Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cracked Cymbal Worth Repairing?

User Info Menu

Default Cracked Cymbal Worth Repairing?

I was wondering if anyone has tried other methods besides drilling out cracks. I work in a factory that has a circle shear and I could actually clamp the cymbal down and shear probably to the nearest inch on the other side of the crack. I actually think it would work but I don't know for sure. I might take one in next week the only problem is I gotta not let the bosses see me.

User Info Menu

Do it, it works great, I have done it several time, you just don't want ot take off to much, if the crack is to big, and it requires you take off alot, the sounds will change ALOT, most of the time the cymbal will get real pinging, good luck.

User Info Menu

sounds complicated. but amazingly
    cool at the same time.
    I AM SABIAN MAN!

Next Drum Purchase: Piccolo Snare
    Next Cymbal purchase: Splash cymbal and splash claw.

User Info Menu

Hey Ddrum when you say too big of a crack what is the limit that you would say about how many inches. I guess its probably best to trim down to the nearest inch right?

User Info Menu

Hello brando2112 let say you have an 18" cymbal with a 3" crack, you can cut it down but it will sound horrible, because you have taken away to much material, the closer you get to the bell, the worst it is going to sound, here is my limits on a 20" cymbal my crack limit is 3", 18" 2 and 16" 1", hope this helps.

NOTE: also try to cut perfect in between the grooves, this also helps with the sound.

User Info Menu

Thanks ddrum for the advice I will let you know how it goes hopefully it will sound pretty good

User Info Menu

No problem, goodluck, just remember the further away from the bell the better.

User Info Menu

Indeed it is my friend! What should i use when i cut the cymbal? scissors?
    "Music is always an experiment."

User Info Menu

Yea 13drummer use scissors, and then after you completely ruin the cymbal, try using a lathe.

User Info Menu

yeee 13s always got the smart ideas

User Info Menu

So ddrumbum, you use a lathe at how many RPM? And what tool to slice it down?

Because I have a 18" ZXT Titanium Cymbal that I love, with a half inch crack deep that has started to run along the groove of the cymbal. I would love to get it repaired. I'll post some pics, see if you think it would be worth repairing.

HB58
    My Kit: Pearl Session Custom 7 Piece w/ Zildjian Cymbals
    My Band: Lead Redemption
    Current Favourite Band: Necrophagist
    Current Favourite Song: To Rid The Disease - Opeth
    Next purchase: Pearl 18"x16" Floor Tom, Zildjian A Custom Crash

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

Hellsbells58 I would have to ask my friend that has the lathe, I don't personnelly have the lathe, where exactly is the crack located? Keep in mind the closer to the bell, the worst it is going to sound, if you are not experienced on a lathe, I suggest you find someone who is, it looks pretty complicated to me.

I have however done one myself with a hand grinder, yes a grinder, and it actually turned out really good, you just to go real slow, and keep the cymbal real steady, I used one of my hi-hat stands to hold it up, while I cut it, it really turned out great, but lathing is definitely the better way to go. Hope this helped.

User Info Menu

I'll post some pics in the morning... I'm tired as, it's late where I am.

Hb58
    My Kit: Pearl Session Custom 7 Piece w/ Zildjian Cymbals
    My Band: Lead Redemption
    Current Favourite Band: Necrophagist
    Current Favourite Song: To Rid The Disease - Opeth
    Next purchase: Pearl 18"x16" Floor Tom, Zildjian A Custom Crash

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

ya i have about a one inch crack maybe less in one of my fav cymbals its an 18 inch

so i guess i should cut it out eh

or would drilling be better???

amp

User Info Menu

amp If you have the resources, I would definetly cut it down, drilling in my opinion, does nothing but slow the crack down a little.

User Info Menu

has anyone ever heard of this

# Fix with epoxy

Cracked cymbals can be brought back to usefulness. The procedure works like this. Force Epoxy into the crack. Strike the cymbal hard several times to vibrate glue deeper into the crack. Apply more Epoxy and strike several times again. Wipe away excess. Bake the cymbal in a 200 degree oven for about an hour. This hardens the Epoxy to a glassy consistency. Let the cymbal cool naturally. Let stand for at least 24 hrs before playing. If done correctly, it works.

this is wat im trying right now

hope it works

User Info Menu

Amp dont waste your time or money, I promise this will not work, the sounds will be killed, I promise you, I have tried it, and it failed miserably, you would be better off drilling holes, than epoxy, do you have a hand grinder and a steady hand?

User Info Menu

Don't heat the cymbal, my God don't heat the cymbal, dude just drill holes, or if you have a hand grinder email me, but please stop what you are doing, right now.

User Info Menu

ok well i wont do that its not heated yet ill just wipe off the epoxy

ok so i dont have a hand grinder tho

so wat should i do

User Info Menu

Can you borrow one? if not the next best thing is either find someone that has a lathe, find someone or rent a hand grinder, or drill holes, if you get a hand grinder I can IM you and give you details on how to go about doing this, this method is just about as good as a lathe if you have good steady hands.

User Info Menu

ok so drilling holes

how would that go

just drill a line down the crack
    or like cut the whole piece out
    or drill one whole at the end of the crack

and like could u just use a hand drill, and what kind of bit

cuz ive never done this before

User Info Menu

no problem, if you are going to drill, use a 1/4" steel or metal bit and cut a hole at the end of the crack, with any hand drill, this is just a temp fix the crack will eventually start to spread again, but this will slow it down.

User Info Menu

I have my yahoo IM messanger open if you want to chat, my name is ddrumbum

User Info Menu

oh so pretty much it will eventually come back

User Info Menu

oh can i add u on msn cuz i dont have yahoo IM

not many ppl have that up in canada same with AIM

its just msn up here