Thread: The Difference Between Latin and African Beats?

User Info Menu

Default The Difference Between Latin and African Beats?

Hey, percussion brothas. I've done some African hand drumming and I'm curious as to what the difference is between Latin and African drum rythms? I've heard some of both styles, but they seem pretty similar. Can someone give me some of the key differences between the Latin and African rythmic styles?

User Info Menu

Default Re: The Difference Between Latin and African Beats?

There's not a lot of difference though it depends on the specific rhythm. Many of the beats from Latin countries originated from Africa. They came over with the slaves and influenced Latin musicians and their music. That's where you get Afro-Cuban (Africa/Cuba) music and similar styles. Of course it then all made it's way to America and continued to fuse with other musical styles. IMO, some of the most exciting jazz music has Afro-Cuban or Latin elements.

User Info Menu

While not definitive, I have noticed a few differences between afro/cuban and african drumming. I have noticed that in african drumming they do not use the heel/toe strokes very much, where in afro/cuban it is used a lot. Another difference I have noticed is the slaps. Afro/Cuban tends to use more closed slaps whereas african uses more open slaps.

You can definitely tell though that afro/cuban is derived from african roots.
    ---- If thine enemy wrong thee, buy each of his children a drum. - chinese proverb

User Info Menu

The "latin dances", samba, tango, rumba, cha cha, all have african rhythms at their root, but they add a little "swing" to em, IMHO. So not a drum answer, but something I have observed (no training on the matter).
    Yamaha DTXtreme III FrankenXpress w/ various pads and cymbals
    Pearl Eliminator w/Vater Bomber
    Roc-N-Soc Motion
    Vater 7A Sugar Maple
    Simmons DA-200S
    Sony MDR-7506
    MacBookPro Core2 Duo 2.33,4gb,500gb w/SD2, Reason 4, and LE9

http://s591.photobucket.com/albums/ss358/Charlygo/

User Info Menu

In my experience I have noticed a lot more 'triplet feel' (for lack of a better term) beats in African music than in Latin. i.e. 6/8 based rhythms in African drum music.
    Another thing is that in African tribal music they aren't much concerned with analysis of the beats or landing each beat exactly on the eighth/sixteenth/thirty-second note, etc.; they do it MUCH more by feel. To western ears this can sometimes sound like rushing, looseness, or even sloppiness, but the musicians are completely feeling it, never thinking 'did I hit that flam perfectly on the 16th note?'...

User Info Menu

Has anyone seen any good video's on youtube or elsewhere on playing congas "African Style" vs Cuban?
    LP Matador Quinto and Conga w/stands and matching Matador Bongos.

"Middle age is when you still believe you'll feel better in the morning."

User Info Menu

It is kind of hard to find authentic african beats played on them in videos in youtube. Not saying you can't, just more difficult to find. Now in west african they have a similar drum called the bougarabou which has cow skin for the head and is typically played in a set of three drums. With this video here, you can compare and contrast what you may play with three congas to what he is playing on the three bougarabous.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukaQTmdcu7o&NR=1"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukaQTmdcu7o&NR=1[/ame]
    Last edited by midgard; 07-03-2009 at 10:22 AM. Reason: updating history
    ---- If thine enemy wrong thee, buy each of his children a drum. - chinese proverb

User Info Menu

I'm no authority on this subject but could it be the type of drums too? Latin more congas and bongos and African more djembes Tablas dunun ect.

User Info Menu

Midgard, that was cool, I wanna apply somethin like that to the kit

http://bipolarbarbierocks.com

Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post
    Quit belly aching and just do it...no other way.
    - RIP Frank

User Info Menu

Hey BongoCajon
    Have you check out Babatunde (I know it is alot of ashiko and djembe)
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VT2J1Ot9N5c"]YouTube - Babatunde Djembe performance.[/ame]

Or this sample: listen for the throatiness of the congas in the mix
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ft0oma0ZlIo"]YouTube - NAMU World's percussion African conga[/ame]

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by luv4congas View Post
    I'm no authority on this subject but could it be the type of drums too? Latin more congas and bongos and African more djembes Tablas dunun ect.
    That's also what I'm finding. Not much congas in the African beats.

User Info Menu

I think I like the African rhythms more that the Cuban...primarily because I can't figure out clave and make it work. I am so independent and unorthodox in my playing style...

User Info Menu

I like Peach_tx observation. I like the easy 3/2(Hi Life) feel in African rhythms. there is a lite-ness and easy feeling. Makes me want to dance