Thread: Recording A Power Ballad

User Info Menu

Lightbulb Recording A Power Ballad

My band, Drachen, just got selected as one of the bands on an upcoming Helloween tribute album. This is a really great opportunity for us. The song we were selected to play is a power ballad. It's called "the Tale That Wasn't Right." Here's a link to a playlist with it included:
    http://music.myspace.com/index.cfm?f...bumid=12042234

I've never recorded a power ballad. I want the drums to sound as much like the original version as possible. Which means I want a massive snare sound and giant deep tom sound. I play a Yamaha YD Series kit. I believe it's mahogany, I don't even know what ply it is. I use a Pork Pie Big Brass Snare, 7x14. Tom dimensions are 12, 13, 16. This kit is a little older so my toms are actually pretty deep compared to more modern kits.

I was wondering if you guys had any advice for me. Mainly about what heads to use. The engineer we'll be working with does great work. I'm not concerned about mics and stuff. He knows his stuff. Any bit of advice would be very helpful and greatly appreciated.

P.S. I'm going to leave my 12' tom out when we record because I don't actually use it on the song.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Recording A Power Ballad

I record with the same Pork Pie as you. Are you using the stock snare wires and head? Changed mine out with a 42 strand bell brass snare wires and a Remo Controlled Sound Coated head with a Black Dot Bottom. I was having a little trouble at first making the snare sound big but with the changes I have done has created a HUGE/DEEP sound.

User Info Menu

Interesting. I have changed the wires but it's been a while so I'll probably snag some more. I use the the Evans ST Dry head. Sounds incredible. I'm just not sure how it would work in the studio.

User Info Menu

It will sound "thin". I bet the engineer will double mic the drum( Batter and reso) and have to copy your tracks and sum them to get the bigger sound. I had the same head and it sound very good in a confined space, but once it is in the studio and layered in the mix it will be thin and get lost even with the engineer carving out the correct hertz ranges.

User Info Menu

Really. Good to know dude. I have used Remo Controlled Sound's in the past with good results. Thanks for the advice.