Thread: What do you do with your broken Cymbals?

User Info Menu

Default What do you do with your broken Cymbals?

Hello, just curious what you all do with your cracked or broken cymbals? I am actually looking for some, believe it or not, seriously if you have some cracked or broken cymbals, please let me know.

User Info Menu

I have'nt cracked a cymbal in years, but I see them sell on Ebay every couple of weeks pretty cheap.
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

Never cracked mine but can i ask y you want them? Are you trying to get a really trashy sound
    I really wish that we could actually show the pictures in here...

User Info Menu

hello daemon, to answer your question, basically one mans junk is another mans treasure.

User Info Menu

I used to hang them on my basement wall kinda like hunter trophies when I was younger. Now I just toss them out.

Some people Ebay them for like $1 with $58 for shipping

Keith

User Info Menu

most people on ebay that buy them, cut the broken/cracked cymbals to a smaller size and use them as smaller cymbals.
    "Music is always an experiment."

User Info Menu

13drummer, that is exactly what you do, as long as the crack(s) are not to big, if you have a lathe, and a cracked cymbal, then you can easily have a new cymbal, I have done it to several cymbals, I purposely buy broken cymbals, lathe them to down to the biggest size past the crack, and them polish them and wal la and great sounding and looking cymbals that sounds awesome. My secret is out.

User Info Menu

lol...i've known this for a while man.

User Info Menu

I usually look for 18" to 20" thin crashes, I only buy Zildjian, just my preferance, and then the cymbal can only have at the most 1" crack(s)this way you can cut them down and still have lots of tonal characteristics to the cymbal.

User Info Menu

yep, my hats are really crappy. theyve got cracks all over the place. im cut em down once i get some new ones.

User Info Menu

What size are they? if they are 14" cut them down to a 13" or 12", I cut my olds ones down to a 12" and they sound awesome, I now use them for a second set.

User Info Menu

I got an 18" that I might try to make a 16".
    So do the 12" ones you cut down have a splash effect or still sound crashy.
    Thanks for the help

User Info Menu

Hello, what kind of 18" cymbal is it? it should be ok, the 12" cymbals actually have a splashy crashy sound, very unique.