Thread: Better sound

User Info Menu

Default Better sound

ok heres the deal ...my bass drum sounds quite crappy even after muffling ...i guess its because the bass pedal is cheap and so is the bass drum so i was thinking if i change the bass drum head and buy a good new beater will it better the sound or shud i buy a new bass drum and bass pedal ??

help this n00b out :D

User Info Menu

Hello, let me ask you this, how are you tuning the bass drum? for example are the heads really loose, really tight, one loose , one tight. Also what brand of heads are you using? How old are they? Are they all dented up?

I tune my kick drum on the batter side or the head where the beater hits just enough to get the wrinkles out, put your finger in the middle of the head and aplly just a little pressure, tighten the lugs, in a cross manner until the wrinkles are gone, then tap the edge near every lug to make sure they are all the same pitch, you should be hearing a nice deep thud sound.

Now on the resonant head or the head everyone see's, I tighten this one up, to get the wrinkles out, then I do two more full turns on each lug, I found this gives my kick drum super deep thud with lots of resonance, sounds like a canon going of, I love it, I also use the evans emad with the small ring, with no other muffling at all, and I use the felt side on my beater, hope this helps.

If you have any other question feel free to email me or IM me

User Info Menu

For bass drums, I have found over the years is that the heads make 80% of the sound and tuning does the rest. Evans heads are by far the best.

Keith

User Info Menu

in order for your kick drum to sound deep and punchy, it must be tuned, the heads are also very important, but so is tuning, I truly think it is a 50/50 deal, it takes them both to get a good sound. your kick with the right heads and tuning should need very little to no muffling.

User Info Menu

thanx alot ddrumbum and keith ....can u also tell me if the beater also contributes to the kind of sound produced
    thnx

User Info Menu

The beater does play a part, but not as big as the other two. IMO the felt beater gives a deeper warm tone while a hard beater gives a sharp cracky snap.

Keith

User Info Menu

exactly what kromberg said.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kromberg
    The beater does play a part, but not as big as the other two. IMO the felt beater gives a deeper warm tone while a hard beater gives a sharp cracky snap.

Keith
    I know one metal drummer who taped coins to his bass drums where the beaters hit - it gives it a really clacky type attack that mixes in with the drum sound.

User Info Menu

Jobby, that sounds like a real quick way to ruin you drumhead, I will most definitely not be trying that.

User Info Menu

I tune my heads opposite to you ddrumbum...

Batter Head tight and Resonant head just enough to get the wrinkles out. It almost sounds like the drum has been triggered, but not.

I think I like the batter being tuned tighter to get more rebound from the kickers.

HB58
    My Kit: Pearl Session Custom 7 Piece w/ Zildjian Cymbals
    My Band: Lead Redemption
    Current Favourite Band: Necrophagist
    Current Favourite Song: To Rid The Disease - Opeth
    Next purchase: Pearl 18"x16" Floor Tom, Zildjian A Custom Crash

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

Interesting helssbells58, I might just have to try that, how tight on the batter head?

User Info Menu

Bout the same as what you tune your resonant head to, maybe even a little less...

I wanna get me one of those TAMA tuner things, that give you the tensions of each head, then I could tell you precisely...

HB58

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

Hey hellsbells58 what size kick do you have? and what kind of head are you using, you have definitely got me curious.

User Info Menu

I have no idea about tuning so i just tune everything xtra tight.

User Info Menu

Vinnysimmo, would you like some suggestions, you are robbing you kit of probably great sound, if not thats cool, I guess.

User Info Menu

ddrumbum:

I have a 22"x20" Bass Drum. I'm using a Remo Ebony Ambassador (Black) Batter Head with a double Remo Falam Slam Pad. The Resonant Head is the standard black Pearl head (No Hole) that comes with the Session SMX line.

HB58

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

cool, thanks hellsbells

User Info Menu

No problems man. I've been using this tuning set-up since I saw it in Modern Drummer a while ago. It's the same set up that Chris Adler used when recording the early Lamb of God albums (New American Gospel etc).

HB58

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

Well my kit is really **** so it cant sound that good anaway.

User Info Menu

i remove my resonant head, because during our gigs the drums arent miced so it gives the bass a much louder attack, and i tune the batter head fairly medium

i get a great sound out of it

no resonant head is the way to go i say just because i dont want my bass to have a big resonance i want it fast and loud
    MY KIT: 5 Piece Westbury, Remo Ambassador Heads and Remo Muff'l Rings on all drums, Sabian AA 20" Metal-X Ride, Zildjian ZXT 16" Rock Crash, Pearl 14" Hats, Pearl 18" Crash Ride, Wuhan 12" China

Band Website:

The Torpedo Identity

http://www.myspace.com/thetorpedoidentity
    http://www.purevolume.com/blacksunn