medium... RR LL ... over and over again on a pillow or low-rebound surface. The lack of rebound will force you to use your wrists, not your fingers. When you can control bounces with the wrist, you can then continue to play them faster but you don't need to "make" the fingers do the work. Your back 2 fingers will automatically start relaxing on their own when they need to move the stick faster. (As a note; more advanced drummers actually work on individual finger control separately but that comes much later.)

When you've done this for awhile, turn on a metronome and play with the beat. This will force you to control every stroke. Make every stroke very definite. Remember; you're practicing a double stroke roll, not a press roll.

User Info Menu

Do what Drummer says on a practice pad. If you ask ANY drummer who has used this, he will tell you to use a REELFEEL pad. There are fancy pads that are like snare drums and all that that cost WAY too much for a pad. Use reelfeel. I have one and I use it all the time.
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC

User Info Menu

Thanks for the tips. Time to practice.

~Cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by concrete Building View Post
    Do what Drummer says on a practice pad. If you ask ANY drummer who has used this, he will tell you to use a REELFEEL pad. There are fancy pads that are like snare drums and all that that cost WAY too much for a pad. Use reelfeel. I have one and I use it all the time.
    what is this reelfeel thingy? i have the vic firth small pad and happy with it

User Info Menu

Practice 4 stroke rolls(rrrr,llll) on the hard black side of a practice pad(little to no bounce). When you get good at those than you will be able to play 3 stroke(rrr,lll) and 2 stroke(rr,ll) even better. Start slowly and make sure each hit is with the same intensity. You will find that with the 4 and 3 stroke rolls you will need to losen your thumb and index finger grip and allow the stick to bounce freely. This has helped my stick control and overall playing greatly.
    Last edited by Reverend D.; 07-13-2009 at 02:34 PM.
    A good drummer will sound good on anything(even stock drum heads). A bad drummer will sound bad on anything.

User Info Menu

The double stroke roll, my nemesis, kind of embracing that I have been playing for thirty years, and can’t do a double stroke roll, no shame here now.

Question, does the stick continue to hit as a two stroke all the time, as you ingress speed, does it eventually become a single stroke, or always a double to the end no mater how fast.

Soon I will be over the hump of this long ignored rudiment.

KM
    http://www.myspace.com/thebanters

I'm still the best Keith Moon type drummer in the world
    My friends call me Keith, but you can call me John.
    - Keith Moon-

User Info Menu

you don't really need to move your hands that fast. Basically, just do sixteenth notes and bounce the sticks. Trust me, you'll get it.
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC

User Info Menu

I'm working with a guy ATM who si teahcing em (FINALLY!!!!!!!) and this is something he is working with me on. No offence to anyone on here but this guy is a freak of nature behind a kit - I'm talking PEart and Carey level ability - so I'm trusting his advice and guidance ATM.

Anyways - on to my point. Last night he basically told me that for my doubles upto a certain speed is all wrist movement. Beyond that pace (which wasn't all that quick to be honest) he said to use, what he refers to as the box technique - which is essentially the same thing as open close. He gave me a demo and i gotta say - I'm following his lead. For years I've been watching guys like this on Youtube - which is impressive, but getting to stand there and see it done in front of you - for YOUR benefit has blown me away.

Anyway - fingers are obviously a key part of this, and it comes down to getting the technique and grip position right - hence why I could never have done this on my own. If your uncertain about open/close - check out Jojo Mayer (for lack of an actual instructor that is) and his explanantion and examples of it. Also, Dave Weckle has a good instruction video showing this technique.
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kickman View Post
    Question, does the stick continue to hit as a two stroke all the time, as you ingress speed, does it eventually become a single stroke, or always a double to the end no mater how fast.
    ALWAYS a double. It will never turn into something else. At "every" speed you will be playing RR or LL in each hand.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by concrete Building View Post
    Basically, just do sixteenth notes and bounce the sticks.
    CB, it's important that every double is pronounced. Otherwise, you risk playing more of a press or buzz type of roll. A "Double Stroke Roll" is very intentional doubles with "full" control at all speeds.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    CB, it's important that every double is pronounced. Otherwise, you risk playing more of a press or buzz type of roll. A "Double Stroke Roll" is very intentional doubles with "full" control at all speeds.
    Exactly - this is what I'm learning ATM and couldn't be happeir about it. The potential speed you can get out of your playing by doing this right is amazing.
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?