Thread: Traditional grip experiment--need some advice

User Info Menu

Default Traditional grip experiment--need some advice

When I first learned to play in the '80s, I was 100% traditional and was quite good at marching and concert snare. After a ten-year hiatus, I started playing again using matched grip and have been playing kit that way for the last ten years. Recently, I started taking lessons because I felt my skills had plateaued, and the instructor suggested trying traditional grip again. It felt a bit odd since I've only done it occasionally in the last ten years. I spent about a week practicing on my own that way, then had a rehearsal today with my band (mostly rock) where I decided to do traditional grip all the way. I survived the experiment and even found playing that way to have a lot of positives. I read in MD that Ben Sesar, who plays for Brad Paisley, did it and found it helpful. On the other hand, getting around the kit was a bit awkward occasionally, although nobody in the band noticed.

The question is this--what are the advantages and disadvantages of sticking with the experiment and going back to traditional grip full-time? Has anyone else done this? I know there are some other threads on this topic but didn't find anything that quite answered my question. Thanks as always for the help.
    Ludwig Classic Maple w/Supraphonic Snare
    Sonor S-Classix
    Paiste New Signature Dark Energy

User Info Menu

Default Re: Traditional grip experiment--need some advice

I let the music decide which grip I use since I tend to alternate both grips.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

I only use traditional playing snare, but I say go for it. You might pick something up along the way that people like me who use matched don't.
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC
    RIP frank. You'll never be forgotten.
    Post by Yohin: "I never say anything good enough for anyone's sig."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post
    I let the music decide which grip I use since I tend to alternate both grips.
    I too would alternate my grip but am finding myself leaning more towards matched grip in the past year .

I know my son is taking lessons for the school band and his instructor is teaching them matched grip . He told me his teacher said it is easier for students to learn.
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

Yes the matched grip is easier to learn i think, now i can't speak from first hand experience but the uniform review from drummers that switch seems to be that traditional allows you to play faster, i know that sounds rediculous and i've never tried it but alot of drummers, including thomas llang have said that.
    www.fadesaway.com

Matt...
    Fades Away

Forever I am Forgiven, and Forever, I will Rejoice.

User Info Menu

Faster would be good, and I'm hoping crisper, too. Thanks, man.
    Ludwig Classic Maple w/Supraphonic Snare
    Sonor S-Classix
    Paiste New Signature Dark Energy

User Info Menu

I use matched grip because I find it more comfortable, and I can go faster and get more power into my hits.
    - Zack